VG_Addict

Bad episodes this season.

Well, since you asked, might as well get some catharsis out of this absurdly overrated season.

• All Bottled Up rehashes character elements of Starlight's I find exasperating, and has Trixie's most irritating characterization yet.
  • Fluttershy Leans In features a bland, wholly external conflict which is way too shallow for how seriously the episode takes itself.
  • Forever Filly makes Rarity uncharacteristically insensitive and dense, and contrives every element to beat the moral into the audience's skulls.
  • Hard to Say Anything expects us to watch characters acting toxic and unpleasant without anything but a moral in return.
  • Honest Apple makes Applejack seem uncharacteristically insensitive and features some very dubious plot points.
  • Fame and Misfortune is simplistic and mean-spirited, offering little nuance beyond an angry screed and activities it just assumes we find laughable. It also tries too hard to deflect earlier criticisms.
  • Daring Done? is filled with noisy, obnoxious expository dialogue, plus it completely neglects everything interesting about its premise and completely wastes Rainbow Dash.
  • Marks and Recreation is just boring, with a serious lack of jokes, flat characterization, and a formulaic plot structure which provides little insight. 
  • Like 1

Personally, my least favorite episodes of the season have been A Flurry of Emotions, Fluttershy Leans In, Honest Apple, Not Asking For Trouble, and Campfire Tales. But the rest of the episodes have been anywhere from amazing to at least serviceable. Out of these, I'd pick Honest Apple for being the worst just because I feel Applejack has the common sense to know the difference between being honest and being rude. Plus, she'd never call fashion "ridiculous" in front of Rarity. She knows her too well at this point for that to be blatantly obvious. It's because of this that it feels like an season 1 episode that would've been done to strengthen Rarity and Applejack's friendship. Not a season 7 episode where they've already been friends for so long.

The rest of the episodes I listed are either boring or have problems with the plot that don't make any sense.

• Like 1

Was Fame and Misfortune "mean-spirited" because the fan ponies in it were clueless and terrible? To me it was more of a ribbing about the worst elements of any fandom, and what the Mane 6 would think if they could see what real-life fans thought about them and about the show. Way too many people saw that episode and thought "Hey, I think they're talking about me!" and got all defensive. I thought Twilight was better before she got wings, too, but I can still laugh when she hears it shouted at her from the peanut gallery. In-universe, she's not a cartoon character but a fully-developed person, and that's what makes it all so ridiculous to be criticized through that lens. You don't have to take it personally.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Friendship is Horses said:

Was Fame and Misfortune "mean-spirited" because the fan ponies in it were clueless and terrible? To me it was more of a ribbing about the worst elements of any fandom, and what the Mane 6 would think if they could see what real-life fans thought about them and about the show. Way too many people saw that episode and thought "Hey, I think they're talking about me!" and got all defensive. I thought Twilight was better before she got wings, too, but I can still laugh when she hears it shouted at her from the peanut gallery. In-universe, she's not a cartoon character but a fully-developed person, and that's what makes it all so ridiculous to be criticized through that lens. You don't have to take it personally.

I mean, my main issue is that I don't find that at all funny, and and the dialogue is so on-the-nose that half the episode just feels like an outlet for venting. And obviously harassing someone in person for facts about their life isn't quite the same as harassing someone online for fiction they wrote, and it's very different from simply reacting to a show in your own circle, which the episode also treats badly, so it feels harsh that the episode seemingly lumps all those things together. 

• Like 1

Try to think of it this way when it comes to 'Fame and Misfortune'...

It confirmed the show runners are hypocrites. That's what makes me feel better anyway.

7 minutes ago, Celli said:

I honestly don't think there has been any bad episodes this season to be perfectly honest.

There are episodes I didn't like this season but I don't remember if I called any of them "bad", TBH.

There probably were a few but in the end, it all comes down to your own personal preference.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

There are episodes I didn't like this season but I don't remember if I called any of them "bad", TBH.

There probably were a few but in the end, it all comes down to your own personal preference.

I liked them all for the most part :P

• Like 3

I can only speak for myself, but this is the first season which no episode I dislike.

That only happens on very rare occasion, in mostly every show I watch I find at least one episode I just don't like.

I think the last time that happened was the 4th season of Supernatural.

On 10/3/2017 at 1:43 AM, Celli said:

I honestly don't think there has been any bad episodes this season to be perfectly honest.

Same. I've been pretty happy.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 10:36 AM, Thrond said:
  • Fluttershy Leans In features a bland, wholly external conflict which is way too shallow for how seriously the episode takes itself.

You summed up my answer pretty well. It felt like such a nothing episode.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vinny Schway said:

You summed up my answer pretty well. It felt like such a nothing episode.

Yeah, it really was. When I saw it the first time, I thought to myself "Well, that episode...exists." There's not much that makes the episode stand out with the exception of the first giraffe we've every seen in the show (wow, what a milestone) and a culmination of how far Fluttershy has progressed from the first season, something of which there are better episodes portraying that and better ways to portray that in general.

I'm in the minority of people who actually likes Fame and Misfortune, but it was still a difficult episode to watch. Same thing with Hard to Say Anything, except I don't really care for that one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Icy Wind said:

I'm in the minority of people who actually likes Fame and Misfortune, but it was still a difficult episode to watch.

Why was it hard to watch if you enjoyed it? Was it one of those things like eating a hot pepper, where it's a masochistic kind of pleasure?

12 minutes ago, Friendship is Horses said:

Why was it hard to watch if you enjoyed it? Was it one of those things like eating a hot pepper, where it's a masochistic kind of pleasure?

It was one of those things where it was annoying to see Ponyville ponies acting like they'd never met the mane 6 before. It worked for the out of towners but not for characters you'd seen before. I liked the idea of it though, despite the fact that I saw the backlash against the episode before I saw the episode itself, so I was retroactively trying to connect everything to peoples arguments.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Icy Wind said:

I'm in the minority of people who actually likes Fame and Misfortune, but it was still a difficult episode to watch.

I'm in the same boat. I found Fame and Misfortune hilarious, and while I understand why the episode is distasteful to some people, there's a couple reasons why I don't think they should be taking what the episode says to heart.

For one thing, the fact of the matter is that if it wasn't for the fandom, the show probably wouldn't have lasted past season 3. In fact, when M.A. Larson wrote Magical Mystery Cure, it was written with the intention of being the series finale with that intention being changed shortly after the final script was submitted. Larson has stated this multiple times since the S3 finale aired so it shouldn't be news to most bronies. That being said, while it's true of any popular artist that they can sometimes get fed up with the constant criticism from fans, we know for a fact that the MLP staff appreciates all the love we have for the show because they wouldn't still work on it otherwise. Thusly, any statements towards the fandom here should be taken with a grain of salt for being the staff's feelings towards the fandom as a whole (a point of which I will elaborate on further down).

For another thing, to a point, the episode does tell it like it is for certain individuals of the fandom and the main point of the episode rings true as well. At the end of the day, the show as the staff make it is made to entertain people and teach them the values of friendship. While I'm not telling people not to analyze the show to whatever degree they choose, the fact of the matter is that most of the analysis of the show is digging deeper into a series that isn't intended to be dug that deep into. When continuity is considered, it's nice to have it when it's given, but MLP is no Breaking Bad and should rarely be treated as such (The only exceptions I can think of to this rule are episodes that specifically reference past episodes be they a normal slice-of-life episode or a season premiere or finale).

Lastly, M.A. Larson recently stated at a convention that he disagrees with the episode 100% and that the episode doesn't reflect his feelings towards the fandom in any capacity. So the people who are taking this episode to heart really shouldn't be because not even the writer of the episode agrees with the premise and only wrote it as a means to support himself in his profession (writers have bills too). Hell, he even talked about how he tried to change the ending to finish the episode on a higher note (something I think would've been better and potentially alleviated some of the fan reaction), only to be turned down and told to end the episode the way it aired. As he said, if bronies want to know how Larson truly feels about the fandom, they should watch episode 100.

At the end of the day, I can't tell people to not be offended, but what I can do is try to alleviate those who were offended by giving them reasons to ignore and disregard what the episode is saying about the fandom at large. That being said, if people dislike this episode, regardless of what I've said, more power to them. I'm not trying to convince them to like the episode, I'm trying to explain why they shouldn't consider this to be something to hate the staff over be it because there's some truth to what the episode says or because the episode doesn't truly reflect the staff's opinion of the fans.

Anyway, that's my opinion on the matter.