Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

The PSS silent pistol

Just posting this footage in case you haven't already seen this pistol

tfw it's not in any video game

Edited by vman315
Leveled up link to embedded video.

Well it's a soviet prototype, probably discontinued at some point, I'm guessing that apart from it's obscure existence it doesn't really have a reason to be a substitute to any other silenced weapon in modern shooter games, unless it's a 100% soviet era stealth game :pinkieshrug:

Yes I have heard of the PSS it was definitely a great idea for a pistol but it is one of those things you are going to see often cause well that is the point of it being silent.

2 hours ago, Light Landstrider said:

Well it's a soviet prototype, probably discontinued at some point, I'm guessing that apart from it's obscure existence it doesn't really have a reason to be a substitute to any other silenced weapon in modern shooter games, unless it's a 100% soviet era stealth game :pinkieshrug:

Sorry but you said on of the things that tends to bother me which is saying the modern guns are silenced, which is an incorrect statement. Modern standard issue weapons are suppressed not silenced. The keep thing is that few to no games properly represent the suppressor and show that the only thing it really gets rid of is muzzle crack sound. There a multiple key sounds to gun fire, muzzle crack, bullet velocity, and mechanisms. The bullet itself still makes a pretty large sound and if you want to try to get rid of it you have to use subsonic ammunition which is eh when it comes to stopping power. More guns have been working on ways of forcing down sounds like the AAC Honey Badger and yes there is a real gun called the Honey Badger I am not joking.

@Cyber Commander Thanks for the correction, I didn't mean that the suppressor on weapons was the only factor to a silent weapon, I know weapons usually use a combination of subsonic rounds and the suppressor for muzzle flash and sound.

It was more about what we find in video games as a standard, you are more likely to have a game like CoD be like "here is a suppressor for your motherfucking shotgun, now nobody will hear you unload 12 gauge buckshot in fools" than "here is a subsonic round shooting micro pistol that is TRULY silent".

But yeah, fully agree for IRL weapons, although now that I think about it most shooter games do get a lower damage value when you equip a suppressor, so I'm guessing they are "simulating" subsonic rounds to some extent (and balancing).

This thing reminds me of the Fallout 4's 10 mm pistol in design... Just me? Must be the curves....

[Ramble]

As Light stated this is probably a cold-war era prototype pistol which didn't really catch on very well outside the Union. I can see a few reasons just from that video:

First of all it uses a specialized ammo type with is a modified 7.62mm AK round where the bullet has been compressed into a special 8mm casing with much less powder and a piston system unlike a standard 7.62. Less powder means less bullet velocity which ends up making it a sub-sonic round (it doesn't pass the sound barrier and produce the signature crack when something does) however, considering the weight of a standard Ak bullet, reducing the powder will be at a very steep cost of power and range. Even then, the production of specialized ammo is quite expensive, even if you can still use the standard mass-produced 7.62 bullets you still have to manufacture new specialized casings.

Second it's quite heavy. For an unloaded pistol 850 grams is quite a bit even by today's standards. Considering it's size and the fact it's suppressed and rather small for easy concealment that's quite heavy. For comparison the Walther PPK weighs in between 450 grams to 780 grams depending on the model, heck even current day Glock models range from 380 grams to 835 grams, albeit none of those are inherently suppressed. 

Which brings me to my last point which is viability. Considering the round is a custom 7.62 converted into a specialized sub-sonic package I'd say the effective range is at best in between 20-50 meters maximum. Couple that with the fact that you only have 6 rounds in a single magazine and the gun likely starts weighing at around 1 kg while loaded, it really doesn't seem like a very viable side-arm even for covert operations. 

If you consider the Western competition at the time with pistols like the PPK which have been around for a good 30 odd years and established itself during World War 2, the alternatives are much cheaper than making your own. If anything this thing's a proof of concept that you can make a "silent" pistol by introducing specialized ammo rather than adding a suppressor albeit making it awkward to use and not very effective. 

Heck, the thing's name literally translates to : Specialized Self-loading Pistol.

@Cyber Commander That Honey Badger has one huge ass Integral Suppressor as a barrel though, more or less applying suppressor tech on a larger scale but it still needs sub-sonic rounds.

[/Ramble]

@Skyrazer It used to be that the N99 10 mm pistol was based on the Desert Eagle's design, of course being fallout it was an invented weapon but it's design got somewhat of an overhaul in Fallout 4, although the heavy barrel kind of brings it's traditional look back.