Depending on the Outcome (Box Office Wise), I could see a 2nd Theatrical Film coming out of this.  However, if we were to be real here, I say the most realistic logical choice would be Direct to Video to release a sequel on.  

Now as far as a story goes, I could see a story were we "finally" could have a crossover between The Friendship is Magic Mane 6/7 and The Equestria Girls Mane 6/7, and find out the true connection between both worlds.

I could also see a story were we get a "Passing of the Torch" , were the Mane 6 would have to seek out those that they believe Can carry on the Elements of Harmony from them, along with the Rainbow Power.

I could also see a story were it Centers around the "Guardians of Harmony" line.

And Finally, I could see a story were we get the "Return of Tirek", who by using some kind of magic along with the Generation's take on the Witches from the G1 film, helps resurrect The Storm King.  And The Mane 6/7 have to come together with some new power bestowed upon them/or they have to unlock to try and stop this group of villains from destroying Equestria.

But those are just my thoughts on how I feel a sequel could be released and my thoughts/ideas on what kind of story we could get out of it.

But what about you, how do you think it could be released, and what kind of story do you think we could get as a result. 

And do you anyone agree my thoughts on the whole thing? Let me know down below.  

Thanks and God Bless -bwrosas

Now to be honest I don't think they would go for any of those ideas. For the most part because The Movie and potential (if unlikely) sequels are more or less standalone products that don't rely on familiarity with base material in order to attract new generation of watchers.So Elements of Harmony that we haven't seen for years, Tirek and so on wouldn't be considered because those things require you to be aware of the show continuity from years ago. Instead potential sequel would be something completely new, only related to the actual MLP movie and not tv series, just like The Movie is.

And Guardians of Harmony was just a silly toy line that people get overexcited about. It did have comic mini-series and it was silly because MLP really isn't suited to be action oriented.

So what do I think would potential direct to video sequel be? Probably travel to some brand new location, maybe the homeland of that cat guy and Mane Six would face a new danger that would threaten their newly made friends. 

Yeah... um... I'm not even going to consider this considering the first movie isn't even out yet.

Plus, I'm still not sure I'll even be staying in this fandom.

With all that in mind... I'm not touching this.

In the sequel I think it would be about where they meet princess celestia and she said that the elements are cracked and showed them the cracked elements, the princess said that it was broken because of failing friendship, So they had to spawn nightmare moon and used the cracked  peices of the elements just like it in the past, but there was a mistake, the cracked elements were gone it was taken back to the tree of harmony. They had no time to let Equestria have a put down. That good?