Steamworks

More Obscure TF2 Mechanics

There's always more to learn about the game for even the experienced players (to quote stabby, "4000 hours and still learning") and always newbies who don't know their asshole from a Scattergun (it's quite the shit show).

While not exactly obscure, I've had to explain crit heals to Medic mains more times than I should have. In short, if you haven't taken damage in the last 10 seconds, Mediguns will heal you faster. At 15 seconds with 0 damage taken (or if you've freshly spawned and haven't taken damage yet), you'll be healing at a sweet 72hp/sec. This means Scouts buff super fast and that Heavy at 12hp will get to 450 in only half an eternity if they've got crit heals. Even if you're not playing Medic, it can be pretty useful to hump the Dispenser while waiting for crit heals and then bother the Medic for a top off/buff.

This one is new for me: TF2 uses axis-aligned physics hitboxes. This handles projectile collisions and player collisions. Axis-aligned means that it doesn't rotate with the player, so it's actually advantageous to attack at an angle to the axes than along them since the amount of box facing you is larger.

10 hours ago, Yoko said:

So do I tell my teammates not to start running out from cover when I'm healing them and wait for my crit heal to heal up?

If you are playing Medic in a (somewhat-)coordinated team, tell them to wait in cover for crit heals to build up. If you are any other class, and you are on low hp, try not to take any damage if you don't need to (in a big fight sure, if you can avoid it without risking anything then try to stay defensively.) I play Medic alot and if people actually wait for their critheals, I am very thankful. And if you are playing demoman or Soldier when you wanna get healed, try to avoid damaging yourself whenever possible, unless it is unavoidable. You have to trade Critheals for Mobility and need to decide, which factor is more important in each situation (if you get damaged by the enemy anyway, it doesn't matter.)

The Battle Cry voice command plays special lines when you're aiming at someone else on your team. It can be used for spy checking since the lines don't trigger when aiming at an enemy, even if they're disguised.