PinkiePie97

Season 7, Episode 22: Once Upon a Zeppelin

Title: Once Upon a Zeppelin

Synopsis: Twilight is torn when she discovers the cruise she and her family are on is actually a themed vacation experience in which ponies have paid for the privilege of spending time with her. Will she be able to please both her family and the cruise attendees?

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

• Like 5

Much-needed Spike scene was much-needed.

And Iron Will's comeback blew my mind (granted, I didn't like how they made him a bit dishonest (when he'd originally been honest, if aggressive), but his escape was still hilarious as buck).

Also, the fans here >>>>>>>>> the borderline sociopaths from Fame And Misfortune.

• Like 2

This is Fame & Misfortune done correctly.

1. Unlike the former, Zeppelin doesn't forget to write a story. Brittany Jo Flores develops an actual story and intertwines it without making it the focus. It's not a hodgepodge of scenes and disguising it as a story. The story is the focus.
  2. The fans here have a very solid reason to be on the cruise. They were promised by Iron Will that they'll spend quality time with the princesses, and the ponies were really happy when they found out she was there. But if you take a look, no one on the cruise is treated like an asshole. They look up to the princesses and are happy to see them. When Twilight kindly asks them at the end if she can spend time alone with her family, they were more than happy to oblige.

Now, Star Tracker. He's awesome! Here's a question: If you as a teenager were guaranteed to spend a day with your favorite celebrity, would you be so giddy and nervous, too? I bet. Star Tracker's the second-youngest pony seen in the cruise line, and he was so happy to be with Twilight that he got nervous and accidentally got too close. His moment telling IW to leave her alone was AWESOME!

The fans aren't stereotypes, straw men, or dumb. They're people, and this episode shows that.
  3. Twilight slowly gets to the breaking point. She wants to be with her family, but misses activities from getting swarmed by Iron Will and her promise to live up to the deal. Missing the northern stars was her breaking point. Like To Change a Changeling and Marks & Recreation, the episode doesn't treat her or the fans as entirely in the wrong. Both sides have really good reasons to feel the way they did. But like Parental Glideance, when Twilight crossed the line and started yelling at Star and her family, the story doesn't let her off the hook. She's right to be frustrated, but not burst out and yell at everyone.

After Cadance (who had maybe her best appearance of the series) gave her some advice on where to draw the line, Twilight made things up and apologized to her family and Star. Her hug to Star Tracker was really sweet.

Really well done! :D

• Like 4

@Dark Qiviut

I think they read your complaints about "Fame & Misfortune" and rushed this episode out in response. ;)

Anyway, 

I liked this episode a lot, it had an interesting setup, a cool new location & an entertaining story that kept me interested throughout it's runtime.

• Like 2

I kind of wish Iron Will wasn't the antagonist this episode, but I'd rather have him be a lovable grifter a la Flim and Flam than... whatever he was in Siege Of The Crystal Empire.

Also, I wanted to give Twilight a hug throughout and liked how Star Tracker stood up to IW. He's as much an honorary Northern Star as he is an honorary member of Twilight's family for the day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WaterPulse said:

I kind of wish Iron Will wasn't the antagonist this episode, but I'd rather have him be a lovable grifter a la Flim and Flam than... whatever he was in Siege Of The Crystal Empire.

To be fair, this was still an improvement over his role in Siege (and him losing his seminar business here could be considered karma for said role).

• Like 2

Same as always pretty much. Viewer discretion warning.

Not much to say here either.

Although admittedly... this episode was probably the best episode I've watched in what seems like a REALLY long time.

The past several episodes have been a large chunk of mediocrity or more BS being shoved down my throat.

There were quite a lot of hilarious moments in this episode. :ajlol:

Iron Will returns once again and continues his scamming ways. :angrytwi:

The ponies here were just... creepy and stalker-ish. Particularly the pony that won the 'Honorary Family Member' prize. CREEP AND STALKER ALERT. :rariwat:

Overall there were A LOT of HILARIOUS moments in this one that legitimately made me laugh. :pwease:

It also made me feel bad for Twilight and it was understandable when she went off after missing the meteor shower thing. SHE NEEDS A HUG. I'LL HUG YOU TWILIGHT. :sadtwi:

At least Iron Will got his in the end though. :derp:

So yeah. 'Know where to draw the line when you become a celebrity/famous' was the gist of this episode.

I'd say I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. :happy_twi:

Lots of funny moments. Considerably better than the last SEVERAL episodes. :newspaper:

Current Status:

Stay: 100%
Leave: 0%

On 10/7/2017 at 3:49 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

This is Fame & Misfortune done correctly.

1. Unlike the former, Zeppelin doesn't forget to write a story. Brittany Jo Flores develops an actual story and intertwines it without making it the focus. It's not a hodgepodge of scenes and disguising it as a story. The story is the focus.
  2. The fans here have a very solid reason to be on the cruise. They were promised by Iron Will that they'll spend quality time with the princesses, and the ponies were really happy when they found out she was there. But if you take a look, no one on the cruise is treated like an asshole. They look up to the princesses and are happy to see them. When Twilight kindly asks them at the end if she can spend time alone with her family, they were more than happy to oblige.

Now, Star Tracker. He's awesome! Here's a question: If you as a teenager were guaranteed to spend a day with your favorite celebrity, would you be so giddy and nervous, too? I bet. Star Tracker's the second-youngest pony seen in the cruise line, and he was so happy to be with Twilight that he got nervous and accidentally got too close. His moment telling IW to leave her alone was AWESOME!

The fans aren't stereotypes, straw men, or dumb. They're people, and this episode shows that.
  3. Twilight slowly gets to the breaking point. She wants to be with her family, but misses activities from getting swarmed by Iron Will and her promise to live up to the deal. Missing the northern stars was her breaking point. Like To Change a Changeling and Marks & Recreation, the episode doesn't treat her or the fans as entirely in the wrong. Both sides have really good reasons to feel the way they did. But like Parental Glideance, when Twilight crossed the line and started yelling at Star and her family, the story doesn't let her off the hook. She's right to be frustrated, but not burst out and yell at everyone.

After Cadance (who had maybe her best appearance of the series) gave her some advice on where to draw the line, Twilight made things up and apologized to her family and Star. Her hug to Star Tracker was really sweet.

Really well done! :D

You do realize Hasbro just sees us as stereotypes strawman and dumb right?

• Like 2

So this was delightful. 

I think I liked this more than "The Perfect Pear." Perhaps the funniest episode this season - up there with "A Flurry of Emotions," and would easily be on par if Cadance had more to do and Star Tracker were a little more developed, but this is just so funny, and the moral is so good, that it hardly matters. It's also maybe a little too on-the-nose, but again, everything else compensates. This does stuff with Twilight that I've wanted since season 4, and Twilight's parents are just delightful. Wish Cadance could do things other than being a mom, though; as much as I love Flurry Heart, she's really limited the poor princess. 

And maybe watching this on a bigger screen would change my mind slightly, but I'm sorry, I really do think this looked way better than the movie. Surely they could have increased the details without changing the aesthetic. 

I think I liked this more than "The Perfect Pear." Perhaps the funniest episode this season - up there with "A Flurry of Emotions," and would easily be on par if Cadance had more to do and Star Tracker were a little more developed, but this is just so funny, and the moral is so good, that it hardly matters. It's also maybe a little too on-the-nose, but again, everything else compensates. This does stuff with Twilight that I've wanted since season 4, and Twilight's parents are just delightful. Wish Cadance could do things other than being a mom, though; as much as I love Flurry Heart, she's really limited the poor princess. 

Still, I could watch an entire season consisting solely of the mane six doing things with their families at this point. All three of these parent episodes have been fantastic, and while I wasn't huge on "Rock Solid Friendship," Maud was fantastic in it. I would even like the return of Zephyr Breeze at this point. 

And maybe watching this on a bigger screen would change my mind slightly, but I'm sorry, I really do think this looked way better than the movie. Surely they could have increased the details without changing the aesthetic. 

• Like 1

I'm going to spare the community another rant about MLP having no clue what to do with the title of princess, that Spike pretty much operates like a fax machine and just hope that this episode wasn't an analogy for something. Because that would be pretty stupid. And also thank whatever god is responsible these people aren't doctors or rule nations... I won't even complain how Cadance seems to teach Twilight a hell of a lot more than Celestia ever did, without the need to be turned into a waste of animation... It's just the running joke to me. Maybe I should add Shinging Armor to that list.

Mostly because I liked the episode a lot. Seeing Twilight's parents is always a treat and I want to see Twilight Velvet bungee jumping! Get on it, fan artists! Another thing, is that I love these airships. I just love the idea and their overall design whenever one appears. Iron Will and that annoying stereotypical (hopefully not inspired by any real events) goofball of a pony too. Even if I'd preferred if it was Flim and Flam in Iron Will's place.

It's kinda silly, but I liked seeing Cadance protecting Flurry. Even though They had to have Shining being the butt of the joke with both Twilight and Cadance making fun of him. It's just sad. It's like when they do it with Spike. Maybe people do find it funny, but I don't. I'm just glad he magically got better when the plot demanded.

None of that managed to bring down the episode. Twilight's explosion felt justified and everything turned out nicely, with her family... Doing that... In the end and everything else was fine. After seeing the movie, I feel the need to compliment the series' animation. I don't know. I just like it better.

I think it was pretty good, everything considered. Almost touching.

• Like 1

I really liked this episode. I think they did a great job with setting up the moral of the story and keeping Twilight in character in how she tries to constantly please everyone. I particularly liked how it was a slight change of pace in how this didn't turn into a "if you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one" and opted for "if you try to please everyone, you don't have any room to please yourself". While the other moral would've worked just as well, I'm happy that they went a slightly different route than I thought they would.

But by far, my favorite part of the episode is Cadance actually showing her knowledge of being a Princess which is something that we almost never see (at least someone we never see done correctly, looking at YOU Princess Spike). I've never hated Cadance as a character but always wanted the show to put her to more use in episodes other than 2-parters and this is one of the examples of that job being done quite successfully. Great episode all around.

• Like 4

On 10/8/2017 at 2:11 PM, ABronyAccount said:

It's a little strange how many episodes MLP now has dealing with celebrities and fandom interactions. I mean, it does fit since one of the main characters has been promoted to royalty. Still though.

Anyway, this was the best part:

https://derpibooru.org/1554647?q=iron+will%2C+parachute%2C+animated

I really think that they are using their fame as a way to teach boundaries.  They even went as far as to use the word BOUNDARIES.  This is a concept that most adults struggle with.  It was nice seeing the two common yet extremes of the boundary issue: Iron Will- only interested in pleasing himself no regard of the cost it takes on others, and Twilight- complete people pleaser.  There are books and books covering what this episode taught.  

I am also super happy to see that this is a lesson that ONLY Fluttershy seems to need to learn.  

As adults, many of us let others run over us in the name of our professions.  Twilight had this problem before she even boarded the ship.  Iron Will wasn't the cause of this problem but the catalyst.  This was a complex and multi platform problem.  I would love to show this episode to some of my friends who are being crushed by their jobs because they can't stand up for themselves.  

Shining Armor:  I didn't take the jokes about him badly.  I actually appreciated that the Big Strong Man was the one to "taken down" by motion sickness.  That's a weakness normally reserved for the ladies and their fainting couches.  If SA had just owned up to being sick there wouldn't be anything to make a joke at, and if they continued to do so then it would have been distasteful.  The dude tried so hard to play it off that he gets in a boat on a boat.  Waiting for him to make a joke as the black knight, tis but a flesh wound or maybe he could bite IW's knee caps.

personally i liked this episode

the fans are well written (unlike fame and misfortune)

the moral is an excellent one

SA had some good jokes (him fainting and the motion sickness)

spike was well done his moment was really sweet

the scene with cadence was heart warming

star tracker's scene was great

i give it a a+

• Like 2