PinkiePie97

Season 7, Episode 23: Secrets and Pies

Title: Secrets and Pies

Synopsis: When Pinkie Pie thinks she sees Rainbow Dash throw away one of her pies, she suspects the worst - that Rainbow Dash secretly hates her pies; Pinkie Pie attempts to catch Rainbow Dash in her web of lies.

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family 

This one stunk. Badly.

1. Pinkie's characterization is easily the worst of the season. For so long, she genuinely fell for Dash "look-at-that!" trick and believed Dash enjoyed her pies. Pinkie, you're usually great. You became a mega-idiot here.
  2. The entire story is a stretched-out, paper-thin ripoff of Party of One. The only true difference is Pinkie didn't become super deranged.
  3. Rainbow Dash (as wrong as she was for lying and betraying Pinkie's trust) had to undergo the same, clichéd shtick of having to be taught a lesson. To the point of punishing herself to teach a lesson.
  4. Almost every joke sucked. Each of them can be placed in one of three categories:
    1. Stretching for far too to the point of thin. After the first time, Dash's "look at that!" and all other variations got old. Fast.
    2. Degrading characterization. Dash was OOC for feeding Tank her pie. If she's a smart, responsible master, she wouldn't poison him in desperation to get rid of her pie. The fact she did it twice is even worse! As someone who takes care of two cats and sees them as my children, it really pissed me off!
    3. Disgusting. Pinkie's exaggerated, big-lipped face; the detailed fatigue in her eyes; and that detailed dumpster were completely disgusting. The worst here, the dumpster pie, is in exaggeratedly gross detail and pure nightmare fuel. One of the worst jokes of the series.

The only redeeming values here are Pinkie's imagination creating the evil Dash in her memory, Twilight and AJ, the moral itself ("Better to be honest to your friend than hold onto a lie so long"), and Pinkie waking up Dash.

No, it's not awful, but it's bad. It joins Infamous & Mistake-in-Storytelling (an objectively worse episode than S&P) as the second bad episode this half. So far, easily Hamilton's worst in the series.

• Like 3

As soon as I saw what kind of episode this one (the long, repetitive joke with a punchline it reveals before it actually happens), I realized the only thing I liked about is was Pinkie's imagination. I liked it while I thought Pinkie was just being paranoid.

• Like 1

This episode was fantastic! When the premise is obvious like this, the journey through to the already-known conflict is what can make or break an episode. This one delivered on all levels: physical comedy, pacing, swift dialog gags, faic, consistent characterization, those little touches in the vocal delivery, callbacks to previous episodes! EVEN THE TITLE!

As Pinkie Pie's snares grew ever more elaborate, Dash's opportunities for plausible deniability shrank. But who better to pull a fast one on Pinkie than the fastest pony in Equestria? And the increasing complexity of Pinkie's schemes was neatly foiled by Dash's comparative nonchalance. It really demonstrates Pinkie's general approach to problems: throw ever more energy and enthusiasm at it until something gives. Here, this manifested as a sequence that approached the mania of Ed Edd 'n Eddy at their peak! You can tell that everybody from the writers, storyboarders, animators, and VAs were going to the limits of Pony production here, keeping things relentless and fluid.

Also, resolution via hugs!

Also, say hello to my new out-of-context wallpaper!

• Like 3

I thought this episode was fun. Yeah, the premise is similar to an episode that we got way back in Season 1 (Green Isn't Your Color), but I feel that it's saved by Rainbow doing something that is wrong for the right reasons (as opposed to wrong for the wrong reasons like she sometimes does) and by Pinkie's antics. Plus, she made it a point to research everything before making an assumption that what she thought was happening was true. Looks like she learned from MMMMystery on the Friendship Express after all. Yeah, the episode wasn't perfect, but it was meant to be a fun, slapstick fueled episode and I think it succeeded in that well enough to get a pass. It's still better than some of the earlier episodes from this season...

• Like 3

I'm surprised more people here don't have sympathy for Pinkie. Making baked goods is not easy, it's messy and very time consuming. Giving someone a home made pie is a gift from the heart and to learn that the recipient tossed it in the trash would be devastating; that you and your efforts are garbage as well. It was a funny episode, and I enjoyed it, but I had sympathy pains throughout.

• Like 2

Really surprised how much I enjoyed this one, considering I was expecting this to be a disaster of "28 Pranks Later" level proportions

• Like 1

For somepony who prides herself on tailoring her parties to her friends' individual needs, Pinkie never seemed to realize that one of Equestria's top, professional athletes can't be eating pies for every silly little occasion. RD's got to stay aerodynamic.

4 hours ago, Megas75 said:

Really surprised how much I enjoyed this one, considering I was expecting this to be a disaster of "28 Pranks Later" level proportions

Yeah, I was afraid of getting the same thing. I think what really helps the episode over "28 Pranks Later" is the fact that Rainbow is only pretending to eat the pies because she'll feel bad about hurting Pinkie's feelings. She's doing the wrong thing for the right reasons so it's easier to sympathize with her. Plus, a lot of the time it seemed like she was giving them to everypony else and very rarely was she straight up just throwing them away so it's not like she was wasting them (except in the beginning of the episode which is kind of what screwed her over in the first place)

• Like 1

Just your average viewer discretion warning.

Nothing much to say here either.

Pinkie Pie played detective like she did during Mystery on the Friendship Express.

Pinkie Pie antics are always hilarious and great. That's pretty much the gist of this episode.

Rainbow Dash with laser eyes is scary. :why:

Pinkie Pie lost more and more of her sanity throughout this episode. Pretty disconcerting. I was worried creepy Pinkamena would reappear as well. But luckily that didn't happen.

When she had her 'obsession' chart and parts of it glowed... it kind of reminded me of Ace Attorney (the newer games) where you put everything together to solve what really happened. So I liked that as well.

I honestly felt sorry for Pinkie near the end. LYING IS BAD. DON'T DO IT. :suspicious:

Though what Rainbow was willing to do to make it up... WOW. THAT MONSTROSITY WOULD HAVE KILLED HER PROBABLY. :stararity:

As for the 'morale, lesson' or whatever you want to call it... it seems like they've already done this before. But oh well.

I'd say I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. So I definitely liked it.

WHICH I CERTAINLY CAN'T SAY FOR THE NEXT ONE.

UGH. ANOTHER EPISODE I HAVE TO FORCE MYSELF THROUGH. :applebelch:

Well regardless I liked this episode.

Current Status:

Stay: 100%
Leave: 0%

It's already at 100/0 so I can't really do anything with it.

3 hours ago, PixelGrip94 said:

it's not like she was wasting them (except in the beginning of the episode which is kind of what screwed her over in the first place)

Oh don't worry about that, that pie never made it to the dump. There's a reason that garbage pony was being evasive.

• Like 1

Good riddance, strawberry cream and peaches 'o plenty! Begone, apple crumble and lemon surprise!

I mean, if you didn't KNOW she was talking about pies, wouldn't you have just assumed she was talking about ponies with names like Apple Crumble and Peaches O'Plenty?