WanderPony

Why I think 2D animated films DO have a chance of returning

Last night, I got into an argument with an EQD commenter (not mentioning any names) who claimed that 2D animation was dead forever, dead as black and white film, and there was no possibility of it returning ever, so I should stop having any hope for it.

Now, I got frustrated by this, as I wasn't able to think of a good counterargument at the time. It's been over twelve hours, and I've finally been able to do so.

First of all, it's really common for a genre or medium to go torpid for a few decades, only to make a successful and unlikely comeback. For instance, Pirates of the Caribbean seemed like a huge financial risk when it was first pitched in the early 2000s, as all the pirate movies throughout the eighties and nineties had bombed. And yet that film was a HUGE success, and spawned a successful franchise that's still going today.

Similarly, both Star Wars AND Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs were thought to be inevitable failures at first (as Cracked talks about here, along with the POTC example above), and yet they were still really successful (to the point that Star Wars is one of the biggest franchises of all time). Also, stop-motion is making a slow and gradual comeback, as shown with Laika, Aardman, and both Fantastic Mr. Fox and the upcoming Isle of Dogs.

So, what makes you think someone won't try to pitch a 2D-animated film to a big studio, they'll reluctantly agree to do it, and it'll get made and be a success, as shown with the examples mentioned in the Cracked article?

Also, contrary to what some may say, 2D animation is NOT more expensive than CGI. Look at this list, and you'll see that the most expensive animated films are all CG. In fact, with current "tradigital" programs like ToonBoom and TV Paint, 2D animation can be even cheaper, since you don't have to waste paper!

Speaking of which, those aforementioned programs can emulate the classic style perfectly, as shown with this video.

So, what makes you think 2D animation DOESN'T have a chance, huh? I mean, Don Bluth is working on the Dragon's Lair movie and Sergio Pablos is working on Klaus.

TLDR: 2D animation isn't dead. It's just sleeping. Be patient, and it'll (hopefully) wake up.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, WanderPony said:

TLDR: 2D animation isn't dead. It's just sleeping. Be patient, and it'll (hopefully) wake up.

I agree with this & hopefully in the next few years there will be a 2D animation will have a resurgence in popularity. :)

The most recent CGI/3D animated movies from Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, etc. look absolutely astounding. And it just gets me thinking... Imagine what a 2D, hand-drawn movie would look with that sort of passion and dedication put into them?

*goosebumps*

I absolutely adore 2D animation. I personally think they can look much prettier than most 3D ones if done right. And I also think that it would be refreshing to see their return to the big screens, especially with the technology we have today.

I honestly don't like that much CGI and 3D animation. I mean it can be good, beautiful even. But it just isn't same as 2D animation.

Anyway look at it this way. Old mediums still endure to this day. You know like theater plays, musicals, books and so on. So I don't see 2D animation just disappearing, more likely it's 3D fad now that is more popular. And well I would love someone to tell me if it is cheaper to animate 2D animation or render 3D worlds.

• Like 1