bwrosas

Why The Writers Have Written Twilight Sparkle The Way They Have After "Magical Mystery Cure"

This my theory on why the Writing staff has Written Twilight Sparkle the way they have after "Magical Mystery Cure".  These are just my thoughts.
Comments are Welcomed
#MLPMovie
#MLPSeason7
#TwilightSparkle

The problem with MMC is that it sets up Twilight as becoming something special (or rather reaching the point where she becomes that special something), but because the writers later tried to keep close to a status quo, Twilight never really changed.

I think you're (or Josh, I'm not sure) wrong when you say that Twilight's destiny wasn't to learn about magic and all that, but rather to become a princess. She became a princess because she realized her destiny, that was to do that. Or rather, because of the stupid way MLP uses this word, her destiny was both. In other words, you're separating the thing that Twilight was meant to do in order to become the princess and the fact that she became the princess as if they were independent.

Honestly, I think that the problem with the Elements is simply because they lost importance as the series progressed.

The whole problem about Twilight's 'princesshood' comes from the fact that the writers don't really know what to do with the title of princess. In the end, Equestria has five princess and in the case of each character, the title means something different. Ans the problem is that Twilight is not Celestia's equal (I mean, the story wants her to be, but it's asinine because of how much experience Celestia has over her, that is never apparent because the writers ALWAYS write Celestia like a clueless teenager these past seasons).

So what ARE Twilight's royal duties? How does she perform them? Compare that to Luna's.

So, yes, they could've waited on giving Twilight her title and wings, but it wouldn't have made a difference. Look at Cadance. Her role as princess gets reduced to being Twilight's mentor/older sister.

Don't compare Once Upon a Zeppelin to the movie. It's not fair. They're completely different kinds of story and her motivations for doing what she does in both are prety much diametrically opposite. In one she's "being too much the Princess of Friendship" and in the other she's being too little of it.

And then again, what is the point of making her long being something different when you can't define what she is right now and how that affects her. It works for Once Upon a Zeppelin because the point is that she was working and wanted to relax, contrary to the movie where she betrays everything that made her what she is. And it shows that the writers didn't know what they were doing because Twilight was called on betraying her friends, but not her past in the series and everything that made her special. Again, what is the point of having a princess of friendship, if she's not as soon as the plot demands it?

I think you're conflating two different things when you make your point about Twilight and her lack of confidence in Starlight Glimmer. That was Twilight being Twilight, and if the writers changed that, they'd have changed the character too much. Not to mention that she had ample reasons to think that everything was going to go wrong. Again, they wrote Twilight into a wall they can't climb over with the whole princess thing. I can see, for example, her teaching SG and Royal Problem going exactly the same if she WASN'T a princess. SG's mission, had nothing to do with Twilight being a princess, contrary to the movie and Once Upon a Zeppelin.

You shouldn't compare Twilight being a princess to a profession. Twilight's role as a princess, whatever it is, is much more intrinsically connected to her being. Otherwise, the whole point of MMC is lost. I'm a physician, but there is nothing stopping me from saying "To hell with it all" and studying to become a lawyer. Twilight can't simply stop being the princess, and if she did, the problem would be much bigger than some schmuck who decided he didn't to keep in his profession. There are countless doctors, but only one Princess of Friendship. Again, the writers don't have a clue what to do with the title.

Also, "Hasbro told us to" is not an excuse. I don't care where an idea came from, if it is in the final product, that is all that matters. While I agree that they could've held the idea of Twilight becoming the princess (a great way to end the series, if you ask me), the fact that there is more they could've done with Twilight before that isn't really what bothers me about her being a princess (I like the idea) it's that her title doesn't really hold the weight it should.

Lauren never said that Twilight would become a princess. In fact, she said that if it was up to her, there would be only two alicorns (the term didn't even exist at the time, and I could be wrong, but I think she used the word princess). Though It's really a moot point discussing what she'd want because not only, for example, because Celestia was supposed to be a queen and it would just be stupid to call Twilight a princess by promotion like that, but also because she left the show and her opinion holds no weight on it, necessarily.

Dude, I don't know if you can say about Twilight that she'd like to go back to having no responsibilities, because the first thing she did in the series WAS to seek responsibility in dealing with Nightmare Moon. I think that the problem with Twilight is that it's just too easy to go into these ideas that "Oh... Working is tiresome, I want to rest." rather than Twilight doubts her whole reason for existing. Particularly in "cutiemarkland". Especially because Twilight never really changed consistently.

Personally, I think that Twilight is the least of the show's problems with princesses and, I don't want the cartoon to actually do this "I don't want to be a princess", because I know they'd screw it up and whatever character they did it with, it would've looked like a child having a temper tantrum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

The problem with MMC is that it sets up Twilight as becoming something special (or rather reaching the point where she becomes that special something), but because the writers later tried to keep close to a status quo, Twilight never really changed.

I think you're (or Josh, I'm not sure) wrong when you say that Twilight's destiny wasn't to learn about magic and all that, but rather to become a princess. She became a princess because she realized her destiny, that was to do that. Or rather, because of the stupid way MLP uses this word, her destiny was both. In other words, you're separating the thing that Twilight was meant to do in order to become the princess and the fact that she became the princess as if they were independent.

Honestly, I think that the problem with the Elements is simply because they lost importance as the series progressed.

The whole problem about Twilight's 'princesshood' comes from the fact that the writers don't really know what to do with the title of princess. In the end, Equestria has five princess and in the case of each character, the title means something different. Ans the problem is that Twilight is not Celestia's equal (I mean, the story wants her to be, but it's asinine because of how much experience Celestia has over her, that is never apparent because the writers ALWAYS write Celestia like a clueless teenager these past seasons).

So what ARE Twilight's royal duties? How does she perform them? Compare that to Luna's.

So, yes, they could've waited on giving Twilight her title and wings, but it wouldn't have made a difference. Look at Cadance. Her role as princess gets reduced to being Twilight's mentor/older sister.

Don't compare Once Upon a Zeppelin to the movie. It's not fair. They're completely different kinds of story and her motivations for doing what she does in both are prety much diametrically opposite. In one she's "being too much the Princess of Friendship" and in the other she's being too little of it.

And then again, what is the point of making her long being something different when you can't define what she is right now and how that affects her. It works for Once Upon a Zeppelin because the point is that she was working and wanted to relax, contrary to the movie where she betrays everything that made her what she is. And it shows that the writers didn't know what they were doing because Twilight was called on betraying her friends, but not her past in the series and everything that made her special. Again, what is the point of having a princess of friendship, if she's not as soon as the plot demands it?

I think you're conflating two different things when you make your point about Twilight and her lack of confidence in Starlight Glimmer. That was Twilight being Twilight, and if the writers changed that, they'd have changed the character too much. Not to mention that she had ample reasons to think that everything was going to go wrong. Again, they wrote Twilight into a wall they can't climb over with the whole princess thing. I can see, for example, her teaching SG and Royal Problem going exactly the same if she WASN'T a princess. SG's mission, had nothing to do with Twilight being a princess, contrary to the movie and Once Upon a Zeppelin.

You shouldn't compare Twilight being a princess to a profession. Twilight's role as a princess, whatever it is, is much more intrinsically connected to her being. Otherwise, the whole point of MMC is lost. I'm a physician, but there is nothing stopping me from saying "To hell with it all" and studying to become a lawyer. Twilight can't simply stop being the princess, and if she did, the problem would be much bigger than some schmuck who decided he didn't to keep in his profession. There are countless doctors, but only one Princess of Friendship. Again, the writers don't have a clue what to do with the title.

Also, "Hasbro told us to" is not an excuse. I don't care where an idea came from, if it is in the final product, that is all that matters. While I agree that they could've held the idea of Twilight becoming the princess (a great way to end the series, if you ask me), the fact that there is more they could've done with Twilight before that isn't really what bothers me about her being a princess (I like the idea) it's that her title doesn't really hold the weight it should.

Lauren never said that Twilight would become a princess. In fact, she said that if it was up to her, there would be only two alicorns (the term didn't even exist at the time, and I could be wrong, but I think she used the word princess). Though It's really a moot point discussing what she'd want because not only, for example, because Celestia was supposed to be a queen and it would just be stupid to call Twilight a princess by promotion like that, but also because she left the show and her opinion holds no weight on it, necessarily.

Dude, I don't know if you can say about Twilight that she'd like to go back to having no responsibilities, because the first thing she did in the series WAS to seek responsibility in dealing with Nightmare Moon. I think that the problem with Twilight is that it's just too easy to go into these ideas that "Oh... Working is tiresome, I want to rest." rather than Twilight doubts her whole reason for existing. Particularly in "cutiemarkland". Especially because Twilight never really changed consistently.

Personally, I think that Twilight is the least of the show's problems with princesses and, I don't want the cartoon to actually do this "I don't want to be a princess", because I know they'd screw it up and whatever character they did it with, it would've looked like a child having a temper tantrum.

He hasn't taken any of the constructive criticism I've seen thrown his way yet, and I don't think he's ever going to. You're probably talking to thin air

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mystic Thunder said:

He hasn't taken any of the constructive criticism I've seen thrown his way yet, and I don't think he's ever going to. You're probably talking to thin air

Just given my opinion on what some others have said.

10 hours ago, Mystic Thunder said:

Maybe. It's up to him. This is what the forum is for though. Talking about the cartoon and everything that surrounds it. This guy started a conversation and it got me interested enough to listen to him. I think that he has valid points to make about the subject, even if I disagree, then I posted my thoughts about it. Maybe he thinks that my comment is worth an answer, and in this case, great! We'll have a conversation. But maybe he thinks that my comment is only good for him to print and use to wipe his ass. That is fine too: I already got what I wanted from this. It made me think about the points he brought up. Or maybe he just doesn't want to invest more time on this and moves on. Whatever he decides to do with my comment, is fair enough to me.

8 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

Maybe. It's up to him. This is what the forum is for though. Talking about the cartoon and everything that surrounds it. This guy started a conversation and it got me interested enough to listen to him. I think that he has valid points to make about the subject, even if I disagree, then I posted my thoughts about it. Maybe he thinks that my comment is worth an answer, and in this case, great! We'll have a conversation. But maybe he thinks that my comment is only good for him to print and use to wipe his ass. That is fine too: I already got what I wanted from this. It made me think about the points he brought up. Or maybe he just doesn't want to invest more time on this and moves on. Whatever he decides to do with my comment, is fair enough to me.

what points may those be?

On 10/19/2017 at 4:43 PM, Snide Ways said:

I love when certain people get this worked up about a cartoon; I've seen more whinging here than shows like "The Walking Dead".

On 10/19/2017 at 12:44 PM, Mystic Thunder said:

It also doesn't help, and I'm not attacking him, BTW, that Mr. Rosas is an... interesting member of the Sonic fandom.

• Like 2