Nuke87654

Nuke's Equestria Girls' series Review

33 minutes ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Well... nice job, Hasbro. Just fucking great.

Don't forget this:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Well... nice job, Hasbro. Just fucking great.

There's a reason why people keep asking about Sunset & Equestria on almost every single Q&A.

On topic:

Personally i think the First movie remains the black sheep of the series, it's simply the worst one by far, while some people also critize Friendship Games / Legend of Everfree for various reasons, i think those movies had some redeeming qualities in there.

When i first watched EqG 1, i was rather neutral towards it, but when i watched during a marathon (EqG 1 to Legend of Everfree), i realized that the Movie is so much worse compared to it's sequels.

I honestly have issues finding redeeming qualities within the first movie.

Sunset remains one of the worst villains, her whole motivations can be summed by "Because i'm a prick".

The Character Design with those super fat boots is just bad, luckily they ditched that for any character introduced after EqG1 and finally ditch it for every main / secondary character with the new youtube series.

Some Plots are just pointless, like the Flash Sentry romance, the screentime used for this could've been used on anything else to portray Sunset a little better or give some time to Twilight trying to bring everyone together.

Also, the finale with Sunset just "Oh, i'm sorry" felt horribly contrived.

The few things that "saves" the movie from a horrible rating is the fact that it had the difficult task of introducing this new universe and the fact that the songs were just great, which luckily became a big plus for the sequels as well.

2 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

You do make a good point that perhaps a reason for that is because they'd probably only thought of making her part of the mane group late in production but it was too late to alter the montage at the end. Perhaps originally she wasn't supposed to be added in but they decided to change that probably in response to how tired and overused the mane 6 are and they needed to shake the formula up to remedy it if they're going to continue.

While the writers themselves probably won't admit it, i believe that the decision to redeem Starlight and turn her into a (more or less) main character was based on Sunsets popularity post Rainbow Rocks.

It's just too coincidental in my opinion that Starlight was redeemed in the very season that followed Rainbow Rocks, while her character might've been designed beforehand, the decision to redeem her in the finale probably wasn't present when they wrote the Season 5 pilot, or at least not give the role within the show she received later on.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Anti-Villain said:

Don't forget this:

Ooh, yes. Good one. And quite appropriate, too.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyP said:

There's a reason why people keep asking about Sunset & Equestria on almost every single Q&A.

Actually was legit not aware of that. Thank you. And so, so expected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

As for the comic, the primary reason why it wasn't good is that for the most part, it pretty much didn't showed anything to show Sunset as being anything other than a power hungry brat who didn't gave a damn about anything but power and control as she pretty much demanded and yelled at Celestia for alicorn ascension and was angry she was holding this out from her. Thus if you wanted to see if there was an innocent side to Sunset that could've showed something good in her, the comic did her no favors.

Which makes me wonder why they turned her good in the first place. Well, outside of selling figurines.

If this is the direction they wanted to take with Sunset, they probably would have been better off making a movie between EG and Rainbow Rocks where Sunset learns that her being a douchebag is why ponies/people don't respect her, similar to what happened with Diamond Tiara in "Crusaders Of The Lost Mark".

Edit: Also, it wouldn't surprise me if JohnnyP's theory is true.

• Like 2

@Nuke87654
And I find the description you provided right now for Starlight better example. Because she is showing relapses to her bad behavior and difficulty in changing herself. And others being slow to trust he is more logical too, I mean she isn't a saint and to this day a number of people would love to see her in Tartarus. I find it having difficulty overcoming a problem and lack of will more realistic. Honestly I can relate to that more than to Sunset who became prodigy at friendship after having major personality transplant and one rock concert. 

Life changing decisions are hard, you are basically trying to forget years and years of experience. So yeah Starlight being unwilling is understandable and having no chemistry shows why she had difficulty making friends which would possibly be reason why she never had real friends before. In case of Sunset I am left with the question of "ok so if it is that easy for you, then why didn't you ever do it before?". Basically Starlight is an introvert with hard time connecting with others and Sunset is extrovert that makes it look easy for her even though it is not.     

Oh and the 3rd special happened long after both Sunset and Starlight achieved their arc development and they probably have more in common than with other mane six. 

Also this is purely subjective matter. I am stating emotional based opinion, not cold hard indisputable facts. Oh and regarding Starlight's pre-reform intentions? Well "Path to hell is paved with good intentions".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JohnnyP said:

It's just too coincidental in my opinion that Starlight was redeemed in the very season that followed Rainbow Rocks, while her character might've been designed beforehand, the decision to redeem her in the finale probably wasn't present when they wrote the Season 5 pilot, or at least not give the role within the show she received later on.

Think also the design supports your claim. The season 5 Starlight had a matron styled hair, showing her as control freak basically. But that design didn't work for a new character so now she has a more friendlier design. Heck she was designed to be Anti-Twilight with similar colors and cutie mark but with perverted sense of harmony. While I can believe that they planed to forgive her in the end, since she was a regular pony and show always liked forgiveness, but I don't believe that she ever would have become Sunset 2.0 and what you have pointed out makes too much sense to me. 

Oh and I do agree with all your points regarding EqG1.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

Which makes me wonder why they turned her good in the first place. Well, outside of selling figurines.

If this is the direction they wanted to take with Sunset, they probably would have been better off making a movie between EG and Rainbow Rocks where Sunset learns that her being a douchebag is why ponies/people don't respect her, similar to what happened with Diamond Tiara in "Crusaders Of The Lost Mark".

The first draft of Rainbow Rocks didn't feature Sunset, presumably one reason why she's almost absent from any promotion material for the movie.

The thing about the "Fall of Sunset Shimmer" comic is that was written / released alongside the first movie and Rebecca Shoichet also recently said she was surprised that Sunset was redeemed at all at the end of the first movie, implying there were some lines recorded that led her to believe that Sunset will be "killed off".

The Intention to turn her into a full fledged main character simply wasn't there yet.

In other words, the idea for redeeming Sunset (At least the way she got redeemed in Rainbow Rocks) wasn't present when the first movie was written and the writers might have thought that having an unrepentful Sunset might be the wrong message for the movie.

I honestly believe that the first movie was written under the impression there would be no sequel, when they wrote Rainbow Rocks and realized there would be more EqG Content to come, they decided to turn her into this series main character, which is further cemented by the fact that Sci-Twi was originally intended to go back to Crystal prep at the end of Friendship games, leaving Sunset as the sole main character of EqG.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnnyP said:

The first draft of Rainbow Rocks didn't feature Sunset, presumably one reason why she's almost absent from any promotion material for the movie.

The thing about the "Fall of Sunset Shimmer" comic is that was written / released alongside the first movie and Rebecca Shoichet also recently said she was surprised that Sunset was redeemed at all at the end of the first movie, implying there were some lines recorded that led her to believe that Sunset will be "killed off".

The Intention to turn her into a full fledged main character simply wasn't there yet.

In other words, the idea for redeeming Sunset (At least the way she got redeemed in Rainbow Rocks) wasn't present when the first movie was written and the writers might have thought that having an unrepentful Sunset might be the wrong message for the movie.

I honestly believe that the first movie was written under the impression there would be no sequel, when they wrote Rainbow Rocks and realized there would be more EqG Content to come, they decided to turn her into this series main character, which is further cemented by the fact that Sci-Twi was originally intended to go back to Crystal prep at the end of Friendship games, leaving Sunset as the sole main character of EqG.

If having Sunset not get killed off was a last minute decision and the possibility of sequels (and, by extension, possible development for Sunset) was in serious doubt, I think they would have been better in giving Sunset a light punishment like janitor duty in Canterlot High. It gives a humorous, unambiguous closure to her arc if the series ended there and leaves open the possibility of a redemption when the green light for sequels was given.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2017 at 6:21 PM, JohnnyP said:

On topic:

Personally i think the First movie remains the black sheep of the series, it's simply the worst one by far, while some people also critize Friendship Games / Legend of Everfree for various reasons, i think those movies had some redeeming qualities in there.

When i first watched EqG 1, i was rather neutral towards it, but when i watched during a marathon (EqG 1 to Legend of Everfree), i realized that the Movie is so much worse compared to it's sequels.

I honestly have issues finding redeeming qualities within the first movie.

Sunset remains one of the worst villains, her whole motivations can be summed by "Because i'm a prick".

The Character Design with those super fat boots is just bad, luckily they ditched that for any character introduced after EqG1 and finally ditch it for every main / secondary character with the new youtube series.

Some Plots are just pointless, like the Flash Sentry romance, the screentime used for this could've been used on anything else to portray Sunset a little better or give some time to Twilight trying to bring everyone together.

Also, the finale with Sunset just "Oh, i'm sorry" felt horribly contrived.

The few things that "saves" the movie from a horrible rating is the fact that it had the difficult task of introducing this new universe and the fact that the songs were just great, which luckily became a big plus for the sequels as well.

While the writers themselves probably won't admit it, i believe that the decision to redeem Starlight and turn her into a (more or less) main character was based on Sunsets popularity post Rainbow Rocks.

Yea I had minor issues with them despite my favor for their designs. The fat boots I've heard plenty of reasons why Hasbro chose them. One hand was to emulate the pony hooves from the show and the other was to make them more modest or so since it shows less leg skin than regular shoes. Personally, I feel the former is more likely since the latter is less sensible when practically every girl at Canterlot high is wearing one of the more attractive types of outfits for women to wear with skirts. 

And you're right, the movie pretty much was saved because the plot works despite it's many issues and that it does help setup the EQG verse up, which such pilots aren't going to to turn out well quality wise since you have to go and explain to everyone what verse and story you're trying to tell in it while introducing the characters we're supposed to care about.

As for the theory, I believe that to be true as from what M.A Larson had said about Starlight Glimmer, when he left S5's production, they had no idea what to do with her. This was notable in the S5 finale where it seemed to be wrapping up Starlight's initial issues she had caused and how Starlight seemed to be a twisted foil to Twilight's belief in harmony as @Cinder Vel pointed out. I do believe that Sunset may have what inspired Starlight to be reformed and become part of the cast as they'd probably hoped they could make a Sunset 2.0 with her. Nice.

23 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

Edit: Also, it wouldn't surprise me if JohnnyP's theory is true.

As @JohnnyP said, I've heard this as well where initially Sunset was supposed to be in the background or so and not really brought up again. It took her va to literally beg for an expanded role with her character as she saw how they were adding more EQG stuff and she really liked her. The rest, it would surprise me if they didn't anticipated for it to be popular to warrant sequels so they probably were initially playing it safe where they left out options to bring her up to a better role if need be.

17 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

@Nuke87654
And I find the description you provided right now for Starlight better example. Because she is showing relapses to her bad behavior and difficulty in changing herself. And others being slow to trust he is more logical too, I mean she isn't a saint and to this day a number of people would love to see her in Tartarus. I find it having difficulty overcoming a problem and lack of will more realistic. Honestly I can relate to that more than to Sunset who became prodigy at friendship after having major personality transplant and one rock concert. 

Life changing decisions are hard, you are basically trying to forget years and years of experience. So yeah Starlight being unwilling is understandable and having no chemistry shows why she had difficulty making friends which would possibly be reason why she never had real friends before. In case of Sunset I am left with the question of "ok so if it is that easy for you, then why didn't you ever do it before?". Basically Starlight is an introvert with hard time connecting with others and Sunset is extrovert that makes it look easy for her even though it is not.     

Oh and the 3rd special happened long after both Sunset and Starlight achieved their arc development and they probably have more in common than with other mane six. 

Also this is purely subjective matter. I am stating emotional based opinion, not cold hard indisputable facts. Oh and regarding Starlight's pre-reform intentions? Well "Path to hell is paved with good intentions".

I would agree with that too, but the issue was of how the S6 finale screwed that up by essentially declaring how well she's learning friendship when last episode with her, Every Little thing she does essentially was her finally deciding to give friendship a try. We don't see how she actually progresses there after other than Twilight just praising her cause she says she did a good job but we never saw that. That's what I meant when she needed an episode to show her liking friendship as it's the moment when Starlight actually moves from reluctantly trying to do friendship lessons to starting to like it and doing it out of care for it. You're right that if executed better, Starlight's path is more realistic in villain reformation, though considering how we can presume Sunset had months to make amends, it's not too far fetch that she would learn what she messed up and how to be a better person.

It's alright for Starlight to be nervous and worry about speaking to others and being shy with folks, it's just that I felt they poorly executed her character in S6 where it felt like she didn't progressed as well as the finale would want you to believe and thus she felt underdeveloped, let alone all the issues she had caused in her episodes. Sunset in comparison just stands better compared to her since she felt like she's developing and becoming that better person while with Starlight you don't really feel like she's comfortable with it till S7 really.

True, I'm just making a point of how Sunset in much shorter time with Starlight managed to bond with her better than Twilight and her in S6 where I didn't felt the level of comfort the two showed between each other that Sunset and Starlight did.

I always felt like that Starlight was being a spoiled brat and wanted her utopia so she never have to feel pain again. Just her vision for harmony involved enforced leveling and removing cutie marks as she blamed that on causing her split with Sunburst (which itself has plenty of issues for why that happened).

• Like 4

On 9/18/2017 at 9:55 PM, WaterPulse said:

When it comes to Hasbro, never doubt the power and allure of merchandising.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

Yea I had minor issues with them despite my favor for their designs. The fat boots I've heard plenty of reasons why Hasbro chose them. One hand was to emulate the pony hooves from the show and the other was to make them more modest or so since it shows less leg skin than regular shoes. Personally, I feel the former is more likely since the latter is less sensible when practically every girl at Canterlot high is wearing one of the more attractive types of outfits for women to wear with skirts. 

And you're right, the movie pretty much was saved because the plot works despite it's many issues and that it does help setup the EQG verse up, which such pilots aren't going to to turn out well quality wise since you have to go and explain to everyone what verse and story you're trying to tell in it while introducing the characters we're supposed to care about.

As for the theory, I believe that to be true as from what M.A Larson had said about Starlight Glimmer, when he left S5's production, they had no idea what to do with her. This was notable in the S5 finale where it seemed to be wrapping up Starlight's initial issues she had caused and how Starlight seemed to be a twisted foil to Twilight's belief in harmony as @Cinder Vel pointed out. I do believe that Sunset may have what inspired Starlight to be reformed and become part of the cast as they'd probably hoped they could make a Sunset 2.0 with her. Nice.

As @JohnnyP said, I've heard this as well where initially Sunset was supposed to be in the background or so and not really brought up again. It took her va to literally beg for an expanded role with her character as she saw how they were adding more EQG stuff and she really liked her. The rest, it would surprise me if they didn't anticipated for it to be popular to warrant sequels so they probably were initially playing it safe where they left out options to bring her up to a better role if need be.

Regarding the design, the reason why they all wear skirts is simply because knee high boots + jeans isn't exactly a summer / spring outfit. (Or just looks shitty, in my opinion)

I've heard the thing about emulating hooves before, however i have to say that if it's the truth, it was a stupid idea, they are humans, the fact that the main characters gain pony tail / wings / ears is enough, at least Rarity / Sunset / Twilight don't grow horns on their forehead when they pony up, i couldn't imagine how horrible that would look.

As for modesty, maybe during EqG 1 but when i look at their new  design, they have no issues showing leg skin, heck if the new mini collection is any indication there might be an beach episode.

No idea whether Rebecca Shoichet had any influence on that, it was mentioned on the Audio commentary for Rainbow Rocks that Meghan McCarthy came up with "making Sunset big" after the draft of the movie. (at least as far as i remember, quite some time since i watched said audio commentary).

I Wouldn't surprise if it's true however, Rebecca Shoichet mentioned that she really wanted to cast a main character on the main show and hoped EqG would be as popular as the main show when they came around again, plus she really does an amazing job on Sunset, both voice acting and singing.

I agree that they expected Sunset to be popular, altough i think the surprising thing regarding that is that hype surrounding the character has, at least in my opinion, not really diminished over the years, despite that the sequels were not as good as Rainbow rocks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnnyP said:

Regarding the design, the reason why they all wear skirts is simply because knee high boots + jeans isn't exactly a summer / spring outfit. (Or just looks shitty, in my opinion)

I've heard the thing about emulating hooves before, however i have to say that if it's the truth, it was a stupid idea, they are humans, the fact that the main characters gain pony tail / wings / ears is enough, at least Rarity / Sunset / Twilight don't grow horns on their forehead when they pony up, i couldn't imagine how horrible that would look.

As for modesty, maybe during EqG 1 but when i look at their new  design, they have no issues showing leg skin, heck if the new mini collection is any indication there might be an beach episode.

No idea whether Rebecca Shoichet had any influence on that, it was mentioned on the Audio commentary for Rainbow Rocks that Meghan McCarthy came up with "making Sunset big" after the draft of the movie. (at least as far as i remember, quite some time since i watched said audio commentary).

I Wouldn't surprise if it's true however, Rebecca Shoichet mentioned that she really wanted to cast a main character on the main show and hoped EqG would be as popular as the main show when they came around again, plus she really does an amazing job on Sunset, both voice acting and singing.

I agree that they expected Sunset to be popular, altough i think the surprising thing regarding that is that hype surrounding the character has, at least in my opinion, not really diminished over the years, despite that the sequels were not as good as Rainbow rocks.

True. I honestly feel the boots came after Hasbro mandated Colonel Mustang's order that all women must wear skirts in EQG. As for the hooves thing, I'd imagine it probably holds some truth to it considering how over the top they were in size and how they turn to furries with their anime power up time. 

Yea, that may have been the case with EQG 1, but it's clear as the series aged later down the line that they started to loosen the modesty standards though not too much as the swimsuits are still modest. A noted thing I heard from the EQG2 commentary is that they had to edit some stuff out of the Sirens cause they appeared and moved too sexy for Hasbro's liking so it's apparent that such a censor does exist. 

As for Rebecca, yea I feel that she really loves the series and wanted a chance to make her mark with a character instead of simply being the singer for several characters. She probably grew attached to Sunset Shimmer since it was her character through and through in voice. Thus, I felt as soon as she heard it was getting sequels, she probably came and begged them to give her character an expanded role. Good choice as Sunset is one of the series's brightest spots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuke87654 said:

As for Rebecca, yea I feel that she really loves the series and wanted a chance to make her mark with a character instead of simply being the singer for several characters. She probably grew attached to Sunset Shimmer since it was her character through and through in voice. Thus, I felt as soon as she heard it was getting sequels, she probably came and begged them to give her character an expanded role. Good choice as Sunset is one of the series's brightest spots.

If that's true, then Mrs. Shoichet warrants this:

• Like 2

Well, I'll continue to do the EQG review series by now doing the shorts for them. These named shorts I've chosen are the following in Music to My Ears, Guitar Centered, Hamstocalypse Now, Pinkie on the one, Player Piano, and a Case for the Bass. Here, due to the short nature of the animated shorts, I will not give a grade save for a pass or fail. Here I will explain each shorts info and what I thought on each of them.

1. Music to My Ears is the first of these animated shorts that was meant to tie into the Rainbow Rocks promotion. The writer of the short is Cindy Morrow and the storyboard artist is Carrie Mombourquette.

According to the director Ishi Rudell, the original ending was going to have Principal Celestia rock out to Vinyl Scratch's tunes till it was edited out. The short was adapted into chapters 4, 7, and 15 of the screenplay novelization of the Rainbow Rocks movie. The music from the short can be heard in the Rainbow Rock motion picture soundtrack.

Vinyl Scratch rocks out to her music as she goes about her daily routine.

Now, I will explain here what I liked and didn't liked. What I enjoyed was seeing the good use of the dubstep music to show off Vinyl's character and how she perceives the world.

latest?cb=20141211045539

Which apparently is all purple.

One great decision I liked they did make use here is using flash effects to great effect such as the purple haze, the ripple effects, and other sound and vision effects such as the music waves in Vinyl's glass shades to show the expressions and to convey what is going on as Vinyl is rocking to her dubstep music.

latest?cb=20141211044956

Including this crossing guard rocking out to it.

To further highlight the point above, the only person that speaks any line at all in the shorts is Mrs. Cake asking Vinyl what she wanted. I liked that choice in using the music and effects to speak for this episode as it allows the audience to better interpret the world around them in their own way without being explicitly told what they're saying or doing. A good case of showing and not telling.

Now the only flaw I can think of is that if you're not a fan of Dubstep music, you won't like this short as it will make heavy use of it. 

In a good case of a tech demo and helping to develop how Vinyl Scratch would prove immune to the Siren's charms in the movie with her love of loud dubstep music, Music to my Ears is a nice short that does what it wanted to well enough.

Passing grade.

2. Guitar Centered is the 2nd of these animated shorts. It is written by Amy Keating Rogers and the storyboard artist is Mike Alcock.

The short was adapted into the Rainbow Rocks movie novel in chapters 2 and 3. An altered snippet of the short is shown on Rainbow Dash's cell phone.

As Rainbow Dash and her friends try to help her out to get a new guitar, Trixie wants the same guitar she wants so they must battle it out through a guitar battle to get it. 

I really loved the rock battle these two had as I really loved the guitar hero style battle where the two would due it out to see which one had the better rock tunes and is able to rock better.

latest?cb=20141211051530

Just like how I used to play guitar hero.

What makes this battle sweet is the rock tunes are to my ears as I'm a fan of rock music, especially by shredding guitars. More importantly is that this is where we get to see how Rainbow Dash would transform to her anthro form and even have her guitar transformed to fit her character more, prompting her to give up the guitar she wanted for the one she felt fitted her better. Course, Trixie would realize the guitar she wanted was too expensive so she lost out on the end.

There was really nothing I didn't liked other than if folks aren't fans of guitar battles.

Overall, this is another passing grade as I was especially pleased by the rock music, I liked how the short set up for how Rainbow Dash got her powered up form back, but also how Rainbow Dash had chosen to accept the guitar she played with as her own instrument instead of the other in a sign of appreciation for the instrument she won with. 

Passing grade.

3. Hamstocalypse Now is the third animated short in the Equestria Girls series. It is written by Josh Haber and the first storyboard artist is Dan Houghs with the 2nd one being Kanako Iwata. The short was adapted into the Rainbow Rocks novelization for chapters 8 and 9. 

Fluttershy and Rarity volunteer for a rescue center to help tend to the animals and clean a notably dirty hamster habitat. 

What I liked was seeing was seeing one hamster in particular who grew to like Rarity's fashion and how she even named each hamster while she was tending to them.

latest?cb=20141211053655

Curtis Pawpower knows how to be sassy.

Also, this short sets up for how Fluttershy would get her tambourine and her rainbowfied power form for the movie.

Other than that, I didn't liked how anemic the tambourine music was here as it was too soft and not so passion filled as it could've been. Tambourines are passionate dancing instruments and here I thought Fluttershy was too soft with it. Also, I wasn't particularly pleased with Fluttershy here as Rarity was more entertaining than her in her own short.

Overall, while it's till a passing grade simply cause Hamstocalypse Now does what it needed well, I felt this was the weakest compared to the previous two as I wasn't impressed with Fluttershy's music playing and ultimately felt Rarity outshone her in her own short.

Passing grade

4. Pinkie on the One is the 4th of the EQG shorts. The writer is Josh Haber with Mike Alcock serving as the storyboard artists. The short was adapted into the novel of Rainbow Rocks in chapters 10, 11, and 12.

Pinkie Pie plays some tunes and beats by beating on stuff while Rainbow Dash tries to search for a needed drummer. 

I like the short for how animated and fun Pinkie Pie was having as she managed to strike some good tunes playing whatever she can while she hears and listens to what Rainbow Dash is trying to say to her about finding that drummer she needs.

latest?cb=20141211055404

She's having tons of fun drumming. Even heard a bit of land down under there too.

Of course, this is another short that sets up Pinkie Pie for how she got her rainbow powered form in EQG. Also I liked it a bit for the pinkiedash chemistry on a personal note.

Overall, Pinkie on the One is definitely better than the last one as it was more fun, Pinkie Pie was entertaining throughout, and it helps set her own part up for the Rainbow Rocks movie. 

Passing Grade.

5. Player Piano is the fifth animated short in the EQG series. It is written by Amy Keating Rogers and it's storyboard artist is for the first draft is Dan Hughes and the revisionist is Kanako Iwata. 

Ishi Rudell would point out that Ronald Jenkees's Throwing Fire was the inspiration for Rarity's Key-tar music. This short was adapted into the RR movie novelization in chapters 13 and 14. 

Rarity tries to bring her grand piano to band practice as she wishes to add a more classical music to the band's setup despite how her friends wanted her to try something different. 

Now I liked the keytar music as I enjoyed it as I felt it bewitching me.

latest?cb=20141211060747

Much like how Rarity used her lady charm to get the Diamond Boys to help her out with carrying the piano. Especially as they plowed right through the student body to get Rarity to the music room.

Also, this one as well set up Rarity for how she got her own instrument too and how she got her powered up form as well for RR.

I didn't like however is that it never gave us any context for how Rarity managed to push that piano all the way from home or so and never had anyone to help her. Other than Rarity somehow pushing a heavy instrument by herself, there's no explanation for how she managed to pull this off before hand without help.

Thus, I would have to say that Player Piano is perhaps the weakest short so far as it's the only one that can be considered problematic with it's story as it definitely has a flaw in it that cannot be ignored. Though I will have to say I did enjoyed the rest with Rarity and the story does at least explain enough for how she got her powers so while it's a passing, this is the weakest one in my opinion.

Passing grade.

6. A Case for the Bass is the sixth short in the EQG series. It is written by Natasha Levinger and the storyboard artist is Rob Sales. 

Ishi Rudell would admit that 20 seconds of hilarity with Grannie Smith had to be cut due to Time constraints. This one would be adapted into the novelization of the Rainbow Rocks movie in chapters 5 and 6. 

Upon hearing that Grannie Smith unwittingly sold her bass guitar to the Flim Flam bros at a yard sale, she and her friends try to get it back.

Other than of course some great bass music and AJ getting her instrument back from the Flim flam bros via her friends intimidating them to submission, but I especially loved how despite that, they wouldn't let AJ get away with that by this:

latest?cb=20141211064251

Also, Grannie Smith unwittingly never knew AJ played the bass, so the growing senile lady sold it to the Flim Flam bros for two dollars. 

Also, this is another short that helps develop the humane five to where they needed to be for the RR movie with her own anthro form returning too.

Thus I would say that a Case for the Bass is another passing short as it's humor hit me well, the bass music was good, and I enjoyed that AJ did had to do something embarrassing for the Flim Flam bros. to help make up for having to intimidate them before.

Passing Grade.

Thus if you were to ask me of how the shorts rankings are, it would be like this:

1. Guitar Centered.

2. Pinkie on the One.

3. A case for the bass.

4. Music to my Ears.

5. Hamstocalypse Now

6. Player Piano.

What do you guys think of each of these shorts and what other thoughts I can add to them please.

• Like 2

I am indifferent, Can't muster strong enough emotion to rank them. I just know that I find Vinyl video most interesting since it was unique in it's strangeness.  

• Like 5

On 9/18/2017 at 6:49 AM, Nuke87654 said:

Hmm, interesting on that point they forgot about her ties with Celestia though.

You'd think that Sunset would try to talk to the Celestia in the human world. Then again, I'm just tired of seeing that alicorn getting neglected.

As for the shorts, I honestly can't remember anything about them except for "Music to My Ears". I guess I can say I enjoyed that one since it focused on a side character, and everything was synchronized to her music. I guess that's how she sees everything.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2017 at 0:26 PM, Cinder Vel said:

I am indifferent, Can't muster strong enough emotion to rank them. I just know that I find Vinyl video most interesting since it was unique in it's strangeness.  

Understood, had to go against my usual rankings cause the shorts are so well short.

On 9/21/2017 at 2:40 PM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

The only short I've ever seen in its entirety was Music to my Ears. I loved it. Fortunately, I'm a fan of almost every genre of music out there.

Good, you'd probably like the others if you give it a try.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:51 AM, Number? said:

You'd think that Sunset would try to talk to the Celestia in the human world. Then again, I'm just tired of seeing that alicorn getting neglected.

As for the shorts, I honestly can't remember anything about them except for "Music to My Ears". I guess I can say I enjoyed that one since it focused on a side character, and everything was synchronized to her music. I guess that's how she sees everything.

Yea, but then again, if she left on bad terms, speaking with her probably is going to leave a bad taste in her mouth about it. Yea, but the shorts are better than folks give credit and I feel they're fine.

• Like 1

I will begin my review for the 2nd Equestria Girls film, Rainbow Rocks. The film was directed by both Jayson Thiessen and Ishi Rudell, producers were Sarah Wall and Devon Cody, written by Meghan McCarthy, the music's score was done by William Anderson, and the songs were created by Daniel Ingram.

According to the DVD audio commentary for Rainbow Rocks DVD, Equestria Girls was not originally thought to become an ongoing franchise so the writer Meghan McCarthy had no plans to make a sequel until Hasbro commissioned her to write for one. Sunset Shimmer was originally not expected to be a main character in the film until the 2nd draft of the script. The film was announced at the 2014 International Toy Fair as part of Hasbro's Press Kit there. On Feburary 13, 2014, Megahn McCarthy tweeted she worked on the film's script in the summer of 2013. On the same day as that tweet, Daniel Ingram would confirm there would be a total of twelve songs for the film. Tony Cliff did the art for the opening credits shown, the end credits illustrations were made by Katrina Hadley, and the storybook depictions were done by Rebecca Dart. The midnight snack scene in the film was confirmed in the audio commentary that it was added late in the film's production. Rarity's line 'past...ahem...booboos', was actually ad libbed by her voice actress, Tabitha St. Germain. Snips and Snails freestyle rap was actually done out of impromptu freestyling courteously by their voice actors Lee Tockar and Richard Ian Cox respectively. 

A new group of villains seek to harness the magic that was left over from Twilight Sparkle and the humane five's successful victory over Sunset Shimmer. Now the humane group, including former villain Sunset Shimmer must find a way to stop this new villainous trio while they must participate in a battle of the bands competition that the new villains, the sirens are forcing upon them for their plans.

Positives:

1. I loved the reformation arc that Sunset Shimmer went through in Rainbow Rocks. Easily among the most notable things about this film is the reformation of Sunset Shimmer. In the story, we see Sunset Shimmer legitimately wants to become a better person as we see he trying to do whatever it takes to make amends and help repair her reputation around the student body.

latest?cb=20141028211907

Which the film will definitely let us know they haven't quite forgiven her for what she had done sans the humane five as they're willing to let her accompany them.

Because the humane five are the only group willing to let her hang out with them, we would see her hang out with them throughout this episode where she would serve mainly in the backdrop to support the gang as they try to do their music playing and would help them out to try to stop the dazzlings or sirens as the villains are called from taking over the school

latest?cb=20141029001726

Here, Sunset Shimmer is writing an important letter to her old teacher Celestia that would prove to be the key to not only get Twilight's attention for what is happening, but it would even provide the film with a convenient bypass through the mirror's 'only opens every thirty moons' rule by using the journal on Twilight's dimension as a catalyst to force the portal to open up after seeing how the book was able to send a message across dimensions despite the most conventional way being closed at the time.

latest?cb=20141029012849

Twilight has figured out how to make her stargate thanks to Sunset's writing to her and Pinkie observation that Sunset was able to bypass the mirror's portal with it.

There, once Twilight arrives on the Equestria Girls side, we see a notable thing happening where the humane five being overly excited to see Twilight return sort of place Sunset on the side in favor of her. Most notable of this move is how they quickly put her in their own band in order to bring her along to help them out stop the Sirens but they never offered such a role to Sunset despite how much she wanted to help them and has.

latest?cb=20141029194942

At the sleepover that she participated with the girls, in a scene I'll go into greater detail later, we even see Sunset vent to Twilight a bit of how much she feels an outcast for how many expect or afraid of her turning her bad once again. That would score Sunset's conflict in the episode in where she wants to feel accepted by the student body and her peers in order to feel like her reformation is the right course of action to take as she's earnestly trying to earn, but she hasn't received that. Still, despite feeling down about that, Sunset still provided fantastic support for the humane group's rockband, the Rainbooms by either handling the audio alongside Spike, critiquing them, and she would even do some scouting a bit on the Sirens to try and impede them however she could.

latest?cb=20141029070125

Which only ended up with the Sirens striking at her most vulnerable point and causing Sunset to feel worse about herself.

She would fail there as the Sirens would quickly turn the tables on her by reminding her of her past villainy and how she failed, and they would even tell her of how the student body doesn't even trust or like her, even her friends aren't on such good terms with her as they were quick to offer Twilight a role in the band but not to her before showing of whom they trust and favor more.

After feeling down for her failure to even be a road bump for them, Sunset could only watch as the Rainboom band, feeling under immense pressure from the hostile competition and how they're suffering their own internal strife and issues can see an all too familiar story unfolding before her.

latest?cb=20141029074120

Meanwhile, left out of the argument once again.

However, she does show that despite feeling down and isolated from the rainbooms, Sunset does try to do whatever she can to help them out, even if it means doing something that can damn her in front of everyone's eyes.

latest?cb=20141029081541

Such as stopping Rainbow Dash from revealing her powered up form too soon as she was rocking out too hard. While she had good intentions to help save their cover, unfortunately this would only cause folks to rile against her and view it as justification for hating and not trusting her as they view it as her turning back into a villain for sabotaging the rainbooms live performance. 

latest?cb=20141029085813

Oh and we have confirmation that yes, Octavia Melody is British.

However, once she pleads her reasoning to her friends and how her act got upstaged by the Rainbooms stealing the competition from Trixie's band, that quickly killed the anger they had towards her as it was replaced by disbelief they still advanced despite being obviously worse than Trixie's. Which Trixie herself would not forget as in a fit of justified anger, sends the Rainbooms whole band to be trapped underneath a stage so she can take her rightful place to compete against the dazzlings. Underneath that stage, trapped behind a locked door and being in there for hours, the rainbooms starts falling apart in their friendship as they allowed the complaints for each other to fester into something worse and Twilight herself is knocked out of action as she perceives her failure to stop the dazzlings as her fault and is feeling miserable for it. There, once Sunset sees all this and how the magic inside the rainbooms is getting siphoned by the Dazzlings for them to feast, she finally summons the courage to tell the whole group to cease their arguing and made them realize that not only was them arguing the Dazzlings plan all along, but that they've allowed it to fester into such a state as they refused to solve their issues. Sunset there would confess that she had noticed it before, but was too afraid to speak out because she felt it wasn't her place to do so. When you consider how rather poorly treated Sunset was by the students, how much her past haunts her, and how miserable she felt from all of that, I can see why she wouldn't speak out before. There however, thanks to her, the rainbooms realize their folly and quickly make concessions to each other as they now understand their own greed and rude behavior towards their own friends. Meanwhile, Twilight who had been incapacitated by her fear of failing the group and feeling down herself would see her own issues and over relying on herself to save the day rather than depend on someone like Sunset to help her out. There, once Spike saves the gang via getting the only person not under the influence of dazzlings via headphones in Vinyl Scratch, the gang would rally and try to put a stop to the dazzlings only for them to actually over power them and nearly triumph, however, Twilight would plead Sunset to go and join with them in the band to save them.

latest?cb=20141028133031

Things get serious when a girl is stripping a part of her clothes off.

With renewed confidence in herself and with the rainbooms to help them out, the gang manages to successfully prevail and defeat the sirens once and for all. After what she had done to help them out and saved them, not only did Sunset earned new found respect but Rainbow Dash would even offer Twilight's role in the band to Sunset as a big thank you for it and Twilight needs to go back to Equestria.

latest?cb=20141028122148

Which she also knows how to shred the guitar.

In the aftermath, Sunset would happily write a letter to Twilight, telling her of how much better things are at Canterlot High and that whenever she needs it, she'll happily write letters to her to ask for advice. There, we see Sunset is not only at peace with herself on her past as a villain, but especially is willing to take of a student role under Twilight even.

latest?cb=20141029225624

Sunset Shimmer is great here not only for the interesting conflict she had with struggling to handle what she had wrought in the past, but also finding acceptance from folks she had wronged before. Thanks to her efforts in trying to earn that acceptance and what she would do to help save everyone from the sirens, this movie would successfully transition Sunset from a poorly made villain into a much better reformed heroine.

2. I also enjoyed Twilight Sparkle's plight here too. Now it wasn't just Sunset that learned too, Twilight here would also learn that's alright to ask for help when she needs it. What I mean here is that in this episode, due to the immense pressure the humane five put on her to find the counter spell to defeat the dazzlings, something she herself had never done before for that group of enemies, she would start to feel under the pressure of trying to come up with a way to defeat a foe she hadn't faced before and doing something she herself isn't even sure she can do.

latest?cb=20141028153944

This would be thing that will plague Twilight throughout the movie as she tries to figure out a spell and hoping her attempts work, but none of the would succeed. There this will start to weaken Twilight's resolve as the immense amount of expectations folks are expecting of her to pull, her being unsure of what to do, and especially in this scene

latest?cb=20141028145330

There, Flash Sentry under the influence of the Sirens would go and chew Twilight out as he accuses of her of trying to upstage him, which would only send Twilight further into grief as she her crush is now hating on her for just trying to save him. This would continue to pile on and on as the competition's finals get closer and Twilight still hasn't come up with a counter spell. Once the gang gets trapped underneath the stage, Twilight actually suffers a minor nervous breakdown where she confesses that she doubted her counter spells would've worked and goes into a feeble position as she expresses disbelief she failed.

latest?cb=20141029122219

What happens to someone when you put so much praise and expectations on someone and they fail to meet those expectations you forced on them.

Thanks to Sunset Shimmer bailing her out of that jam, Twilight would not only learn that it's alright if she doesn't have all the answers but that there are other folks who can help her out of a jam and it's alright to ask for them despite such pressured praises for their sole ability. This would play well into the climax as Twilight would plead Sunset to help them out of a situation with Sirens in battle, which she does and succeeds. 

While Twilight's own story is not as great as Sunset's, this one is a nice mirror on Sunset's own issues of finding acceptance and forgiveness for what she has done, here Twilight has issues of trying to meet expectations and failing because it's too much for her to handle it. There she would learn that not only is accepting help from others despite many folks expecting her to succeed is fine, but that to not let such circumstances overwhelm you as if it does, disaster can happen.

latest?cb=20141028122745

In a way, this was a better done version of what Twilight had to learn from S3's a Crystal Empire. 

3. The movie helps tie in all of the shorts shown previously to help build up the RR movie and especially make the EQG verse bigger and more developed. Rainbow Rocks would also start the trend of using shorts to help set the movies and other EQG specials up for a better and more realized world in EQG, and also to just set things up in the movies better. Most notably here, it would tie the shorts that would show how the Humane five got their instruments and even a hint of Vinyl's own time to shine. While not a direct positive for the film itself, but the end result for these shorts to help Rainbow Rocks out does help make the experience more enjoyable and like the EQG world better if you watch such shorts while importantly not being necessary to understanding or enjoying the story Rainbow Rocks provided for us.

latest?cb=20141029102036

Here, Vinyl is saved from the influence cause she listens to her music all day long as the Music to my ears short would attest to.

4. The Sirens/Dazzlings are awesome villains.  Easily one of the most popular groups of villains in the series, the Sirens who to me in Rainbow Rocks why they deserve such adoration. We see from Twilight's background story to her pony friends about them that these creatures would sow discord and conflict between ponies so they can feed off the negative emotions and magic these ponies would give for them to feed. If not for Starswirl the Bearded's actions to banishing them to another world, they'd likely would have set out to conquer Equestria and divided it for their own ends. Being stuck in EQG land, with no magic powers to get stronger from, they can only survive via feeding off the discontent folks in EQG world have for each other which is far beneath the requirements they need to grow stronger without a concentrated effort. However, fortune would smile upon them when they saw a flash of equestrian magic from the first film's battle with Demon Sunset.

latest?cb=20141028200909

What one villain's defeat ends, causes another to rise.

There, throughout the movie, we see a very underrated aspect of the Sirens is how smart and manipulative they are to getting what they want. Not only do they use their magic to influence the principals to ensure that none of the unaffected can get help to kick them out of school from their prized target of the battle of the bands, but they would also use their magic to cause chaos at the student body so they can feed off of it.

latest?cb=20141028233512

What they want to have.

To make them look even more brilliant, they would not only identify whom are the ones holding the equestrian magic where they would use the student body and the principals to ensure that they would feel ostracized, targeted, and be hated to feel misery and even fall apart from such misery, but they seem to have even done their homework on them as they would let Sunset know how well they know her.

latest?cb=20141029065554

Something I feel folks forget about Sonata is that she's much meaner than folks want to admit.

To further highlight of how several steps ahead they are of the Rainbooms, they would take advantage of Sunset trying to save Rainbow Dash from revealing her powered up form and would ruin the Rainboom's performance by mind controlling the Principals to giving the unjust award to compete against them to the Rainbooms instead. This would not only cause the entire student body to be outraged at the Rainbooms unjustified chance to compete in the finals, but it would also allow Adagio to tempt and manipulate Trixie to getting her revenge on the Rainbooms, who would trap them in under the stage where being stuck there would fester into anger as they started to blame each other for this misfortune.

latest?cb=20141029121338

And guess who is going to feast on all that anger and magic?

Thanks to that power boost in magic, they would regain their powered up forms back to be able to battle the Rainbooms who would also be in their powered up states. Most notably is that if not Sunset Shimmer's unexpected powerup that the Rainbooms needed, the Sirens would've won. They had the Rainbooms on the ropes as they managed to bring them down to their knees. Note, while the Elements of Harmony magic is diluted and weakened remnant from one Element of Harmony item, the Sirens are also the first villain group to successfully overpower an elements of harmony attack. Not even the likes of Discord, Tirek, Chrysalis, and Nightmare Moon can claim that.

latest?cb=20141029081735

Adagio's stand overpowers Twilight's attack on her.

Course it's not to say the Sirens were flawless as while they do exhibit a few characteristics such Adagio being the demanding leader, Aria being her doubting 2nd in command, and Sonata the ditzy moron of the group, they're not well developed enough to really make their characters memorable, especially for Aria.

latest?cb=20141028231824

Notably of how much they like to exude sexiness to everyone. Oh and hips ahoy!

Still, with a good background for whom they are, how they executed to achieve their goals in the movie, and how they nearly won at the end through a well thought out plan they made, the Sirens in my opinion should be remembered as one of the series's best villains and not just EQG but in FIM too.

5. I enjoyed the music in the film too. I actually believe the Rainbow Rocks music is superior to the first one film's ost as it had better musics such as Battle, Under our spell, Welcome to the show, and Shine like Rainbows.

latest?cb=20141029225236

Or anything they sing really.

If you wanted a better ost than what EQG 1 provided, I feel Rainbow Rock's own ost is a good choice to look into.

6. I liked some of the humor and costumes in Rainbow Rocks. There were a few pieces of humor that I liked. The following are:

latest?cb=20141028224616

Taco Tuesday is the true day to feast on the delicious Tacos.

latest?cb=20141029012311

Pony Pinkie understands everything Twilight said and the others didn't. She's showing the hidden intelligence of hers again.

latest?cb=20141029174746

The humane gang tries to summon their friendship magic, but it won't turn on. Awkward.

latest?cb=20141029195649 

I do like how the film does poke fun how ridiculous it was that Twilight slept in the library.

latest?cb=20141029041136

Less on humor, but I wanted to highlight one of Rarity's most famed outfits in the series.

latest?cb=20141029072529

Oh and these costumes are back.

And many other stuff here you guys can enjoy looking into.

7. I loved the midnight snack scene. A scene that was pushed into existence only in late production, this turned out to be one of the best scenes in the whole film. The reasoning for that is we get to see Sunset and Twilight have a moment alone to talk to each other. There, we get to see these to indirectly confide their personal issues to them for them to listen. Sunset would praise Twilight for how much praise and adoration she gets while she herself isn't so favored by folks to where she feels folks expect her to turn bad. In a way, Sunset expresses she envies Twilight but at the same time recognizes why Twilight deserves it and is there to support her however she can. Twilight on the other hand expresses to Sunset that she's feeling all this pressure to succeed and yet doesn't feel she can pull it off. We even get to see Twilight ask Sunset but stop in what is probably Twilight trying to ask Sunset for advice and help but worries if she does so, she's showing weakness that she doesn't think she can succeed and may bring morale and opinion of her down which isn't good as folks are depending upon her to succeed. 

Not only is it a great way to help get the two to bond with each other with some bit of chemistry, but also helps outline what both of their conflicts will be in the episode, Sunset with trying to earn the acceptance and forgiveness she seeks and not turning bad, and Twilight with trying to meet high expectations to succeed.

latest?cb=20141029033220

Here both are on opposite ends of letting folks down. Sunset in failing to reform for the better. And Twilight with failing to find the solution to resolve a crises.

Negatives:

1. The film was heavy handed with how Sunset Shimmer was bad before. Especially early on, the biggest issue I had with Rainbow Rocks is how rather obnoxious it's point of how bad Sunset Shimmer was a villain was. It seemed for the first twenty five minutes or so the movie would hit the audience with 'hey remember how bad Sunset Shimmer used to be?' While it's fine to show how Sunset Shimmer isn't liked at the school by showing how many folks still remember what she had done and nearly tried to do, the film hit too much to where it was annoying me alot.

latest?cb=20141028235848

Yes, I get it, I was a bad guy, can we stop it now!?

2. Rainbow Dash's ego was overbearing at times. A lesser but an issue I can see folks having is Rainbow Dash's behavior in the movie. In Rainbow Rocks, Rainbow Dash would pretty much be an egotist as she would go and boast of her awesome guitar skills and would declare the Rainbooms are her band at the expense of her friends. Even at the quiet of the sleepover as such, she shows issues such as crashing the console game to prevent AJ from winning, and notably this

latest?cb=20141029032836

She's sleeping comfortably on Pinkie Pie's bed despite it being her bed and house. Yea not looking well there Rainbow Dash.

In fact, it was her ego that nearly got them exposed early on because in an attempt of showboating to high hell, she chose to play her ego boosting song 'Awesome as I want to be', over what Fluttershy had wanted to push for as she had written some songs for the band to sing but RD refuses out of feelings hers are better.

latest?cb=20141029084613

In a way, if not for Rainbow Dash trying to go too hard to show how awesome she is, Sunset wouldn't have needed to stop her from spouting her furry form.

As I said, while her egotism wasn't so bad in my honest opinion, but it's problematic enough that folks will take issues with her behavior in it.

Conclusion: Rainbow Rocks is a much much better film than Equestria Girls. With a better ost, much better villains in the Sirens, a more interesting story where Sunset Shimmer tries to seek the acceptance and forgiveness from folks after what she had done in the first film and Twilight being struck by fear of failing folks, Rainbow Rocks is an enjoyable film that many folks will love to watch. Add in some humor, some expanded material tie ins, good costumes, you'll have plenty of fun watching this film despite his shortcomings with it's heavy handed approach to telling the audience how bad Sunset Shimmer was and Rainbow Dash's ego being too overbearing at times.

Score: 9.0/10

Grade: B+

• Like 2

@Nuke87654

"Rainbow Rocks" is my favorite Equestria Girls movie as far as the soundtrack & villains are concerned. 

What I loved:

• The Dazzlings & their songs with my favorite being "Under Our Spell".
  • The Rainbooms & their songs with my favorite being "Better Than Ever"
  • The "end credits" scene. :D

What I didn't like:

• The need for the Humane 6 to catch us up on what happend in the previous movie(s).

I understand why they do this but, I think it's annoying.

What I *really* did not like:

• When the Humane 6 would say "No offense." to Sunset Shimmer. :x
  • When Flash Sentry made Twilight Sparkle cry. :(
  • Like 4

This film is a massive improvement over Equestria Girls and is damned good on its own merits. Sunset's reformation arc here is probably the best damned one of the FiM franchise. And to be honest, I do like that they didn't gloss over how much of a rotten asshole she was in the first movie.

The Sirens? Friggin' awesome. So many questions about them, so tantalizing!

• Like 2

Great review, however some things i'd like to add.

On 1.10.2017 at 4:42 PM, Nuke87654 said:

There, we see Sunset is not only at peace with herself on her past as a villain, but especially is willing to take of a student role under Twilight even.

Could be wrong on that one, but did Sunset ever actually become Twilight's student? Didn't she end her first entry into the journal with "Your Friend, Sunset Shimmer" rather "Student"?

Personally i find it was okay that they kept mentioning Sunset's evil actions, those scenes felt pretty natural and it was slightly funny how Sunset went from slightly annoyed, visibly annoyed to just accepting it by smirking and saying "I'm used to it".

Quite honestly, the scene where Flash yells "Now that's the bad girl we love to hate" makes me smirk everytime, it fits the scenery in my book but it's not the kind of sentence you'd expect in an MLP Movie.

Regarding the music, while Rainbow Rocks obviously has tons of songs, i have a hard time saying it's upgrade over the first movie, not because it's worse but rather because all EqG Installments consistently put out great music, this is a subjective statement but in terms of music EqG seriously gives the main show a run for it's money.

Another thing i want to add, something i really give Hasbro and the writers serious credit for: They kept Sunset out of almost any promotional material.

Despite the fact that she's pretty much the main character of the movie, she's absent from just that, which i think really made her redemption even better because it came as a surprise to a lot of people.

Something they perhaps should've remembered for the MLP Movie, i mean i haven't seen it yet, but i think that Tempest Shadow will be actually redeemed at the end is a given at this point.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 2:42 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Nuke87654

"Rainbow Rocks" is my favorite Equestria Girls movie as far as the soundtrack & villains are concerned. 

What I loved:

• The Dazzlings & their songs with my favorite being "Under Our Spell".
  • The Rainbooms & their songs with my favorite being "Better Than Ever"
  • The "end credits" scene. :D

What I didn't like:

• The need for the Humane 6 to catch us up on what happend in the previous movie(s).

I understand why they do this but, I think it's annoying.

What I *really* did not like:

• When the Humane 6 would say "No offense." to Sunset Shimmer. :x
  • When Flash Sentry made Twilight Sparkle cry. :(

Agreed, sorry it took so long to respond, but yes I enjoy those points too, though the need for the humane 6 to bring us up to speed from what happened from the last movie is interesting to hear as that's something I didn't suspect.

On 10/1/2017 at 7:45 PM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

This film is a massive improvement over Equestria Girls and is damned good on its own merits. Sunset's reformation arc here is probably the best damned one of the FiM franchise. And to be honest, I do like that they didn't gloss over how much of a rotten asshole she was in the first movie.

The Sirens? Friggin' awesome. So many questions about them, so tantalizing!

I agree, on one hand it was overbearing but it does at least show they're not letting her off the hook so easily, something I feel they did a poorer job with Starlight Glimmer in comparison.

On 10/2/2017 at 5:28 PM, JohnnyP said:

Great review, however some things i'd like to add.

Could be wrong on that one, but did Sunset ever actually become Twilight's student? Didn't she end her first entry into the journal with "Your Friend, Sunset Shimmer" rather "Student"?

Personally i find it was okay that they kept mentioning Sunset's evil actions, those scenes felt pretty natural and it was slightly funny how Sunset went from slightly annoyed, visibly annoyed to just accepting it by smirking and saying "I'm used to it".

Quite honestly, the scene where Flash yells "Now that's the bad girl we love to hate" makes me smirk everytime, it fits the scenery in my book but it's not the kind of sentence you'd expect in an MLP Movie.

Regarding the music, while Rainbow Rocks obviously has tons of songs, i have a hard time saying it's upgrade over the first movie, not because it's worse but rather because all EqG Installments consistently put out great music, this is a subjective statement but in terms of music EqG seriously gives the main show a run for it's money.

Another thing i want to add, something i really give Hasbro and the writers serious credit for: They kept Sunset out of almost any promotional material.

Despite the fact that she's pretty much the main character of the movie, she's absent from just that, which i think really made her redemption even better because it came as a surprise to a lot of people.

Something they perhaps should've remembered for the MLP Movie, i mean i haven't seen it yet, but i think that Tempest Shadow will be actually redeemed at the end is a given at this point.

Thank you.

For that point, she also did mentioned that she would be asking and seeking advice from Twilight on friendship as she has a lot to learn, but you are correct as friends can still teach friends about things.

I don't mind it and in fact appreciate they do mention of how bad she was before, just that it got overbearing to where it ended up being annoying till it simmered down later on where scenes like that save Sunset Shimmer did when Flash Sentry made that comment looked good. 

I hear ya, guess the Dazzling's music bewitched me per say ;)

True, though to be fair, that may more have to deal with only deciding to put her up for reformation after the 2nd or so rough draft as originally they didn't intended to deal much with her other than as a cameo.

Pretty much yea, course it didn't helped that the movie's plot got spoiled by several books now :P

• Like 1