ABronyAccount

Random Thoughs and Miscellany

If I had serious political clout, repealing the Taft-Hartley Act would be pretty high on my priority list.

During a long walk yesterday, I was irritated at seeing some guy being careless about concealed carry. Not only was his firearm openly exposed due to a shirt corner that somehow “lifted up” (open carry is technically legal in Minnesota, but it isn’t advised, as so few people know this that it isn’t uncommon for someone to get nervous and call the police) but he had no situational awareness whatsoever (“condition white”). If I were an assailant, I could have very easily snatched that gun from him. There happened to be dozens of others around the immediate area, so kindly reminding him about what appeared to be an unintentional firearm exposure was out of the question (that would have drawn unwanted attention and panic from others; it’s a bit surprising that no one else noticed it). 

It’s not enough to simply carry a defensive firearm in a holster or stash it in a nightstand. One should be regularly training with it, and one should always be aware of one’s surroundings. I was in “condition yellow” during my entire walk, and no one was able to see my CZ-75 P01 or my spare ammunition. 

My poor little Pi 4 media server is running out of space. I have 4x256GB thumb drives occupying all the USB ports, but movies and 1080 rips of TV shows just eat it all up.

I don't want to use some USB-SATA cable (already have one) to attach an SSD, I just hate having my nice, compact, solid-state server with floppy dongles and messy wires. Nobody likes floppy dongles!

Normally the other option is to simply switch to a more spacious USB thumb drive model, but the dimensions of the Pi 4 and its USB ports means that only very slim, low-profile models would fit. And finding bigger thumb drives with those dimensions is a problem (and expensive).

I'll have to ponder what to do from here. Meanwhile, I still have more Batman: The Animated Series to transcode and load up on it.

• Like 1

We have been getting some warmer weather, and it was nice to spend the weekend in shorts and sandals. I will see what happens, as I may not be able to put my coat and boots in the closet just yet.

I have a bisexual pride T-shirt that has become my favorite shirt. I also got some compliments on it recently. :happybonbon:

I saw a fairly new SUV broken down on the highway yesterday. I wasn’t remotely surprised to see that it was a Chevy Equinox. :ajlol:Hopefully bitter experience will one day help that owner to decide to replace it with something like a RAV-4 or CR-V.

• Like 1

When touching up a "stone chip" in a vehicle's paint, it helps to keep humidity and slightly lower than "normal" temperatures for painting in mind.  I absentmindedly came back to apply some touch-up paint to the primer I set on the area (clean bare metal after grinding away a slight layer of surface rust), and I then realized I forgot to consider such a thing when the primer smudged a bit when I applied a touch-up brush to it. :applebelch: I redid the primer, and I am going to wait until tomorrow after work to clean up the area a bit and apply the touch-up paint.

On 4/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, ABronyAccount said:

Why are Mormons tax-exempt if they're a for-prophet organization?

Hehehhehehehheheh I get it

Also how come whenever I try to do something technical with a car I just end up really confused and wishing I had money for a mechanic

I need to try to find some time to look at my 2008 Toyota Corolla. I cleaned the throttle body to deal with what seemed to be a rough idle, but the problem persists. I don’t see any obvious signs of vacuum leaks (past idle, the car runs and shifts normally), but I have noticed that I can sometimes feel a bit of a “thump” when shifting out of park and into reverse or drive. Maybe the culprit could be a worn engine or transmission mount(s)? I have had the car for over 13 years, so that is plenty of time for rubber parts to wear out on the vehicle.

I am a bit nostalgic for the days of cheap, cosmoline-packed military surplus firearms again. :awesomecheer: Recently shooting my Russian SKS probably played a role in this. Admittedly, the previous owner cleaned the cosmoline out of that one, but I bought a couple of Yugoslavian ones that were packed in it (an M59/66 in late 2006 and an M59/66A1 in early 2007). Yes, I bought a couple of them, but back in the day, both of them together cost me less than $400. 

I wonder if it's possible to get any of the original camo jackets from a military surpless store these days; I mostly find the ones where it's like pixels

It’s difficult to miss with a CZ-75. :slymac: I haven’t been shooting nearly as much due to panic buying of ammunition (I was probably shooting around 300 rounds per week before the panic buying started last March), but after several magazines, my CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical was still leaving a gaping hole in the center of the target. :awesomedash: Occasional dry fire practice at home isn’t ideal, but between that and my past live fire practice, my skills haven’t degraded.

Ammunition availability isn’t as bad as it was, but it is selling at inflated prices when one can find it (I paid almost $28.00 for a box of 50 rounds of generic Remington target 9X19mm ammunition that would have cost $10.00 to $12.00 prior to March 2020). 

I am probably going to use my preferred black and purple pattern when it comes to painting my nails for next week’s LGBT+ pride festival.

I saw some furries at the LGBT+ pride festival. While he wasn’t wearing any furry-related things, it turns out that someone I know is one of them. Maybe I should tell him someday that I am a furry as well. :awesomecheer:

The M14 rifle was a product of governmental politicking (from a military standpoint, it would have made much more sense for the US to adopt the FN FAL chambered in an intermediate cartridge like .280 British), but I won't deny that it is a joy to shoot.

If we try to think about not thinking to much. Do we not think more instead of less?

I made some extra money, and now it seems like my aging iPhone 6s is having issues. That figures. I will try to avoid the latest and greatest for a replacement. 

On the bright side, I got a promotion at work. :gleepony:

• Like 1

When you are so confused that you forget that you are confused and are confused because of that. Then you know that you are truly confused, because at that point you are too confused to even know that you are confused.

I recently misplaced my phone, only to find it behind my laptop after looking all over the apartment.