Agilaz

Update Site Rules for 21st Century

I personally just don't find it necessary to police language here. People are responsible for their own posts and unless they are flaming or detracting from a conversation, it shouldn't be a big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J. Brony said:

I used to be the admin of a Star Fox fansite.  I had, amongst the membership, a pair of brothers.  One was maybe 11(?) and his younger sibling was 8.  The younger brother was causing issues for me because of a particular rule he didn't understand.  One of the members chose to stand up for me and told him off.  He dropped the F-bomb in the process.

A couple of days later I get an email from this kid's parents stating that they didn't appreciate the "inappropriate language" that their sons were being subjected to on my site and demanded that the offending word be removed.  Then they threatened to pull both of their children from my site if such "inappropriate behavior" continued.  Seeing as how the older brother was a sterling member of our community I didn't want to lose him.  So I was forced to apologize and comply.  

See, it's not the kids I'm concerned with.  It's the parents you have to beware of in these kinds of situations.  No one can account for what they'll do and I don't want Sethisto and the staff to have to deal with any messy clean-ups.

Hmm, you could give me the ability to ban members.  I think that'd solve my issue pretty quickly.  

Which reminds me, what are the stipulations regarding a reported post?  Like, say someone sees a post that offends them in some way and they hit the report button.  What would it take to actually get the staff to remove the offending post?

So you policed the language on the forum because the parents of two kids (who according to this COPPA thing shouldn't be there) didn't realize that in the real world people don't speak in rainbows, flowers, and unicorns? It's better to lose a few members because of some stupid parents than to censor people. 

2 minutes ago, MoltenKitten said:

So you policed the language on the forum because the parents of two kids (who according to this COPPA thing shouldn't be there) didn't realize that in the real world people don't speak in rainbows, flowers, and unicorns? It's better to lose a few members because of some stupid parents than to censor people. 

The forum was rated PG and open to everyone so I had only myself to blame.  It was a harsh lesson to learn.  After that all my other forums were rated R and a warning to underage members (and there parents) was issued so that they couldn't pin the blame on me in any way.

Anyway, yeah, the language filter is just something I've seen on a lot of boards in the past.  With MLP being geared towards younger viewers I thought it might be beneficial to have one here.  But if the staff says they're not concerned then I'm not either.

4 hours ago, J. Brony said:

Which reminds me, what are the stipulations regarding a reported post? Like, say someone sees a post that offends them in some way and they hit the report button. What would it take to actually get the staff to remove the offending post?

If it breaks the rules, it will get removed. 

3 hours ago, MoltenKitten said:

(who according to this COPPA thing shouldn't be there)

Ehh... like all things in this world, 'tis not that simple... but an okay-ish first step, nonetheless