ABronyAccount

Random Thoughs and Miscellany

I haven’t been able to do it for a a few years (living in an apartment whose management prohibits automotive work on the premises does complicate this), but I do enjoy working on cars. This interest of mine has resurfaced somewhat, as I have been watching Scotty Kilmer’s YouTube videos. My car (2008 Toyota Corolla CE) is devoid of “bells and whistles”, but it has been supremely reliable for the 12 years I have owned it. Unlike many of today’s cars, it also wasn’t deliberately engineered to make it difficult to work on it without specialized tools and/or training. 

I won’t be buying one anytime soon, but I would like to one day own a Toyota Tacoma with four wheel drive (the Corolla doesn’t handle well on unplowed roads in the winter).

My new job doesn’t actually require it, but it seems my degree helped me get it. I will take that over it getting me into an oversaturated field paying peanuts as it did in years past. It does make paying those student loans a bit less irritating (it would be even better if we had tuition-free postsecondary education here in the United States). Not to mention that the remaining balance will be paid off much sooner now that I am being paid a fairly good salary for once.

Neither Clay-Brained Donnie nor Senile Joe have a solution to the shortages. Only one person can bring our people TP!

CORNHOLIO FOR PRESIDENT IN 2020!

tp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have noticed that aggressive drivers around where I live have one thing in common: they wouldn't last five minutes in a face-to-face altercation with the people they subject to their belligerent behavior (not letting people merge onto a highway, deliberately flooring the accelerator upon seeing a turn signal to prevent someone from changing lanes, tailgating, etc.). 

"Shuffling" a couple of cars around (one in the garage, one in the lot) isn't ideal, but I am thinking it will be far more cost effective than spending US $27K-$30K+ for a new SUV of some kind for winter commuting.  My aging Toyota Corolla still runs flawlessly, so why not keep it and get an older SUV (4X4 or AWD) of some kind for the snowy days?  I have tracked down a few older ones (Toyota Highlander, Honda CR-V, Honda Pilot) not too far from a trusted mechanic.  Hopefully the dealer will let me pay my mechanic to go over one of these vehicles with a "fine-tooth comb" (wet and dry compression test, live data with a sophisticated scan tool, inspection of transfer case, differential, and transmission, etc.). 

There are various New Year's traditions, but I think this Japanese one is the best:

:happybonbon:

The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition are flexible and require proper wisdom to interpret. Some of them are seemingly contradictory.

Rule of Acquisition 35 is "Peace is good for business." But the preceding rule is that "War is good for business."

The most important lesson here is to never ever Google "Ferengi Rule 34" if you can't remember which is which.

• Haha 1

I actually started to watch Star Trek series for the first time recently. ;)

I would wear my kigus in public if I could carry things more easily while wearing them (either no pockets or the pockets are too small to be useful). 

Some random thoughts:

I am going to add my tax return and stimulus check to my savings account. While I build my savings, I am going to wait for the housing market to crash again and hopefully get one of those “first time homebuyer” loans to buy a small house at “bottom dollar”, assuming I am not furloughed or laid off in the future. Being a handyman and former HVAC service technician should help cut any future home repair costs if I end up buying a home. 

I am also getting my first COVID-19 vaccine next week. 

Phil Collins’s song, “Sussudio”, is “stuck” in my head at the moment. I like the song, so I am fine with that. :awesomecheer: