MissVasNormandy

How to encourage an artist?

Hi everypony,

I would like to ask both creators and fans what are the good ways to write an appreciative and supportive message to a content creator.

Pony videos, fanfictions, animation etc. bring me much joy. I often find myself wishing to share my enthusiasm with the people who create such content, but sadly I'm not sure how. Of course a "like" or comment "this is a cool video" is the easy option but I repeatedly feel this is not enough. I'm worried that creators might dismiss these as not genuine, as if the writer didn't bother to write something more. I was hoping to get some tips, which phrases could carry more meaning and feeling. If you are a content creator what do you want to hear from your fans? What encourages you to make more art? 

Also, when a creator stops making content how do I express that I wish them to start making pony stuff again without being pushy or rude?

Thanks for submissions :happybonbon:

(I understand this topic might look silly but for me it is something that really bothers me. I am no writer, I have problem to express myself in written language and English is not my first language. Gosh, I've been writing this short paragraph for 45 minutes)

I think that the best way to do it, as a fan, is to provide honest and realistic praise.

As a content creator, it is with constructive criticism, reasonable expectations and useful advice. Not that a "consumer" can't provide constructive criticism, but creators ought to understand that they may not know what they're talking about, and may not even know what they want.

That, and Patreon, if you get my meaning.

As it has been said, the best way to support a content creator besides "likes, comments" etc. is with work or donations most cases. A lot people (including myself) can't spend much time, and if you're doing it professionally you can only really keep things up if things at least give you a little base you can spend time for without worries.

I'm a software developer and have been working for about 5 years now on a open world Pony mmo with a lot technologies i developed over the time additionally for it, and didn't ever received a donation or much attention, since i don't have a team for advertistment and social media. A lot people like you offered "passive" support, but it only actively helps then if you actually could do some of the work or donate, even just a little. Since i'm alone on it and even run into financial issues my plans changed to make it commercial with in-game purchases, avoiding copyrighted MLP content and going a more creative route partially altered like fanart. I would never cancel the project.

But that's a more critical case like mine, since it includes every aspect from audio to graphics and programming. If you're speaking of artists drawing ponies for example, a lot are even fine with a good reputation already, since you don't have the amount of work + time compared to game development. But some also want to do it professionally, or spending time they could doing paid things. If you're in school it's easier, if there is a lack of money that's likely the most frequent reason for things to stop.

2 hours ago, MissVasNormandy said:

Anti-Villan: So you think if I spam this video enough times FlimFlamFilosophy starts making Mentally Advanced series again? 

No amount of nice words will make Greg focus back on MAS. Besides, he is making a spinoff series Nepotism Adventure Series but it takes time. If you want to support him well like, subscribe, comment and of course most important is to donate. Money makes the world go round!  

Constructive criticism sprinkled with compliments? 

Everyone defends their work like their baby so it can be a touchy subject sometimes. Those super serious about improvement are looking to be torn apart though as to never make the same mistakes going forward.

You know, kinda sucks how one negative comment always overshadows a hundred good ones.  But that's just human nature.