NerdusMaximus

To those who've seen both the original version and a local dub

In another thread, I've seen someone who hadn't expected much from the dub in his home country (France), but had yet given it a chance after some encouragement and actually ended up liking (based on the choice of words maybe even loving) it. I have yet to see my own local dub (german), because I'm waiting for the screenings to be a little less frequently visited, especially by kids, but I was wondering what experiences you made. And also: which version did you see first? Did any of you like the dub even after seeing the original first and being able to compare them?

• Thanks 1

Sorry, never had intention of seeing my dub, I don't really like either of the dubbing teams. Or are there three by now? They keep confusing me. I do hope that the cinema team is at least the one that doesn't translate pony names. I am so much used to Twilight, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Dash, Applejack and Rarity and am always confused when I hear Noćna Iskra, Tihana, Rozeta, Šarenlota, Jabuklina and Divna. Ironically Discord keeps his name in the dub that changes names but changes name in the dub that keeps names.

2 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Sorry, never had intention of seeing my dub, I don't really like either of the dubbing teams. Or are there three by now? They keep confusing me. I do hope that the cinema team is at least the one that doesn't translate pony names. I am so much used to Twilight, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Dash, Applejack and Rarity and am always confused when I hear Noćna Iskra, Tihana, Rozeta, Šarenlota, Jabuklina and Divna. Ironically Discord keeps his name in the dub that changes names but changes name in the dub that keeps names.

Well, in the german one, they kept them, at least as far as I know. Maybe some minor characters that didn't appear in any of the episodes I saw in the dub had their names changed, but the Mane 6 kept theirs, as well as Discord, the Alicorns, Pinkies and Applejacks family, Starlight&Trixie...even Starswirl was kept, despite being nothing but a mention-only char for a long time (though they translated his title)

• Like 2

Even if I'm disappointed a bit the theater don't offer to watch the original version, I liked the French version, really.

I will buy the DVD of course, because I would like to watch it in many languages. I've already watched some episodes in Russian, Italian, Spanish, German, Polish,  Jap, and globally, I think it's all good versions with implicated dubbers.

I guess that MLP is not something difficult to understand for dubs, even if yes, sometimes, there are many fails. The real difficulties is about the songs, globally, I prefer almost all in English. And yes, for the movie too.

• Like 1

On my second cinema visit I watched the German version, since I was interested who does the VA for the new characters. 

The choices were interesting, If my ears are not fooling me they took a lot of musicians to voice the new characters.

I'm pretty sure princess Skystar is voiced by Beatrice Egli (famous German singer) and Tempest is voiced by Maite Kelly (If Kelly family rings a bell)

I personally think she was a bad choice for that, she just doesn't sound very evil.