PinkiePie97

My Little Pony: The Movie - General Discussion

Regular screenings start tonight, so I thought it would be a good time to start this thread. If you saw the movie, this is the thread to post your thoughts on it.

• Like 3

So, did I like the movie? Not really. Certainly more than Equestria Girls. If it had come out at the same time EG did, I'd have made good on my intentions to travel to the US (since it wouldn't be in theaters in Brazil). MLP Is predictable, tough. If you think you're not going to like it, chances are you're not.

This movie... I'm not going to spoil anything, but it looks amazing. Visually, it is gorgeous, even if ponies look a bit weird (though I think it's because they finally have volume). It sounds beautiful too, with the usual quality in songs and voice acting. But none of that is outstanding. I think that the best part of the movie were the locales and the cinematography, that is almost perfect. (funny thing: I noticed Celestia doesn't appear in any of the mosaics because of the camera angles and that they changed the throne room, somehow, they managed to make it a lot less impressive). The scenario aside, the movie looks and sounds like any other of it's ilk. In the end, there is really no "magic". Just like the series, it is good enough. Not great, not bad. Just good.

Especially because of the story. Characters old and new... Again, no spoilers, but it's a glorified season opener and finale back to back, with some "advertisement episodes" in between for good measure and characters forced into their rails by plot. Words like "biggest", "most important" are thrown around without any weight. It's the usual "new season syndrome" and it spends the first ten minutes presenting all the characters it cares about in the most obnoxious way only Meghan McCarthy could do. Following it with the new bad guys, in the typical season opener style. Jesus, I half expected an intermission at the twenty minute mark. I swear, the pacing for this initial part is hand in hand with what the cartoon would be doing. You decide if that is a good thing and it's a weird combination of "The Crystal Empire" and "Twilight's Kingdom". Tempest, she is a special kind of bad that only this franchise's fascination with villains and loathing of the good guys (particularly rulers) could create.

I REALLY need to stop expecting subtlety from MLP.

But I swear the Storm King reminds me of someone. And it's glorious. And even better that people are going to take this the wrong way, and I'm not saying a word more. But he is the only entertaining thing in the movie. Until we're supposed to take him seriously, I mean... I'm being unfair. Capper, Caleano and her crew are pretty good too.

So, be aware of that if you're going to see it and don't let it get you frustrated with the movie. It shouldn't matter, since I think that the franchise already wasted it's two best stories a movie could explore and the cartoon does exactly the same thing every year. Past the first arc, it looks like a crossover, and if you're paying attention, it manages to be almost insulting with it's references and with how idiotic characters become and the movie expects the audience to be, not to mention the giant, pointless journey this is.

I think that the movie is good enough for MLP and fans are definitively going to love it. So anyone that is still deciding if they should or not watch it in theaters, they should. They'll like it and the movie deserves more than a pirated version. Even if merchandising and the lack of imagination kinda ruined the movie.

In the end, I think I would've loved it, if it wasn't MLP. The movie didn't take advantage of the fact that the series has been going for almost seven years and the comics for years, and treated this as a if this was the first thing out of the IP. Particularly when the best thing about the movie aren't the ponies, but the new characters. There's nothing new about the ponies, just the appeal of "Hey, you've seen this, take more of it so we don't have to make a movie about the new characters." Again, it's not an MLP movie. It just looks like it. But that is just my opinion.

In conclusion, this how I felt about the movie. Most people in the fandom certainly don't care about that. So, I'm entirely sure most people are going to love it, since they don't see these things as problems. Again, go see it. It's beautiful enough to justify. The Staff of Sacanas... The power of a hundred armies... That's funny. Doubly so if you're brazilian... LOL

Sorry if this was too big, but I'm trying to be helpful. I think I'll talk more about the movie after people started posting their own thoughts here.

• Like 3

@Metemponychosis Read the review and, honestly, it matches point for point my thoughts - and I just read the comic and junior novel.

As for Tempest:

I think her backstory is slightly better than Starlight's, but that's not saying much. To mesh some phrases from The Three Stooges, you can be the biggest victim of circumstance, and still be the biggest chowderhead. In a way, she's like King Sombra in the comics.

@WaterPulseYeah.

Definitively. Though I think that the problem is not really circumstance, but that she seems to exist in a vacuum. Like Starlight Glimmer, in the sense that no one saw that the kid was growing up "wrong" and did something about it. It's like this place that really should care about friendship, doesn't." In King Sombra's way, I really blame Princess "What'shernane"?? She saw something was up, but didn't really do something about it.

I think I'm going to read the novel and comics. Though, it's more I gotta pay for. Are they worth the money?

@Metemponychosis

If you seen the movie, you've pretty much read the movie comic and junior novel. Not sure about the preview comics that IDW did. I liked the Storm King issue, though (it's the only one I got), but only because it did a better job of balancing his character quirks.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to at some point hopefully in theaters. If I do not see it in theaters, them whatever.

But what I'm really posting about is my guess about the relevance of the non-Twilight alicorns not just against the villain(s) but to the movie as a whole. And I'm more than 100% sure the following applies, or at least it does to Princess Celestia.

Don't feel the need to confirm or deny. I'd rather find out myself, and I doubt that I'm wrong.

I Went to the 11:15am showing, and even through it was just me and later on a Grandmother and her Granddaughter, I really enjoyed this film.  

I thought everything was done perfectly or at least to the best of their abilities .  

The movie did what it had to do, to not only give us (the fans) something we've been waiting on for years.  But it also gave the causal (non-MLP) audience an opportunity to get know the characters and the world they live in.  Now that last part may be a pet-peeve with some, but you have to understand, if the writing staff just straight up made a movie in the same vain of a regular episode (even a 2-parter), it probably wouldn't be as accepted as it has been overall.

Now, the story was very good! It gave us everything we (as fans) would've expected, plus more.  It was (to me at least) a perfect hybrid of having some episodic elements blended in perfectly with original animated movie story elements.

The Characters were great for what was given to them.  The established VA's took it to another level, and the Celebrity VA's really brought their A game.

Overall this was very good and Enjoyable Film! 10/10 Highly Recommend!

• Like 2

My official favorite thing to ever come out of the My Little Pony franchise. I loved just about everything about it. It felt like a relief after all the other crappy animated films we got this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bwrosas said:

Now, the story was very good! It gave us everything we (as fans) would've expected, plus more.  It was (to me at least) a perfect hybrid of having some episodic elements blended in perfectly with original animated movie story elements.

I can understand someone saying that they like the story, but saying that it is good is another thing. Can you expand on why you think that it is good? And what does it give "more"?

The movie did what it had to do, to not only give us (the fans) something we've been waiting on for years.  But it also gave the causal (non-MLP) audience an opportunity to get know the characters and the world they live in. 

I don't like this way people use "we, the fans" as a single, monolithic block, but I think I understand what you want to say with this: that real fans like anything, that we ought to know what to expect from the people that make the cartoon, after all this time. But what exactly did the story give us "the fans" that we expected? Do you mean "more of the same"? And why do you say that they presented the characters? Because the movie did a terrible job of explaining the characters other than the basic stereotype and/or niche (Rarity is the sophisticated lady, Pinkie is the funny one, Rainbow Dash is the athletic one, Twilight is the friendship princess, Luna and Celestia mess with the sun and the moon, etc...) At best, the movie shows Rarity being generous and the ponies being generally cheery. Even the new characters. Who is Celaeno? The pirate captain that decides to challenge her fears because of a song. Who are her crew? Generic pirates. Who is Capper? The smart guy, full of street-wise who does a 180 because someone showed a bit of nicety to him. Isn't that exactly what he does when trying to con others? Skystar? The lonely teen stereotype...

Now that last part may be a pet-peeve with some, but you have to understand, if the writing staff just straight up made a movie in the same vain of a regular episode (even a 2-parter), it probably wouldn't be as accepted as it has been overall.

I'm not sure what you mean. The first 20 minutes play exactly like the first part of a two-parter, then we get two "episodes" presenting the new characters, and then the second part of a finale. It's like checking boxes in a list.

Very, very good. The art and music were stunning, the story was perfectly fine considering they had to introduce themselves for a new audience. Emily Blunt brought her "A" game with Tempest.

• Like 2

I thought the movie was good. Not great, but good.

I admit that it took me a second watch to really like it because the first watch left me really disappointed. To keep it short, I expected a movie and basically got a longer episode with a higher budget. While that's not to say it's bad, I was honestly expecting more considering all the great things the show has done from a story and character standpoint.

The story was fine, and it works in the context of the movie (and the context of the show at least in the sense of the general theme) but the pacing is really fast and as a result, Tempest is the only new character of the movie that gets any real development. Unsurprisingly, she's also the best part of the movie by far. The Mane 6 are okay, but Fluttershy has the least to do and I don't think the characters are portrayed to newcomers who've never seen the show as well as they could have been.

Upon my first watch, I felt that Twilight's attempt to steal the Hippogriff's Mcguffin Pearl and blowing up on her friends was extremely out of character, but after the second watch I was fine with it for a couple of reasons. For one thing, while it's not focused on as much as it should be, there are points where Twilight starts to distrust the rest of the Mane 6 due to their knack for screwing themselves over by trusting every other stranger they come across (which ends up working in the end anyway because it's pony so of course they all become friends). That being said, not only does it make sense for her to take matters into her own hands and steal the thing that could save Equestria out of desperation, but also justifies her blowing up on the group afterwards. It could've used some more development to make that more obvious, but there's enough there for me to give it a pass. Plus, if Twilight didn't try to steal the pearl and royally f$%k everything up as a result, she'd kind of be a Mary Sue in the movie and that wouldn't be very interesting so that also allows me to give it a pass.

The Storm King and the Hippogriffs were by far the biggest letdowns for me (I think the Storm King inches out slightly over the Hippogriffs). The Storm King is hard to take seriously and it's because of how little he's in the movie even though he's supposedly the main threat. In the case of the Hippogriffs, I wish that they were used more, especially after the art book shows artwork of all the Hippogriffs following along the Mane 5, Spike, Capper, and the pirates to go save Twilight when that never comes to pass in the movie. As a result, they didn't have much of a reason to be in the movie aside from Skystar and were almost as useless as the Princesses were in the movie (something that actually didn't bother me because of how often it happens in the show). I guess I should mention Sia, but I won't focus on her too much because the movie didn't seem to either so I won't really waste my breath.

One thing that I praised with every single watch was that the animation and songs are amazing. The animation is fluid, colorful, and makes for some great expressions with all the characters, both new and old, and the songs are some of the best the series has ever done with a pretty good score accompanying them.

Overall, I thought the movie was serviceable and I did enjoy it overall (after the first viewing). While I do wish the pacing wasn't so fast so it would allow for some more development across the new characters (and even some of the old characters), the animation is beautiful to look at, the songs are a joy to listen to, and Tempest is a complete badass who steals the show. I recommend it to any brony who hasn't already seen it, but do caution some of the more critical bronies to watch it more as a stand-alone episode and less as an actual movie. 7/10

• Like 2

I saw the movie again. And I have to admit that I was wrong about Tempest when I compared her to Starlight Glimmer, which I do like, but think that she needs a more comprehensive backstory.

At first, I thought that Tempest's motivation was just the usual "something bad happened to me, therefore I'm Dark Edgy McEvil". And that is not true. Spoilers, because you never know...

While I don't really understand how can a staff charged with the magic of the most beaten and conveniently useless beings in the cartoon's universe can heal one's horn, maybe that is the point. She was desperate and put her hopes in the wrong person and believed the wrong things. I like that. Another thing is that getting her horn broken isn't the only thing that hurt her, but that she she couldn't really control her magic anymore AND that this caused others to withdraw from her. The images that tell her story imply that it was years of pain because of that, instead of a single event and I don't think that Twilight crying over that is over the top anymore. I do think that it's unlikely that she would grow in a vacuum where no one tried to help the kid "growing up wrong", but I like her a lot more now.

2 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

I saw the movie again. And I have to admit that I was wrong about Tempest when I compared her to Starlight Glimmer, which I do like, but think that she needs a more comprehensive backstory.

At first, I thought that Tempest's motivation was just the usual "something bad happened to me, therefore I'm Dark Edgy McEvil". And that is not true. Spoilers, because you never know...

Hide contents

While I don't really understand how can a staff charged with the magic of the most beaten and conveniently useless beings in the cartoon's universe can heal one's horn, maybe that is the point. She was desperate and put her hopes in the wrong person and believed the wrong things. I like that. Another thing is that getting her horn broken isn't the only thing that hurt her, but that she she couldn't really control her magic anymore AND that this caused others to withdraw from her. The images that tell her story imply that it was years of pain because of that, instead of a single event and I don't think that Twilight crying over that is over the top anymore. I do think that it's unlikely that she would grow in a vacuum where no one tried to help the kid "growing up wrong", but I like her a lot more now.

Yeah, a second viewing helped me like the film more as well and it helped me notice a couple more things that helped change my original feelings on it. Not with Tempest's story personally (I felt it was pretty justified the first time), but with Twilight's actions during the end of the 2nd act.

Quick Update: In the case of how this movie ranks compared to the other MLP movies we've had so far (ie, Equestria Girls), I rank them as such

1. Rainbow Rocks
2. MLP The Movie
3. Legends of Everfree
4. Friendship Games
5. Equestria Girls

(please don't kill me)

3 hours ago, PixelGrip94 said:

Yeah, a second viewing helped me like the film more as well and it helped me notice a couple more things that helped change my original feelings on it. Not with Tempest's story personally (I felt it was pretty justified the first time), but with Twilight's actions during the end of the 2nd act.

Well, I didn't think it was justified because I hadn't caught the important little details. So, I was just wrong.

Talking About Some Of The Nitpicks Fans Have About The My Little Pony : The Movie

Spoilers Contain within:

Here I discuss four of them.
Comments are Welcomed
#MLPMovie #MyLittlePonyMovie #MyLittlePonyTheMovie #2017

[Spoilers]

(Caution : Spoilers Contain Within This Video)
Comments are Welcomed
#MLPMovie #MyLittlePonyMovie #MyLittlePonyTheMovie #2017 [/Spoilers]

To start off with, this is my first post on this particular forum and I am not sure how to mark certain aspects of my post as spoilers.  Please continue to read at your own "risk."

I am an adult, with two kids (high school and elementary.  I am an elementary educator by profession.  The reason I say this is to show where my points of view of the movie comes from.  Firstly, as a parent, then teacher, and finally hardcore fan.

View 1:

Both my children loved it and are begging to see it again.  They are so enthusiastic about it they offered to pay for the second viewing out of their own money.  They both listen to the soundtrack non stop and love the merch being produced.  As a parent, this movie is a complete win.  Hasbro did their job and their target audience has responded in kind.  

View 2:  

I cannot approach anything for elementary or early childhood without dissecting it and trying to figure out how to incorporate it as a tool in curriculum.  This was my real mindset while going through the movie:  What are they trying to teach children.  MLP is a show that teaches lessons on socialization.  This kind of show is a dime a dozen and most shows targeting the elementary aged students are way too flowery and do not actually show true interactions that kids/students will actually encounter in the real world.  One of the reasons MLP has such a strong adult following is that their lessons are true to life and are not limited to life as a 3rd grader.  The movie delivers on a big lesson that I've seen kids go through year after year and even adults continue to struggle with it.  The following continues a lot of spoilers:

We start the movie with happy sunshine, rainbows, and lollipops.  Everyone loves everyone.  Lets sit around the campfire hugging and singing we are the world.  This is how most "female targeted shows" like to pander to their audience.  MLP has to break with that stereotype and of course something big bad and mean happens.  This send the Mane 6 on a quest to find a way to bring back the happy sunshine, rainbows, and lollipops.  Throughout the journey each pony (except Twilight) is an EXTREME of their personality/character.   I see that they are trying to hammer home the characteristics of these ponies to an audience that has never seen the show before.  Rarity gives more than she usually whines, Rainbow Dash is louder than her sonic Rainbooms, pinkie pie needs some adderall, Fluttershy is basically as useful as a tree, and Apple Jack is well... back to being a background pony that tells it like it is.  This is super easy for a child to pick up on whats "normal" for any particular pony.  The one pony not being a compilation of their complex personalities from 7 seasons in 5 seconds is Twilight.  Ok, so what does that tell me... 5 ponies are being true to who they are even when things don't work out the way they thought while 1 pony is fighting and frustrated and in denial about "Who you are is enough."   This lesson comes to a head when Twilight completely abandons who and what she is and resorts to becoming a thief.  The other 5 were making the best out of what they had and never compromising themselves and were on the road to success when Twilight caves under the pressure and throws every lesson she's ever learned to the wind.  Then comes the realest moment in the whole movie: Twilight loses it and lets Pinkie have it.  I would love to show this in a classroom and have kids talk about it and reflect on their own "Twilight" moment.  I've had more moments like that than I am comfortable admitting.  This was a real moment.  It has real consequences.  It is an amazing teachable moment for anyone that has ever had interactions with another human being.  My favorite part of this scene is when the other 5 come to the decision of going back to Twilight before Spike hits them with an emotional impulse.  For kids, they don't always know how to step away from a situation or when to step back into it.  

So basically, this is lesson 1.  Capper and Captain both have similar story arcs that further strengthen this lesson but were left out of the movie (you can read them in the prequel comics).  

Lesson 2 comes from Tempest and her backstory and road to redemption.  Her story has a common theme we encounter from many of the baddies the troupe encounters.  I think it is a beautiful lesson and one that we keep hearing about but no one is actually teaching.  Bullying.  We've all heard the saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."  The biggest bunch of BS to ever have existed.  Things that happen to us as children will continue to affect us into adulthood.  Someone doesn't have to be punching you on the bus or shaking you down for your milk money to be hurting you.  I see it happen all the time in a school setting.  Unkind words, neglect, spite.  And teachers/adults don't do anything.  I don't stand for it in my classroom or in my life but I am sadly in the minority.  I'm sure there were many other ponies very aware of how "Tempest" was being treated they just didn't do anything about it- after all its not like they were throwing the ball AT her.  

Lesson 3:  Actions speak louder than words.  Its not enough to say you are "sorry", "you are my friend", or "you are the princess of friendship."  Your words aren't the deciding factor.  It is what you do and how you treat others that is.  This is pretty common in kid plots but I think MLP ties it in nicely with realistic scenarios borrowed from lessons 1 and 2.

In sum: I could find some great ways to utilize this movie in a classroom.  It is definitely teaching kids valuable lessons while keeping them entertained.  It isn't a PBS show but it has educational merit where socialization and communication are concerned.  It is a complete success for its target age group.  And worth so much more than a lot of the animated crap being fed to kids that's out and about atm.  

View 3: The fan girl

This post has gone on long enough so I'm not going to go into a lot of detail.  PLOT HOLES.  This upset me a lot.  There were a lot of easy ways to deal with some of the characters that were MIA (cough discord cough).  I was willing to find satisfaction if they had addressed it in the prequel comics.  Maybe there was a primordial chaos family reunion going on that conflicted with the Festival of Friendship... geez anything was better than to just ignore it.  I just kept telling myself... this is a kids show... calm down... 

The way 5 of the mane 6 were obnoxiously caricaturistic.  Very insulting to someone who has followed the story line closely for 7 years.  Pinkie Pie belonged in a mental institution and Rainbow Dash needs to have her hearing checked- I went to a concert this past Sunday and I don't think my hearing was impaired enough to talk as loud as Dash was carrying on.  And the pacing... geez I came out with whiplash from the change of scenery and character introductions.  Too much too fast, there was not enough time to enjoy any of the new characters let alone species.  Still trying to figure out how they made it in 3 days time by walking.  But whatever.  The movie wasn't made for me as an adult fan. 

I've learned to let things like that go and enjoy it for what it is and what it was meant to be.  Was it fun? yes.  Did it entertain me? yes  Will I watch it again?  hell yes. 

All the kids in the audience loved it.  My kids haven't stopped talking about it.  The movie does what it is intended to do.  

• Like 1

@DarksideofFluttershyHi there.

EDIT: Welp, that didn't work...

To use spoilers, you use tags: type "spoiler" without the quotation marks and between square brackets to mark the begging of the text you want to hide. Then, you finish it with "/spoiler" between square brackets.

There is something that always bothers me when people are talking about the franchise as a whole, and I'll admit that maybe I'm just a sad old man that doesn't get things and may have spent his college years learning it all wrong. I'm a doctor and I'm studying for residency exams for psychiatry, thus my point of view about the subject is certainly different from yours. With that said, the thing that bothers me about the franchise is when people say that the cartoon "teaches" things to children (and even to adults). I'm pretty sure that no one will disagree that the cartoon is excellent at inspiring moral imperatives. But I think that downright saying that it can teach something, particularly social skills, may be a bit of the old media scare about violence in TV, under a different flag.

Particularly because "children's media" lack the subtlety of reality. Children know that what they're seeing is fictional and particularly simplified. It's literally the same as telling someone that suffers from social anxiety that all they need to do is remember that they don't need to fear judgement. What happens is that these can work for parents to use as tools in exemplifying situations. For example: being generous will earn you the generosity of others. The problem is that the movie itself misses the point with this: Capper was helping the ponies because he wanted to betray them. However when Rarity showed him her generosity, he acted as though he didn't understand "the trick" behind it. So, you need to explain to them the lesson they're supposed to learn.

I usually measure MLP "by kids' standards" by my now 11 years old cousin, but since I moved to a new town, I had to make do with my friend's 8 years old daughter. She caught it immediately, even recognized it as a movie trope. By the way, she loved the movie too. I think that anyone that watches it without a "critical mindset" will enjoy the movie.

Well, that is my experience in this subject. Saying that it can teach real life skills is instrumentalizing it too much, for something that is meant to entertain and already is instrumentalized by presenting stuff that you will want to buy because it will remind you of the experience of watching the movie. Maybe you can provide your point of view in relation to that. Particularly in relation to social skills.

Edited by Metemponychosis
Clarifying

On 10/10/2017 at 10:48 PM, bwrosas said:

Talking About Some Of The Nitpicks Fans Have About The My Little Pony : The Movie

Spoilers Contain within:

Comments are Welcomed
#MLPMovie #MyLittlePonyMovie #MyLittlePonyTheMovie #2017

Any discussion about anything is going to be dead in the water if you start by dismissing the other side's argument as nitpick.

I was really concerned about watching a dubbed movie, since I always watch the series in English, but I got used to the different voices quite easily. Therewasn#t really a moment where I thought "meh, this is boring". Maybe too much happening for little kids to handle. But I'm okay with it. Definately planning to get it on dvd once it is out

I watched it and foudn it fun, althoug yeah the pace is relaly rapid. Wish Spike got chance to really pep talk Twlight befor hse got caught.  Twilight was desperate for anyting ot use so the stealing the peral thing is justified. Her outburst was her stress coming out.

The storm king was like akid playing with fire. I mean how is this guy scary. all his minons are stronger then he is. plus magic obsorbing metal which is never expalined by need someway to subdue magic users.  No royaal guards lolz

For anyone going int the movie without having mlp experince, yeah they be lost. this movie isn't meant for a fresh audiance it assumes you seen some o the show at least. Which is probably why the reviews were so mixed

It has been too long since I posted on here, so I did not get to post my review shortly after seeing the film.  Yep, it has been over three weeks since my daughter and I went to see it.  I believe in NO SPOILERS so I'm not going to give any.  I am, have been, and will ALWAYS be a MLP fan.  4 Life!  But, somehow, I just expected more from this film.  Maybe it had been because I had been anxiously awaiting it since the beginning of the year and I built too much hype around it, expecting way too much, who knows???  As most of you have stated, the "look" of the film is breathtakingly beautiful.  Not quite how I would expect my ponies to look, but beautiful nonetheless.  But the story:  lacking.  As a fan, I could have sat there for well over two hours and have been fine, as long as they were actually doing something.  And maybe that's part of it?  The movie was too short so there really was no build-up.  Since Pinkie is clearly my favorite, I am really proud of the part that she played in the film, but still there just could have been so much more.  Will I buy it when it comes out on DVD?  To be sure.  Fan 4 life here! but truthfully, this could have been another television episode and have done just as well.  If you're going to give me a film about my beloved ponies, then give me a film about my beloved ponies!