InklingBear

The Darkest Moments in the Show

Hello.

There's been some times where the one show we love, can get a little bit dark at some parts in the show as a whole. Although some people may argue about what can be considered as "dark" based on how it was played out in the final version of the episodes that aired. You know, scenes that may be a bit too difficult to watch, or just downright disturbing.

From morbid curiosity, what do you think was the darkest/creepiest/disturbing moment in the series? After all this, you'll probably wonder if ponies are still for young girls.

Here is a quick recap of some episodes that may be considered dark:

Swarm of the Century [Falling victim to parasprites]

The Stare Master [Twilight turned to stone]

A Bird in the Hoof [Incineration]

Party of One [Pinkie's Insanity, talking to inanimate objects]

The Return of Harmony [Discord, black humor]

Lesson Zero [Twilight's Insanity, black humor]

Baby Cakes [Pound Cake walking on the ceiling]

Dragon Quest [homicide]

Hurricane Fluttershy [surrounding eyeballs]

Ponyville Confidential [abuse, wrongful shunning, blackmail]

A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1 [Fake Cadence casts a ring of green fire, Twilight disappears]

The Crystal Empire [Slavery, dark magic, door that leads to worst fears]

Too Many Pinkie Pies [implied homicide]

Magic Duel [Posession, slavery]

Magical Mystery Cure [Incineration]

Castle Mane-ia [Animal cruelty]

For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils [Rarity's insanity]

Twilight's Kingdom [Satanic centaur, soul stealing]

The Cutie Map [communist dictatorship, charisma, propaganda]

Tanks For The Memories [Five stages of Grief, death/loss]

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep [Self-harm / depression]

Crusaders of the Lost Mark [Possible implied death]

The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows [Panic Attack through restrain]

Scare Master [Psycho]

The Cutie Remark [War]

No Second Prances [Manticore Trick]

Where The Apple Lies [implied amputation]

These are all the ones I seem to remember, If there's one I missed, let me know.

-----

The Cutie Map was the most disturbing one imo, just about almost the entire premiere was crazy.

• Like 1

The only one which can be considered dark is The Cutie Map, and that is because of the marxist-like indoctrination in the world of pone, riddled with Orwellian concepts and uses of population control.

Other than that, MLP has nothing truly dark in it - not like other, older kids shows and most classic Disney movies.

• Like 1

True darkness is only ever briefly touched upon in this show, for obvious reasons.

There's about ten seconds in the episode Party Pooped that are among the darkest in the show's history. Starting here.

Castle Mania also gave us a brief, seven-second glimpse of the ancient castle's darkest secret.

As far as I know, these are the darkest moments in the show.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucas H said:

The only one which can be considered dark is The Cutie Map, and that is because

You like to take an authoritative tone in your posts, don't you? "Dark" is pretty subjective, Professor Know-It-All. There's plenty that can be considered dark in MLP. It touches on some serious subjects! The most horrifying elements to me are Nightmare Moon's and Discord's respective 1,000-year imprisonments, especially Discord, who while trapped in stone and unable to move was still aware of everything that was going on around him.

• Like 1

For me darkest moment would probably be when Tirek blackmailed Twilight to give up her magic to save her friends. Show is about friendship and losing friends like that would be darkest thing in my humble opinion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

True darkness is only ever briefly touched upon in this show, for obvious reasons.

There's about ten seconds in the episode Party Pooped that are among the darkest in the show's history. Starting here.

Castle Mania also gave us a brief, seven-second glimpse of the ancient castle's darkest secret.

As far as I know, these are the darkest moments in the show.

6 hours ago, Lucas H said:

The only one which can be considered dark is The Cutie Map, and that is because of the marxist-like indoctrination in the world of pone, riddled with Orwellian concepts and uses of population control.

Other than that, MLP has nothing truly dark in it - not like other, older kids shows and most classic Disney movies.

There are a lot of dark moments in the series. The Cutie Map is psychological horror. Return of Harmony and LZ have a lot of black humor. A Bird in the Hoof showed a phoenix bursting herself into flames. SB's nightmare in Toils. Dash melting down after FS tells her she'll be petless for the winter. It hasn't been a purely lighthearted show.

My choice would have to go with The Cutie Map's two scenes:

1. "Our Town" and the characters singing "You can't have a nightmare if you never dream."
  2. The Mane Six are trapped in Starlight's brainwashing room; Starlight's cool voice repeatedly echoes to hammer in her philosophy.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Lucas H said:

I have to agree with @Friendship is Horses. It could be argued that there is only one 'Truly dark' plot in MLP, but that is you opinion. Not an objective fact. What about how  - although they have never explicitly mentioned it - it is heavily implied that Applejacks parents are dead? I think that that could be considered dark. They didn't have to put something like that in the show, as pretty much none of the younger audience would pickup on it.

What do you define as 'dark'? There are many situations in MLP that could be argued as being 'dark' as the original post first suggested. They may have varying degrees of severity, but they are still objectively dark nonetheless.

For me it's the dark magic stuff involving Sombra.

Nothing else has really come close.

You want dark?

Trying killing someone off and not parading around the subject like they just 'went to a better place' or 'went on permanent vacation' or got 'put on a bus' or other ridiculous excuses other shows use to avoid the subject of death.

34 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

For me it's the dark magic stuff involving Sombra.

Nothing else has really come close.

You want dark?

Trying killing someone off and not parading around the subject like they just 'went to a better place' or 'went on permanent vacation' or got 'put on a bus' or other ridiculous excuses other shows use to avoid the subject of death.

Can we still say they went to HFIL?

• Like 1

1. "The Crystal Empire" suggests a few disturbing things about Sombra and his rule without ever explicitly stating them, and that makes them even creepier. 

2. "The Cutie Map" has some terrifyingly literal representations of cultish indoctrination techniques, and goes to all sorts of dark places with that.

3. The war and armageddon depicted in "The Cutie Re-Mark" are pretty intense.

Those would be my picks. 

• Like 2

For me, Twilight begging Starlight to stop her revenge plan while in a desolate moonscape. It looked like something straight from Fallout. Starlight's VA is amazing at channeling pure rage as well.