PinkiePie97

Season 7, Episode 17: To Change a Changeling

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, WaterPulse said:

To add a minor complaint to a minor complaint, It doesn't help that when he did change, he was still his usual Salty Spitoon self.

Yeah, that's what really makes it unconvincing to me. ("Unconvincing" being my opinion on many things in this episode, really.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

The feelings forum was where those hints showed. Everyone hated how he always created weapons of defense, and Pharynx criticism all of them for being careless about the health of the hive while an enemy snooped outside. It annoyed him when the changelings settled for quick fixes. His epiphany in the climax was a revelation for everyone: Thorax, his kingdom, and Pharynx need each other.

I think everyone disliked him because he's rude and aggressive. He was teaching kids to fight without their parents' permission, for instance. 

Could you clarify what Pharynx actually learned? I thought this whole story was about him being proven right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Thrond said:

Could you clarify what Pharynx actually learned? I thought this whole story was about him being proven right. 

It's a bit unclear, but I believe it's that being part of a family doesn't mean abandoning your free will. Even though he changed in design, his personality stays the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Thrond said:

I think everyone disliked him because he's rude and aggressive. He was teaching kids to fight without their parents' permission, for instance. 

Could you clarify what Pharynx actually learned? I thought this whole story was about him being proven right. 

 

15 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

It's a bit unclear, but I believe it's that being part of a family doesn't mean abandoning your free will. Even though he changed in design, his personality stays the same.

 

I.e., it was a Both Sides Have A Point episode.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anti-Villain said:

I.e., it was a Both Sides Have A Point episode.

The new ways were full of only art and feelings and love.  Which is great, but Phalanx has a point:  You need to be able to protect yourself.  He didn't have to change completely, he just had to accept that things were different now.  The other side needed to understand that defense is important.  Yes, he may have gone about it the wrong way, but think about their reaction when Starlight admits her plan.  They absolutely were panicked.  This is a race that took on Canterlot in their first outing and they're afraid of this ONE creature.  I'm not saying Starlight made the right call, I'm saying that Phalanx was right that they weren't going to be able to protect their home from other things.  So, as @Anti-Villain said, both sides had a point.

What I loved is his color change showed he was different than the others.  The colors are different, his attitude is different, but he's needed to keep the hive in one piece. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was an okay episode. The new changelings are fun to watch and cute. I just loved their new way of life and I'm happy to finally have a look into them.

Starlight Glimmer and Trixie are, as usual, the most fun part of the episode. I love their interaction every time.

Pharynx was a nice character. I think that the problem is that he was right about the "pack". The changelings became helpless snowflakes and, in the end, their presence in the fight against the creature made no difference and who beat the creature were Thorax and Pharynx (and it's own stupidity)... I think I would've liked it better if the whole had beat the creature. I don't know if that was intentional, given how much of a waste of breath Celestia is defending the ponies and I thought that the "rulers" protecting the "people" is kinda contrary to what MLP has had for a theme. What I mean is... Usually, victory comes from unity not from personal strength (or cunning).

I don't know... Loved the worldbuilding but didn't really feel the plot. Specially how I felt that Starlight Glimmer and Trixie were completely unnecessary. So, in conclusion, a fine episode by giving us some more about the changelings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

.... I think that the problem is that he was right about the "pack". The changelings became helpless snowflakes and, in the end, their presence in the fight against the creature made no difference and who beat the creature were Thorax and Pharynx (and it's own stupidity)... I think I would've liked it better if the whole had beat the creature. I don't know if that was intentional, given how much of a waste of breath Celestia is defending the ponies and I thought that the "rulers" protecting the "people" is kinda contrary to what MLP has had for a theme. What I mean is... Usually, victory comes from unity not from personal strength (or cunning).

...

That, and having the pack join in opens up more opportunities for Schadenfreude on the creature's part.

Honestly, that fight scene had the potential to be cooler and/or funnier than it ended up being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

That, and having the pack join in opens up more opportunities for Schadenfreude on the creature's part.

Not sure what you mean with that. Want clear that up?

9 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

Honestly, that fight scene had the potential to be cooler and/or funnier than it ended up being.

The fight itself wasn't a problem to me. I actually liked the changelings grouping up and attacking. It actually made me chuckle because I remembered them body slamming the shield way back in the season 2 finale. What bothered me, is that I felt like them fighting didn't make a difference in actually beating the creature.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

Not sure what you mean with that. Want clear that up?

I thought it would have been funnier if the whole swarm played "Stop hitting yourself" with the creature instead of just the brothers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or do the new chanelings appear like hippies? It's nice they no longer feed on love, but srugs are not a decent alternative ^.^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....................................

WARNING. THE FOLLOWING VIEWER DISCRETION WARNING SHOULD NOT BE READ BY ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 21. MOST WILL NOT LIKE THIS. THEREFORE MY SUGGESTION IS DON'T READ IT. OR IF IT YOU DO DON'T RESPOND TO IT.

 

OH GOODIE. I'M GETTING SHIT SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT AGAIN. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED. (not) :applebelch:

You know what? Since this show is shoving shit down my throat... I'M GOING TO START DOING THE SAME GOD DAMN THING. SHOVE SHIT DOWN MY THROAT, I'LL SHOVE SHIT DOWN YOURS. :anger:

Why? BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE SHIT SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT. THAT'S WHY. :good:

First off... edgy Changeling easily captures NOT REDEEMED characters. That legitimately made me laugh. YOU TWO SUCK. GO BACK INTO THE HOLES YOU CRAWLED OUT FROM. :ajlol:

Thorax's brother is CLEARLY a jerk. It doesn't matter if he protected Thorax from bullies, he bullied him himself. That's a jerkass if I ever saw one. :newspaper:

As for the rest of the episode... I have nothing to say about it.

I really don't.

After I got done watching it... I didn't get the point of this episode. I'm not joking here.

What was the point of this episode? Seriously?

Because I didn't see one. AT ALL.

Was it to bring more development for the 'new Changelings'? If that's true... this episode DID NOT accomplish that. AT ALL. They weren't developed AT ALL with this shit that was shoved down my throat.

Was it to shove more BS down my throat and try to get me to like HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters? Well... the first part is accurate. The second part? LOLNEVER. :ohyou:

So... yeah...

More shit got shoved down my throat SO NOW I SHOVE SHIT DOWN THEIRS IN RESPONSE. I didn't see the point to this episode. AT ALL. What was the point exactly? Because I didn't see one.

What's that? You want me to say something positive?

Um... hmm...

I like that they're making more creatures/monsters/whatever you want to call that mole-bear-whatever it was called? That's about the only positive thing I can say.

Overall...

*locks and loads*

*SUPERMAN PUNCHES this episode*

Current Status:

Stay: 70%
Leave: 30%

Reason: You know what else I hate doing? Repeating myself. If it's not obvious why then I really don't know what else to say anymore.

:newspaper:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Oldmanjenkins said:

Post is now hidden.

1. Calm down.

2. You're dealing with a guy who not only whined about the trailer, but turned tail and ran after your previous spat and threw you into his ignore list as a result.

3. I read his rant and, outside his usual refusal of saying Starlight's name as if he was afraid of summoning her to his house like she was the freakin' Candyman, every one of his points were already covered by other members.

Edited by Badshot
Quoted a post now hidden
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2017 at 2:13 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

Hmm…changelings talking behind someone's back…reminds of this shithead couple three episodes ago. :dry:

Other renegade changelings confirmed. We have a TwiCon Four Situation. I say again: a TwiCon Four Situation.

 

The episode was... good. Gotta admit, I was waiting for some sort of Grateful Dead reference with the changelings. :P Unless I missed it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Oldmanjenkins said:

Post has been hidden.

Careful.  We're not supposed to engage in personal attacks.  I know he can be frustrating, but you don't want to get in trouble over it.

Edited by Badshot
Quoted a post now hidden
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LostSanity said:

.....................................

WARNING. THE FOLLOWING VIEWER DISCRETION WARNING SHOULD NOT BE READ BY ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 21. MOST WILL NOT LIKE THIS. THEREFORE MY SUGGESTION IS DON'T READ IT. OR IF IT YOU DO DON'T RESPOND TO IT.

  Reveal hidden contents

OH GOODIE. I'M GETTING SHIT SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT AGAIN. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED. (not) :applebelch:

You know what? Since this show is shoving shit down my throat... I'M GOING TO START DOING THE SAME GOD DAMN THING. SHOVE SHIT DOWN MY THROAT, I'LL SHOVE SHIT DOWN YOURS. :anger:

Why? BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE SHIT SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT. THAT'S WHY. :good:

First off... edgy Changeling easily captures NOT REDEEMED characters. That legitimately made me laugh. YOU TWO SUCK. GO BACK INTO THE HOLES YOU CRAWLED OUT FROM. :ajlol:

Thorax's brother is CLEARLY a jerk. It doesn't matter if he protected Thorax from bullies, he bullied him himself. That's a jerkass if I ever saw one. :newspaper:

As for the rest of the episode... I have nothing to say about it.

I really don't.

After I got done watching it... I didn't get the point of this episode. I'm not joking here.

What was the point of this episode? Seriously?

Because I didn't see one. AT ALL.

Was it to bring more development for the 'new Changelings'? If that's true... this episode DID NOT accomplish that. AT ALL. They weren't developed AT ALL with this shit that was shoved down my throat.

Was it to shove more BS down my throat and try to get me to like HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters? Well... the first part is accurate. The second part? LOLNEVER. :ohyou:

So... yeah...

More shit got shoved down my throat SO NOW I SHOVE SHIT DOWN THEIRS IN RESPONSE. I didn't see the point to this episode. AT ALL. What was the point exactly? Because I didn't see one.

What's that? You want me to say something positive?

Um... hmm...

I like that they're making more creatures/monsters/whatever you want to call that mole-bear-whatever it was called? That's about the only positive thing I can say.

Overall...

*locks and loads*

*SUPERMAN PUNCHES this episode*

Current Status:

Stay: 70%
Leave: 30%

Reason: You know what else I hate doing? Repeating myself. If it's not obvious why then I really don't know what else to say anymore.

:newspaper:

1. "THEREFORE MY SUGGESTION IS DON'T READ IT. OR IF IT YOU DO DON'T RESPOND TO IT."

Why? I mean, outside that episode earlier in this topic.

 

2. "Was it to shove more BS down my throat and try to get me to like HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters?"

Given my similar feelings towards Sombra and Radiant Hope, I ask this: what was it you thought that the Sombra/Radiant arc did right that prevented it from falling into the same trap as Starlight's?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

1. "THEREFORE MY SUGGESTION IS DON'T READ IT. OR IF IT YOU DO DON'T RESPOND TO IT."

Why? I mean, outside that episode earlier in this topic.

 

2. "Was it to shove more BS down my throat and try to get me to like HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters?"

Given my similar feelings towards Sombra and Radiant Hope, I ask this: what was it you thought that the Sombra/Radiant arc did right that prevented it from falling into the same trap as Starlight's?

It was just done better in general. It made more sense and didn't have some ridiculous BS like 'I LOST A FRIEND SO NOW I SHALL BE DICTATOR BECAUSE I'M WHINY AND I CAN'T MAKE NEW FRIENDS' crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

It was just done better in general. It made more sense and didn't have some ridiculous BS like 'I LOST A FRIEND SO NOW I SHALL BE DICTATOR BECAUSE I'M WHINY AND I CAN'T MAKE NEW FRIENDS' crap.

Better, yes, but would you consider that story in general to be good, based on its own merits?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

Better, yes, but would you consider that story in general to be good, based on its own merits?

 

I'm not sure what you mean here.

If you mean the story of the comic then not really no. But the redemption was done FAR BETTER.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

I'm not sure what you mean here.

If you mean the story of the comic then not really no. But the redemption was done FAR BETTER.

More like "barely better". While Radiant's actions and goals had at least some sort of sense, her actions were just as reckless as post-reformation (or post-"reformation", if you prefer) Starlight and barely gets called out for it, assuming I got my facts straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thorax continues his unbroken reign of adorbs. Nobrony is safe.

I can't be the only one who thought Pharynx was the mole-bear at first, right? Some kind of Scooby Doo-esque plan to make the hive feel threatened and that they needed him around? I feel like they were definitely building up the possibility, what with the plant-destruction and all.

I like that Starlight's rousing speech rolled a 1. Also, it's a small touch but her delivery was very deliberate, tipping the viewer off to the fact that yes, this was supposed to be a rousing speech and it was supposed to work. It helps build up the expectations that were going to be derailed in the next cut scene. Like I said, a small matter of execution but one that some actors/directors wouldn't have gone for.

I love the use of Craft Time as a gag, to show how different the rest of the hive has become from Pharynx. It's like the distinction drawn in Ponyville Confidential where DT barges in and starts barking about how there'd be "no namby-pamby stories," followed up with the objection "but Namby Pamby was a great editor!"

 

On a slightly more meta tangent, I think this episode may have been what some fans needed in the New Changelings. Fleshing out their attempts to cope with this new transformed state, giving them some characterization, not to mention adding a little bit to their lore, it should all go a long way towards mending the New Changeling hate. Especially since it was all executed well!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed this episode and identified with Pharynx as the crusty old soldier. Lots of witty writing, Trixie and Starlight are always awesome together. Not that it's bad or anything, but I wished Pharynx kept his original form, because it looked so cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now