It seems the closer we get to the movie, the more it seems fans are coming out and saying they're not sure if they should see the movie in theaters. Why?

What, because they don't want to be around little kids, that they feel will kick the seats and ruin the enjoyment of the film with their noise.  Why, because they feel adult movie goers or the ticket seller may give them a strange look for going to see the MLP Movie.  Why, because they're afraid the friends/co-workers/collages may see them going into the cinema room that the movie's playing in.

Those, along with any other excuse, shouldn't be a reason not to want to see the movie in theaters. If you want to see it, you should go see it and not worry what others have to say or what kind of looks you may get. It's your choice to see it in theaters, not no one else's.

And with the excuse of not having transportation (which I will not argue that others may not have access too) shouldn't be an excuse either, look I'm going to go and see it on opening day at it's first showing at the Turlock Regal Cinema at 11:15am, and how am I doing that, but using the SRT. Bus transportation to do so. It may get me there an hour earlier, but it will be worth it.

So if I can find a way to go see it earlier, so should you and anyone else that may be worried about seeing it in theaters.  I mean if you want to avoid that kind of environment (kids, etc.) go to an early showing, sure there may still be kids, but not as many as to what will be after school or during prime-time hours.

Look, there is absolutely no reason not to see this film.  True story, I saw "Josie and the Pussycats" in theaters during an early showing, and no one at the ticket booth, or the concessions said anything to me about it, and it wasn't even that busy or crowded, when I went, and I enjoyed the movie for what it was.

So there shouldn't be a reason for anyone here, not to want to go and see the film in theaters, remember you have early ShowTime options to choose from if you want to avoid any kids or anyone else seeing you.

And if you want a good example of how do to this, thecinemasnob        went and saw "Barbie Star Light Adventure" in theaters at an early showing on 6/30/16  

and other then one little girl giving them a look, no one really said anything to them, (check out their review on YouTube to learn more)

So if they can could do something like that without worry, then no one should be worried about seeing the MLP Movie. Remember it's not rated "PG" for nothing, Hasbro/DHX Media/Allspark and the creative team knew what they were doing, when they created this film.

So again, don't worry about what others say or think, if you want to go and see it in the theaters, that's your right. Don't let anyone make the decision for you.

PS. another thing to remember, (even through I grew up during this period), this isn't the 1986 movie. This was given time to be built upon with 6-7 seasons worth of story to work off of, not two prime-time specials before it. And then just to have it serve as a theatrical pilot for the series that came after. This version had time to build and establish itself beyond anyone's expectations.

So again don't worry about what others say, and don't make up an excuse not to want to see it in theaters.  If you want to see it, then go see it, and If someone like me can find transportation to the Regal Cinemas that are showing it in my area, then you and anyone else can find a way via transportation too.  So go, and enjoy yourself!

That's all I have to say for now.  God Bless and Take Care -bwrosas

• Like 3

First of all, nobody is obligated to go see the movie.

The first time a movie was announced I was ready to travel to the US and see it. Later, it turned out to be Equestria Girls...

For this movie, I don't feel motivated to go to the theater in my own town, in my country. Particularly because after 6-7 seasons of the cartoon, and the Equestria Girls movies, I know what to expect. Especially knowing the people involved AND the kind of story the movie revolves around AND that the intention behind is selling stuff, not telling a compelling story about the characters that I've come to love. Honestly, some of the designs look very beautiful and original, but they look like they belong in another franchise. And they'll be in this story I don't particularly care about.

It's annoying because  most of this could be said about anything in movie theaters, so, these aren't reasons ANYONE ELSE shouldn't see the movie. I just wanted to mention this because I know that I'm not the only that feels this way. And I'm not going to give them money out of "fan obligation".

Maybe my mind will change after reviews start coming out and I can see it "for free" on tv, but right now, I really don't feel like it deserves my attention.

• Like 2

*Looks at $12.50 Barbie ticket*

Holy shit, Lost Sanity wasn't kidding. That was the cost of a 3D ticket a couple years ago. I could probably buy a Tommy James & The Shondells CD for that amount of money, and that's something I'm more likely to enjoy than the movie, at least.

I'd honestly have to agree with bwrosas here. While it's true that no one technically has any obligation to see the movie, I feel that fans of the show should go see it for the sake of supporting the staff and trying their best to make sure that it does well. The staff worked their asses off on this movie to make it as good as they possibly could and going to see it in theaters helps support the hours and hours of blood, sweat, and tears they poured into the movie. And while it's understandable why most people watch new episodes of the show online as opposed to on cable due to life obligations like work, school, and the like, on top of the channel itself being an exclusive to most cable companies' most expensive packages, the movie is much more accessible to fans and I think that should be reason enough to go support the show and staff that we love. If people can't see it due to life happening, I don't want people to feel bad about it since things happen that are beyond anyone's control, but I 100% think that if any fan of the show up to this point has the chance to go see it, GO FRIGGIN' SEE IT! And if you think it's too expensive, there's ways to save money on watching a movie in theaters. Watch a matinee showing, wait a couple weeks so it's eligible for some of those cheaper tickets sold by other stores, find a nearby theater that sells tickets for movies on the cheap for the sake of promotions, deals, or other stuff. If you can't see the movie, then that's fine. But don't let the reason behind you not seeing the movie be something stupid like worrying about others finding out you went to go see it, or worrying about kids ruining the experience for you. Like bwrosas said, there's ways around this as well.

In short, try and see the movie in theaters if you can for the sake of the staff who worked hard to give us this movie. Particularly the show staff who transferred from making a 22 minute long TV episode to an hour and a half long movie.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PixelGrip94 said:

The staff worked their asses off on this movie to make it as good as they possibly could and going to see it in theaters helps support the hours and hours of blood, sweat, and tears they poured into the movie.

2 hours ago, PixelGrip94 said:

In short, try and see the movie in theaters if you can for the sake of the staff who worked hard to give us this movie. Particularly the show staff who transferred from making a 22 minute long TV episode to an hour and a half long movie.

It's a cartoon. Not a war memorial. They didn't do it so that people could see the wonders of animation and marvel at their creation. They got paid to do it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

It's a cartoon. Not a war memorial. They didn't do it so that people could see the wonders of animation and marvel at their creation. They got paid to do it.

Just because they got paid to do it, doesn't mean they didn't put any effort into it. If that's the case, then I guess you should take everything the same way because people usually get paid to do it. If that's the case, we shouldn't be watching or enjoying the show in the first place because it was originally made with the intent of selling toys. And to an extent, they did make it for people to "marvel at their creation". Otherwise, they wouldn't have agreed to do the movie in the first place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toki Zensekai said:

It does make me wonder though if there will be rioters and haters outside the theater when the movie comes out? :ponder:

I doubt it. Considering everything else that's going on with the world right now, I think people have more to worry about (and frankly more to riot about) than a kids movie about pastel horses.

I'm going to see it the Saturday after it premieres but I have to drive to the next town to do so.  But, for the record, the reason I'm going to watch the movie is the same reason I started watching the cartoon series; because doing so makes me happy.  Not because it supports the staff or to make some kind of point.  Because it's what I want to do.  

Plus I've made pretty much a lifestyle out of wiping my @$$ with what other people think so I couldn't care less about what goes through the vapid minds of the local soccer moms and their screaming kids if they see me standing in line to buy a ticket to the My Little Pony movie.    

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PixelGrip94 said:

Just because they got paid to do it, doesn't mean they didn't put any effort into it. If that's the case, then I guess you should take everything the same way because people usually get paid to do it. If that's the case, we shouldn't be watching or enjoying the show in the first place because it was originally made with the intent of selling toys. And to an extent, they did make it for people to "marvel at their creation". Otherwise, they wouldn't have agreed to do the movie in the first place.

I didn't say that they didn't put any effort into it because they were paid. In fact, I bet we'll agree that "putting effort" is the minimum one should do when being paid for anything. After all, we're taking about professionals. I also didn't say that we shouldn't be watching/enjoying the cartoon because it was made to sell toys, or I wouldn't be here, otherwise. However I doubt that anyone bled, or even sweated, over making a children's animated movie. These words imply going above and beyond duty.

I understand what you mean and that, necessarily, a lot of work and time go into one of these, but that is why people get paid to do these. It's their job. Nothing outstanding about it: it's a product, not a gift that deserves praise simply for the fact that it exists. It's not even one that the producers are selling to us, they already sold it to Hasbro, and they are the ones that want the audience to return the money they invested. Nothing wrong about it, but again, it's a product, not a gift.

Again, I'm not saying that people should hate it because it exists, riot, and burn theaters where it's going to be shown. What I'm saying is that it must be treated as a product: all aspects of it, both subjective and objective, technical ones, should be open to criticism, both as merits and as faults.

Finally, agreeing to do movie would've meant something if they didn't get paid to do it. With that said, I'm not ready to go on the other side and say that they hate the fandom and the franchise and are only doing it because they're getting paid. So, I'd like you to tell me why is it that you think that the cartoon has any special meaning to the people involved.

On 9/25/2017 at 11:22 AM, Metemponychosis said:

Especially knowing the people involved AND the kind of story the movie revolves around AND that the intention behind is selling stuff, not telling a compelling story about the characters that I've come to love.

I'd like to think that the creators thought they had a story that was worth telling through a theatrical movie. Otherwise, they wouldn't have agreed to it.

It's funny I should say this because I'm expecting the movie to be similar to their 2-part episodes, i.e. the kind of episodes from the show I tend to hate.

1 hour ago, Metemponychosis said:

I didn't say that they didn't put any effort into it because they were paid. In fact, I bet we'll agree that "putting effort" is the minimum one should do when being paid for anything. After all, we're taking about professionals. I also didn't say that we shouldn't be watching/enjoying the cartoon because it was made to sell toys, or I wouldn't be here, otherwise. However I doubt that anyone bled, or even sweated, over making a children's animated movie. These words imply going above and beyond duty.

Like you said, no one goes out to make a bad show or movie.

And who's to say that the creators didn't overwork themselves while making this movie? Still, I will say that even if something has a ton of effort put into it, that doesn't mean it will be liked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

So, I'd like you to tell me why is it that you think that the cartoon has any special meaning to the people involved.

It has meaning to them because it's a cartoon they put a lot of work into and have got extremely passionate recognition and praise for as a result of the work they put into it. I think I speak for everyone when I say that making something that took a lot of time and effort that you're satisfied with is only made better if other people praise you for it, and that's what this show is to a lot of the staff. 

Plus, not many tv shows become popular enough to warrant having a movie made based off of them and the chance to do so with a show that had a lot of work put into it is great for any artist, writer, director, etc because, again, it means that enough people like it that they want to see more and it gives the opportunity for the artists, writers, directors, etc. to do more then what they were limited to when making the show.

2 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

However I doubt that anyone bled, or even sweated, over making a children's animated movie. These words imply going above and beyond duty.

1 hour ago, Number? said:

And who's to say that the creators didn't overwork themselves while making this movie?

I'm with Number? here. Especially considering that one of the interviews I saw of the writer Meghan McCarthy, she looked like she had better days and I'm betting it was because of all the stress she endured (And I'm sure the other staff endured) when making the movie over the last 3 years since it was announced. Especially when you consider the work she and a lot of the other show staff did to make the show good in the first place. We've seen what horrors MLP is capable of when you consider some of the older generation shows and the amount of blood, sweat, and tears they've contributed to those projects (obviously very little), so with how good the show is in this iteration, the staff have already gone above and beyond to make it what it is today, so it stands to reason that they'd go even further when making a full fledged movie about the exact same series.

1 hour ago, Number? said:

Still, I will say that even if something has a ton of effort put into it, that doesn't mean it will be liked.

And this is also true. I won't pretend that there's zero chance for the movie to be bad. There's always a chance, but like so many other people did with the show that we've now grown to love and enjoy, we need to at least give it a chance and support it if it is good so that not only do we get more tv shows like MLP, but maybe more movies of the same quality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Number? said:

I'd like to think that the creators thought they had a story that was worth telling through a theatrical movie. Otherwise, they wouldn't have agreed to it.

It's funny I should say this because I'm expecting the movie to be similar to their 2-part episodes, i.e. the kind of episodes from the show I tend to hate.

2 hours ago, Number? said:

And who's to say that the creators didn't overwork themselves while making this movie? Still, I will say that even if something has a ton of effort put into it, that doesn't mean it will be liked.

Also @PixelGrip94

Here is one scenario... Whoever decides that on the producers' side picked up a phone, called Hasbro, and said: "Hey, we have a nice idea for a MLP movie. Can you pay for it?"

And here is another... Some guy from Hasbro calls them... "Hey guys. We want a MLP movie. Here's what needs to be in it (the toys you need to sell) and here's your budget. Can you do it?"

I think that the second one is a lot more likely. Unless you know something I don't, I really don't have a reason to think that the idea came from the producers. The difference is that in the first scenario the movie exists because there was a story for it, and in the second, the story exists because there is a movie that needs it.

And I'm not even going to say that this is bad, but when thinking about passion and effort put into it, the first one is a lot more likely to be the case.

I recently heard from one of my favorite game reviewers about an interview with one of the developers for Arkham Knight. He mentioned, during the interview, that he really liked Batman's cape in the game. He said that the developer in question got really happy hearing that because the rain, the cape, these nice details that make games visually memorable, were things they worked on during their free time.

If you don't know the game, you have to trust me that these things looked very beautiful in the game, but let's assume that they didn't. As developers, it's their job to make the final product look as good as they can. Regardless of all the effort that they would've put in it, if the final product didn't shine, it would've meant nothing that they worked overtime to make it as good as they could.

This sounds unfair, but it's the same thing with the movie. And it's anyone's opinion if the effort paid off or not.

Personal opinion: the movie looks beautifully drawn and animated, but so is the series, in a different style, different end. The series doesn't have that wonderful Canterlot, but it never needed it, especially when it's doing the same thing the movie is going to during season openers and finales. It's like polishing a gun until it shines, engrave beautiful golden arabesques in it, and name it "Finger of God", but never replace the firing mechanism that keeps jamming the gun.

1 hour ago, PixelGrip94 said:

It has meaning to them because it's a cartoon they put a lot of work into and have got extremely passionate recognition and praise for as a result of the work they put into it. I think I speak for everyone when I say that making something that took a lot of time and effort that you're satisfied with is only made better if other people praise you for it, and that's what this show is to a lot of the staff. 

Putting a lot of work into it is what they're supposed to do to begin with. And the cartoon is popular, but that does't mean that it's good. It's not the fact that it's praised that makes it good. Seriously, anyone that does something simply because they get praised aren't professionals. You're talking about feeling good about something that you've done because it got praise. It has nothing to do with effort or quality. But maybe you're right. It would explain the way the fandom and the producers ignore and ridicule criticism towards the cartoon.

I'm with Number? here. Especially considering that one of the interviews I saw of the writer Meghan McCarthy, she looked like she had better days and I'm betting it was because of all the stress she endured (And I'm sure the other staff endured) when making the movie over the last 3 years since it was announced.

Do you think that MLP is the only thing that happens in her life? Now, I'm not saying that you can't be right. Only that you can be seeing things you want to see.

Come to think of it, do you think that any one of then would come on TV or tweet about how little effort they're putting into their job?

Especially when you consider the work she and a lot of the other show staff did to make the show good in the first place.

That is your opinion. I think she's done the show worse about as much as she's made it good. The same about the rest of the staff. Generally I like it, yes, but certainly not in episodes with a similar plot the movie is going to present. Like I said earlier: effort by itself doesn't give you anything other than a "You Tried" badge.

We've seen what horrors MLP is capable of when you consider some of the older generation shows and the amount of blood, sweat, and tears they've contributed to those projects (obviously very little), so with how good the show is in this iteration, the staff have already gone above and beyond to make it what it is today, so it stands to reason that they'd go even further when making a full fledged movie about the exact same series.

You'll get no argument from me that FIM is leagues better than, say... Gen 3.5. But what you're doing here is the same as a lawyer defending his client by shrugging and saying "At least he wasn't Hittler...". And the funny thing is that you could find people who like the earlier generations and not the fourth. To them, the argument would be completely reversed. Let's give Gen 3.5 the "You Tried" badge... They did come up with a product. And I wonder if the people that liked it at the time would've said the same thing about effort that you're saying here.

With all this I'm saying, it sounds like I want the movie to fail and see the whole franchise burn and be covered in salt. That is not true. I'll be damned if I didn't want to see my favorite ponies on the big screen. I just don't like the way it's going to be and I just can't put the visuals and music before the story.

I'm sure I'm going to like

Skystar and her mother, the shenanigans the Mane Six come up with underwater, etc... I may even like the villain and whatever sob story she has.

But the series could do the same. For the movie, I'd prefer something really worthy of a theatrical release.

Maybe October 5th my buddies that are going to see the movie are going to tell me how amazing it turned out to be and are going to make fun of me until I go see it. But even if the theatrical release is the time MLP finally does an amazing "season opener and finale" combo, I'm convinced that the money I spend buying the episodes from the Google Store is more than enough support for the show. Geez... Some episodes make me think that I already give it more than I should anyway and the comics almost convinced me that I shouldn't have bought the Guardians of Harmony Celestia and Nightmare Moon.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm done here. I know when I'm not going to convince someone and this is one of those moments so I'll just respectfully disagree and leave it at that. I've said my piece and that's about all I can do so hopefully we can just agree to disagree. I still say to at least give the movie a chance and to support it in theaters for the sake of the people who worked on it, but in the end it's not my decision. If you choose otherwise, I can't stop you.

• Like 1

I'm still on the fence about seeing this movie in the theater, but I'm leaning toward "no".

I'll wait and see what other people's opinions are after the movie comes out. If it ends up being exceptional, I'll probably force myself to go to the theater to see it. Otherwise, I'll just wait for the DVD release.

Well I certainly am not going to see it. I don't really like to go to cinema at all, especially alone. Also I hate synchronization and prefer English MLP. 

On 9/28/2017 at 4:48 PM, LostSanity said:

Which is what I'm going to do and nothing said will change that.

What if you met two hot pony cosplay girls while eating lunch and they said that if you went to the movie with them they'd show you a "good time" afterward?  How about then?

5 minutes ago, J. Brony said:

What if you met two hot pony cosplay girls while eating lunch and they said that if you went to the movie with them they'd show you a "good time" afterward?  How about then?

1. That wouldn't happen because I don't go out.

2. I still wouldn't

On 9/27/2017 at 1:09 AM, PixelGrip94 said:

I'd honestly have to agree with bwrosas here. While it's true that no one technically has any obligation to see the movie, I feel that fans of the show should go see it for the sake of supporting the staff and trying their best to make sure that it does well. The staff worked their asses off on this movie to make it as good as they possibly could and going to see it in theaters helps support the hours and hours of blood, sweat, and tears they poured into the movie. And while it's understandable why most people watch new episodes of the show online as opposed to on cable due to life obligations like work, school, and the like, on top of the channel itself being an exclusive to most cable companies' most expensive packages, the movie is much more accessible to fans and I think that should be reason enough to go support the show and staff that we love. If people can't see it due to life happening, I don't want people to feel bad about it since things happen that are beyond anyone's control, but I 100% think that if any fan of the show up to this point has the chance to go see it, GO FRIGGIN' SEE IT! And if you think it's too expensive, there's ways to save money on watching a movie in theaters. Watch a matinee showing, wait a couple weeks so it's eligible for some of those cheaper tickets sold by other stores, find a nearby theater that sells tickets for movies on the cheap for the sake of promotions, deals, or other stuff. If you can't see the movie, then that's fine. But don't let the reason behind you not seeing the movie be something stupid like worrying about others finding out you went to go see it, or worrying about kids ruining the experience for you. Like bwrosas said, there's ways around this as well.

I agree, I agree, I agree!  Can't pump much else here because you've already spoken my sentiments, but if I want Hasbro to pump more money into a franchise that gives me so much happiness then I need to show that I support that endeavor.  Rock on ponies!!  I didn't go on opening night, family commitments, but best believe that next weekend mine and my children's butts will be in those seats.

• Like 1