PinkiePie97

Season 7, Episode 19: It Isn't the Mane Thing About You

Title: It Isn't the Mane Thing About You

Synopsis: When Rarity’s shampoo is accidentally switched with Zecora’s magical remover potion, she does everything she can to fix her devastated mane in time for an upcoming photo shoot.

Premieres: This morning at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

• Like 4

I thought that the episode was nice and simple. It didn't have a huge, earthshattering moral, but not all episodes need one. Sometimes, you need an episode where you can just sit back and enjoy without any sort of deep meaning and that's what I felt this episode was. But if I had to think of things I wish this episode improved on, the only thing that I would've liked is for Zecora to have more of a role rather than just being an episode macguffin, or at the very least she could've been shown at the end of the episode with the rest of the Mane 6 comforting Rarity. Some other things I noticed were that the intro seemed a bit longer than normal (at least to me) and the Mane 6 seemed to completely forget about Pinkie Pie for whatever reason. I'm also curious what Spike was doing this entire episode that he considered more important than comforting his waifu. But overall, I enjoyed this episode for what it was and look forward to next week's episode.

• Like 3

Don't know what to say about the episode right now, but one thing I will say is good on the episode to not fix Rarity's mane. Magic can't solve every problem in Equestrian life, y'know.

• Like 6

:kdR94:My mane, my beautiful mane! You monsters!

Yeah, definitely a fun episode. There was comedy, there was suspense. There was a role for everypony! Heck even the backround ponies were more involved than just standard background decoration. Nothing was wasted.

:berrywut: Also is this first time Carrot Top and Berry had actual voices? 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

:kdR94:My mane, my beautiful mane! You monsters!

Yeah, definitely a fun episode. There was comedy, there was suspense. There was a role for everypony! Heck even the backround ponies were more involved than just standard background decoration. Nothing was wasted.

:berrywut: Also is this first time Carrot Top and Berry had actual voices? 

Not sure about those voices. I don't instantly recall a previous instance. :sunset:

Great episode indeed! I loved it. I had a suspicion they would go the punk route when Rarity's mane got messed. :approve:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Anti-Villain said:

Primary thing I took from this episode:

Reveal hidden contents

large.png

Rarity actually looks good. I like the punk rock look she has.

• Like 3

Outside the quibbles Pixel mentioned, this was a good one.

I guess the reason Pinkie was absent was because she was cleaning the bakery, though she was the one who (minor spoilers)

gave Rarity the magazine

so that kind of makes up for it.

Awesome episode, it might be my favorite Rarity episode after 'Rarity Investigates'! It was so great seeing Zecora back again too. Punk Rarity looked amazing, hopefully there's a toy :)

• Like 1

Aside from Rarity, the secondary character that really impressed me in today's ep is Applejack. When Rarity sulked on the couch with all that ice cream, AJ turned on the light and stayed true to her biggest quality. She was stern when she needed to be, but did so for the sake of Rarity's well-being.

• Like 5

This isn't very funny, but it's kinda pleasant, and does a lot of things right which I think the show has been doing wrong for a while, especially with regards to tone and characterization. It's refreshing to see such a laid-back, low-stakes story, and the moral here is pretty solid without being too forced. There's only as much plot here as there needs to be, and everything else is left to... not a whole lot, honestly, but the story has some time to breathe, and some of the jokes do land. Overall I like thinking of this as a whole more than I actually enjoyed watching it, but everything from when Rainbow, Applejack, and Fluttershy show up forward is rock solid, and every scene is a little better than the one before. Feels more than anything like the show starting to remember what made it so great, so I hope this isn't an anomaly. 

Full review at my thread.

Only thing fans may not like, is even if this may be revisited in the future, this is a one-off occurrence for Rarity.  Shows (animated/live-action) have been known to do this. Heck "Family Matters" did a similar situation in an episode with Laura, her Mom and Aunt. But by the next week, it was like nothing happened. 

Basically this is done to get fans talking and possibly hint at a future Rarity or Overall NEW MLP Toy line in the future.

29 minutes ago, bwrosas said:

Only thing fans may not like, is even if this may be revisited in the future, this is a one-off occurrence for Rarity.

Assuming the writers don't have Rarity dress up one of her mannequins in her boutique like she was at the end of the episode as a call back, but yeah, I understand where your coming from.

One thing I will say I did like, was how her friends got PhotoFinish to still do the "photoshoot" to show her that it didn't matter what her mane style was, she was still the same Rarity they knew and loved and that nothing was going to change that.

• Like 2

Same old... same old really.

*insert random description of viewer discretion warning here*

Once again... not much for me to really say.

I'm not really sure I really 'got' this episode.

Because... if you ask me... I thought not judging someone by how they look/not judging a book by the covers and actually judging them for who they are on the inside/personality wise/who they are as a person was common sense?

If that's what the 'lesson' here was supposed to be... isn't that common sense? :eyebrow:

Anyway... dramatic Rarity made it's return with ice cream included. That was a nice callback. :pwease:

It's pretty clear that Rarity can make anything work and look good. Including a destroyed mane. :sweetieyes:

It was clearly the 'punk' look. Kind of reminded me of Chloe from Life is Strange. Sort of. :rariwhat:

Regardless... she pulled it off. Because, as I said, Rarity seems to be able to make anything work and look good.

That's about all I can really say.

The lesson seemed like 'common sense' to me so I'm not really sure if I really 'got' this episode.

Not that I'm saying I hated it or didn't like it. Because that's not the case at all.

I'd say I would call it... mediocre. Not great but not awful either.

Current Status:

Stay: 80%
Leave: 20%

No change because I felt like I didn't really 'get' the episode and the lesson seemed like common sense to me.

Good ol' Slice Of Life episode! Glampunk Rarity at the end was great, but of course any Raridrama episode has to have Tabitha doing all sorts of strange, delightful things with her vocal chords and this was no exception.

My one gripe? This show is just getting so heavy on the fan service...

large.png

I mean, really!

• Like 5

I didn't really like it. I didn't really think it was funny. There was a nice story about inner beauty, but, to me, it lost it in the end. I get the idea that her friends would see the value of that, but not Photo Finish. Not to mention that the most beautiful mane in Equestria belongs to Luna. :awesomecheer: Let's talk about magic and her mane... Celestia's mane...

Kidding aside, I expected Rarity really freaking out but it was too tame. Also, I suppose mustaches and manes are too different. I'd rather imagine that Twilight had just finished having a long talk with Starlight Glimmer about using magic to fix mundane problems. 

What I really did like was Zecora and Pinkie. Then Rarity's friends and Rarity coming up on top of it. So, bottom line, it was okay. I'm not used to not falling in love with Rarity's episodes.

MHO , I Think this script was originally intended for S1 or S2, but was glossed over, till recently. That's why some get a S1/S2 Vibe, IMO.

5 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

Carrot Top had a rather infamous line prior to this one. And a couple of less memorable incidentals.

Actually I remembered more memorable one.
hqdefault.jpg
(yeah didn't find the actual video)

Still I wonder will she keep the new voice like how Slice of Life ponies no longer mutate their voice (looking at you voice actress Bon Bon). But since she and Berry didn't get credits unlike Bon Bon and each flower Pony I guess not.