Sign in to follow this  
Magic Note

Metroid thread

I've been playing the new Metroid game, Samus Returns for the Nintendo 3DS, and so far I like it. It was a pleasant surprise to see the first new Metroid game in over seven years!

What's everyone's favorite Metroid game? I honestly don't know mine, it's just too difficult to pick one.

The prime Serie ! The Echoes episode in particular.

Also I wait the next one in switch with a huge hyyyyyype !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, it's gotta be Prime. Return of Samus I got when I was too young to love it (and it doesn't hold up too well now... I know it was great at the time, but I've played Metroids that did what it tried to do better since then), Fusion was a good reintroduction (probably helped that my only other Samus-related experience back then was with Return of Samus, which is similarly linear, and Super Smash Bros, where I liked stealing her charge beam with Kirby), Prime was awesome :awesomedash:, Prime 2 was great, I regret skipping Prime 3 but I have it now and some day I'll get back into it, original Metroid was eh (see Return of Samus above for my thoughts), Zero Mission was great, Super I still have to finish but I really enjoyed what I've played of it, AM2R was a nice time... and now there's Metroid: Samus Returns, which I will discuss in the spoiler:

Metroid II: Return of Samus was my first Metroid. I got it when I was quite young, and it was a fun game, though I didn't get very far because I got lost and then went to play other games. Still, it was a nice game, and I think I may have remembered it when I was older and wanted Fusion and/or Prime (which led to my lifelong enjoyment of Metroidvanias). So a remake of Return of Samus is right up my alley (and I've already played AM2R, so I may compare the two, even if my memory of the other remake is a slight bit fuzzy). And of course, I'm playing it right now.

So the game starts with a recap of Metroid. And apparently Samus didn't get the Varia suit, because the still of her fighting Mother Brain doesn't have giant shoulders. So she either sequence-broke (wouldn't surprise me, this is Metroid after all) or she ran screaming through Norfair and just barely avoided being cooked alive in her Power Suit.

Omnidirectional aiming is a nice addition, though outside of Metroid-fights I haven't used it much. Probably because of...
The parry, which is a good addition IMO. It lets you counter physical attacks (specifically, ones that begin with a white flash), after which you can auto-aim a shot at a normal enemy (though if you don't do this, they're still stunned for a while, so you can aim and annihilate them at your leisure), and against Metroids it does a sorta-cutscene where you can pump missiles into their weak point for a bit (which is nice, if only because I have trouble aiming at Metroids for some reason). It makes sense for Samus to have new moves that let her kill stuff better, considering her mission here can be summed up as KILL ALL THE METROIDS. It's a nice thing.
The Aeiou Aeion abilities are... well I only have the Scan Pulse, but that one's alright. I've found myself using it a few times, and it's actually fairly helpful. I mean, I dunno about the other three yet, but if this first one's any indication, they're gonna be a nice addition as well.
Also, the feeling when I see something I can't get to yet and knowing exactly how I'm going to reach it later on is something I've missed for far too long, and I get the feeling I'll be having more of those as I go.
I've only killed about 5 Metroids at the moment, but Samus Returns is a good game so far. Pretty linear, kinda like Fusion (and the more I play this, the more I wonder if maybe Fusion was meant to be more of a sequel to Metroid II than Super Metroid), but that's hardly a bad thing (and it's still early, so it might open up more later).

Also, the Metroid amiibo is squishy and weirdly adorable. And regarding that:

So I go to get Samus Returns
And I walk out with the last Metroid amiibo

Nothing tops Super. Nothing. I'll post my thoughts I had made on another site:

Super Metroid is a side-scrolling action adventure game that released for the SNES in 1994. It released and quickly became a fan favorite not only on the SNES, but in general, and is considered by many to be the greatest game ever made. 

It is a true masterpiece, and my favorite video game. Metroid is my favorite series, and this game perfectly encapsulates everything great about the series. Atmosphere, gameplay, music, bosses, level design, it's all perfect. This is a game I can come back to over and over, and have fun every time, always trying to make a new sequence break, and beat my previous run time.

The gameplay is tight, and very satisfying to pull off a hard sequence break, and there's just something about the wall-jumping that's fun. The boss battles are incredible, from the Spooky Phantoon, to the towering Kraid, to the intimidating Ridley, to the terrifying Mother Brain, each fight is amazing and special, all have some challenge and are memorable, even the disturbing Crocomire fight.

The music is atmospheric and charming, each is special in their own way, from the low and slow paced Red Soil Brinstar, to the upbeat and catchy overgrown green brinstar, to the haunting and mysterious Rocky Maridia, to the imposing Lower Norfair theme, and the memorable boss tracks, all are great in their own way, and perfectly capture the tone of the game, and each area.

Level design is also incredible. visuals are still fantastic, at least in my opinion, for a SNES game 23 years old. It's aged tremendously well, and the level design is some of the best, you can exploit the environment to sequence break, and finish the game faster. It's also a very non-linear game, you aren't told what to do, or where to go, no hints or tips. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Super Metroid is amazing, and the very core of what makes a Metroid game. Sure, Fusion and Zero Mission are technically superior in gameplay and design, but they both lack the charm of Super. Fusion loses points for being way more linear and dialogue heavy, and Zero Mission, while regaining some of the core mechanics of Super, like non-linearity and wall-jumping, it lacks the charm and subtlety of Super. I can't really explain it, but I also feel the controls are somewhat inferior. I also prefer the somber and less alive nature of Super.

Super Metroid is a pinnacle of game design, and a true masterpiece. I can't say it enough, but I really like this game.