Autumne

The Changing Vibe of Pony Morals

Heya everypony, made an account here because I really wanted to have a place to discuss this specific topic with other fans of the show.

The most recent episode, "Once Upon a Zepplin", ended with another moral about taking care of yourself even when that has to limit how much you can do for others. These types of messages are becoming more common in ponies lately, and I'm not sure quite how to feel about it. I think it's important to keep yourself going, but it's bizarre to see that on ponies where it just... stops at that point. It doesn't make sure to highlight a balance between the two, but instead clearly puts more weight on the 'yourself' side.

This is starting to impact my sense of the characters' degree of selflessness, and also the energy they seemed to draw simply from seeing they'd helped others earlier on in the show. It's making the characters feel more real; but, I come to ponies to get a little injection of hope and belief in people being capable of being a bit bigger and more altruistic/ideal towards others, so this change in focus has a slightly negative twinge for me.

It's led to the bizarre sense that even though all of our ponies have accomplished so many of their dreams since season 1, they seem more tired and less capable to handle new challenges than ever before, as if they're regressing in what they can take on and find a way to shine. They seem to need more time for their own needs now than ever before, when previously, the best battery to power their efforts or reward for those efforts was the effect they could have on others.

I'm wondering how other fans have felt about the addition of these types of morals, and what your reaction to them has been.

How have they impacted how you see the characters?

Do they impact what you get out of the show, or your enjoyment of it?

I can't say I am really having that feel. I mean it is just saying that before you can be able to help others you should be able to help yourself. Even ponies have limits, they always had. Like in season one where Rarity and Fluttershy care too much about what the other wants that they don't see that they are hurting themselves for no reason. Show isn't suddenly saying "be selfish", it is about balance between your needs and needs of others like Fluttershy and Zecora episode or even the Zeppelin episode.

• Like 1

I think it's an artifact of how the show is made. It has a lot of writers and they often change each new season and it's easy for them to let their personal experiences influence in the episodes. And obviously, each on has a different opinion on what being selfish and selfless means. Honestly, I thought that Twilight was already VERY nice agreeing to work with Iron Will, and then, the rest of the episode was she reaping the consequences of her decision. In this regard, I think that the episode did a very good job.

On 14-10-2017 at 9:04 PM, Metemponychosis said:

I think it's an artifact of how the show is made. It has a lot of writers and they often change each new season and it's easy for them to let their personal experiences influence in the episodes. And obviously, each on has a different opinion on what being selfish and selfless means. Honestly, I thought that Twilight was already VERY nice agreeing to work with Iron Will, and then, the rest of the episode was she reaping the consequences of her decision. In this regard, I think that the episode did a very good job.

This. New writers are a great way to insert different perspectives into a work of fiction. 

I enjoy this turn on it.  The main demographic for the show is little girls.  Now, while little girls aren't often at risk for this, women tend to be overgivers to the point where it becomes damaging.  In fact, the majority of women have poor results for marriage and men tend to have higher.  Teaching kids that "You can only help others once you've helped yourself" is important because of this.  And with shows, sometimes they start to shift the message.  If you have a four year old, then "You should help people!" is important to hear and show.  But take that kid and age them up a bit, say ten or eleven and they're still watching, then the message of not giving too much is just as important.  So new writers are going to shift things and the audience growing with shift things.  And that's a good thing.  If things were still like the first two seasons, it would be a kind of boring show by Season 7.

(Obviously the information above is not related to all marriages, all women, nor all men.  Merely the studies that were done on social relationships talk about it.  I know selfish women and selfless guys and people who think they're selfless when they aren't.)

• Like 1