Winter Shimmer

What about your movie theatre experience

Heya :) 

I wanna collect your experiences about the one or more times you saw the movie in theatre. 

About mine : was past sunday, 11 am. 

Not much ppl, only kids with parents (I was the only bro). 

They looked at me like -> wtf. 

Had a very good time tho. 

What about you ? :) 

Winter Shimmer. 

• Like 2

I saw it on 10/17 in the afternoon, and I was...

But I guess that was to be expected, since I would wager that any "bro's" would have already seen the movie at that point.

But I suppose it did feel a bit nice, in a way. It kinda felt like my own little private screening. :HappyPinkie:

• Like 1

First experience was in our local theater.  It's very small and it was a week past the debut so the turnout wasn't very large.  The hostess seemed happy enough to sell me a ticket and nobody looked at me funny.  The audience was nearly all kids and their parents.  I was one of the only single adults there.  Thankfully the kids were quiet and I was able to enjoy the movie with no distractions.  Didn't get any free swag but I wasn't expecting it considering the rinky-dink nature of our theater.

Second experience was in another town and a much larger and nicer theater.  Two weeks after the debut now so the crowd as about the same size and consistency as my first viewing.  Still no good swag to be had, no cosplayers or even anyone wearing pony merch to be seen.  Didn't make any new contacts but didn't get any guff about being a Brony either.  So the experience was slightly better due to the nicer accommodations but, having seen the movie already, it didn't have as much of an impact.

• Like 2

The first was last October 8th, no brony, I was alone, only kids and their parents... emote.RDeeeh.png

I thought that the movie would be annoying because kids made a lot of noises during ads, but finally, they all being quiet, and it was a very nice moment.

Second, I watched it last Monday, exactly the same. And again last Saturday. It seems that kids really enjoy the movie, and parents too.

Just, they don't laugh very much during Pinkie moments.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Winter Shimmer said:

Heya :) 

I wanna collect your experiences about the one or more times you saw the movie in theatre. 

About mine : was past sunday, 11 am. 

Not much ppl, only kids with parents (I was the only bro). 

They looked at me like -> wtf. 

Had a very good time tho. 

What about you ? :) 

Winter Shimmer. 

Pretty much the same, although the only reason I didn't get thrown out of the theater is because I brought my studio into the question by claiming to be doing an independent review of the movie...

I haven't seen the MLP movie in theaters yet, so I'm just going to tell you that when my family watched the lego ninjago movie, we were the only ones in the theater:hurrr:

• Like 1

3 times as of today. All my trips were fine, no funny looks or anything. A mixed bag of kids an adults, not much in the way of bronies. I loved how every time I went, the parents/adults were getting into the movie too (the whole audience would inhale when Twilight has her break down). I'm the only one each time to sit through all the credits and if you do, there's something cute with Celestia at the end :approve:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mystic Thunder said:

Damn it, now I have to go watch it again... FML

It's a very short little thing, see the movie if you want to see the movie :)

• Like 1

I saw the film three days in a row during its opening weekend, so I'll outline each viewing as short and sweet as I can without being too vague. No promises though.

First viewing was the night of the Thursday premiere. Not many people were in the theater besides me, most were parents with their daughters and only one group of two bronies (may have been another group of two female bronies, but don't recall 100%). Saw the movie the first time and was extremely let down by the super fast pacing, lack of character development, and (what I perceived at the time as) OOC moments. Got kind of depressed about how I felt about the movie given all the hype preceding it.

The next night, I saw it again with my older brother, his wife, her little brother and sister, and a long-time friend. Out of the entire group, only I and my little brother and sister-in-law were fans of the show (me the biggest of the three). My sister-in-law was neutral on the show, my brother "tried" it (never with a full episode mind you) and deemed it not for him, and our friend enjoyed what he'd seen of the show, but never made a point to watch the entire series.

The theater was packed (much to my brother's surprise) mostly with younger children and their parents leading to some commentary throughout the viewing (including clarification by half of the audience that it was indeed Applejack's hat floating down the river in case anyone forgot that she's the only one who wore a friggin' hat).

After the second viewing, I'm glad to say, I enjoyed much more than the first and picked up on a couple of things that I missed that justified the OOC moments I had a problem with the first time. Pacing and character development still needed work, but I liked it overall which made me very happy as I wanted to like this movie given my status as a fan and the quality of the show. The opinions of the rest of the group mirrored most of the fan/critic consensus: if you're a fan of the show, you'll like the movie; if you're not, your opinion varies. Brother and sister-in-law thought it was okay (with brother being the more critical of the two), everyone else liked it overall.

My third viewing took place the next night with a brony meetup group later in the night. The theater was taken up mostly by said meetup group with about 30 people, only one or two small couples otherwise. As a result, the viewing was treated similar to a fan viewing with some cheers, laughs, and clapping spread throughout the movie (though not often enough to cause any problems). I enjoyed my 3rd viewing as much as the 2nd with my overall opinion intact (good for fans, but won't add to the fan count and could've benefitted from 10-20 extra minutes, but decent overall; 7/10) and the meetup itself and its aftermath were also a ton of fun as well.

The irony in all of this was that I made it a point for me to be alone during my first viewing to give myself the best chance to enjoy it (thought my brother's opinion would ruin the experience) only to enjoy it more with the two groups than by myself, even when one of the groups had people who weren't as big of fans of the show as I was. I guess friendship really is magic...

• Like 2

I had a very good experience, the first time I watched it was on premier day, which means I was able to watch it even before it aired in the USA.

I live in Germany our movies enter the cinema always on Thursdays, which was October 5th. 

The ticket seller was definitely not prepared, well on his defense he was in the late 40's and has probably never seen a brony before.

His "You-reaaaaally-want-a-ticket-for-that-movie" face was priceless. I was a little surprised that the movie wasn't playing at the smallest room

in the cinema, didn't expected that. 

I took a seat in the back row, since I didn't want to weird out the whole normal audience. But I can also report something strange happening during 

the view, it appears that giving it a "G" rating (yes in Germany the movie is rated "G", even Cars 3 had a PG rating) was a bad call.

Some of the younger kids were leaving the cinema with their parents shortly after the appearance of Tempest Shadow. 

Later I came to know that this happened in a lot of cinemas, it even made it to the news because of that.

But me and most of the audience liked the movie a lot and now I'm hoping the Blu-Ray is released fast.

Overall it was a good experience I was expecting a medicore movie and got a roller coaster of feelings, even had tears in my

eyes at some point (those who saw it probably know when, I don't want to spoiler)  

• Like 2

Aw :c

Thanks for that.

In my town, there is vending machines where your can buy your tickets (hopefully, then I can avoid the "ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO SEE THAT OMG BUT NO OMAGAD NOPE")

12 hours ago, FastRiff said:

I had a very good experience, the first time I watched it was on premier day, which means I was able to watch it even before it aired in the USA.

I live in Germany our movies enter the cinema always on Thursdays, which was October 5th. 

The ticket seller was definitely not prepared, well on his defense he was in the late 40's and has probably never seen a brony before.

His "You-reaaaaally-want-a-ticket-for-that-movie" face was priceless. I was a little surprised that the movie wasn't playing at the smallest room

in the cinema, didn't expected that. 

I took a seat in the back row, since I didn't want to weird out the whole normal audience. But I can also report something strange happening during 

the view, it appears that giving it a "G" rating (yes in Germany the movie is rated "G", even Cars 3 had a PG rating) was a bad call.

Some of the younger kids were leaving the cinema with their parents shortly after the appearance of Tempest Shadow. 

Later I came to know that this happened in a lot of cinemas, it even made it to the news because of that.

But me and most of the audience liked the movie a lot and now I'm hoping the Blu-Ray is released fast.

Overall it was a good experience I was expecting a medicore movie and got a roller coaster of feelings, even had tears in my

eyes at some point (those who saw it probably know when, I don't want to spoiler)  

I'm surprised that parents would decide to walk out with their kids for this movie, regardless of the country it's airing in. Especially that early into the movie. If anything, I'd say the most PG worthy moment of the movie was

the ending where the Storm King turns to stone and shatters on the floor

Everything else seemed rather tame for a PG rating, at least to me. But I'm not a part of the MPAA, so what do I know...

In the case of the Blu-Ray release, I've heard that it'll release in 2018 here in the states so I think it's safe to assume it'll release worldwide around the same time. If other countries are anything like the states, it should release around January or February given that most movies release about 3 months after they premiere in theaters from what I've seen.

4 minutes ago, PixelGrip94 said:

Especially that early into the movie. If anything, I'd say the most PG worthy moment of the movie was

Reveal hidden contents

the ending where the Storm King turns to stone and shatters on the floor

Everything else seemed rather tame for a PG rating, at least to me. But I'm not a part of the MPAA, so what do I know...

You wanna know what's REALLY fucked up about that scene? He doesn't die from that; he's still very much alive, just petrified and in several pieces...

15 hours ago, Mystic Thunder said:

You wanna know what's REALLY fucked up about that scene? He doesn't die from that; he's still very much alive, just petrified and in several pieces...

Yeah, I remember seeing that I'm the credits. He's probably screaming internally right now. Also makes me wonder what Celestia, Luna, and Cadance were thinking while in stone.

Celestia: "-sigh- Guess we gotta rely on Twilight...again. Oh well, I'm sure she'll get the job done. She always does."

Luna: "First stuck in the moon for a thousand years, now this. Can't a princess of the night catch a break?"

Cadance: "Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to leave Shining Armor at home. Then again, not sure what he could've done. He's not much better than the guards he captains anyway."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, PixelGrip94 said:

Yeah, I remember seeing that I'm the credits. He's probably screaming internally right now. Also makes me wonder what Celestia, Luna, and Cadance were thinking while in stone.

Celestia: "-sigh- Guess we gotta rely on Twilight...again. Oh well, I'm sure she'll get the job done. She always does."

Luna: "First stuck in the moon for a thousand years, now this. Can't a princess of the night catch a break?"

Cadance: "Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to leave Shining Armor at home. Then again, not sure what he could've done. He's not much better than the guards he captains anyway."

Also Celestia: "-sigh- I should really check in on how Twilight's doing one of these days; seeing us get caught up in all this nonsense, then having to sort it out herself can't be good for her psyche"

Also Luna: *Raging internally at the futility of her situation... again. Barely keeping NMM locked down in the process*

Also Cadance: "Once this is over with, I'm going hug Shining and Twilight, then never let them go." *Thinks about Twilight a little more* "Hmm... at this rate, even if she finds her special somepony, she'll probably never think she's able to settle down. I should do something to make sure that doesn't happen..."

• Like 1

I saw it on the first day it came out in my town (in England) and it was just after 4p.m. My cinema was still under construction but was still showing movies. I paid for my ticket and got a student discount which is always cool. I was told to go straight in however, I walked into the end of the movie from the previous screening. No one was watching it so I found that a little scary. I went in a little later and thought I was going to be alone for the entire screening but as it was just about to start, a father and daughter and a family walked in. Both parties were completely oblivious to the fact that I was sitting in the back row for the entire movie. I was literally the only Brony there. On the whole, my viewing experience was pretty good, but the three little kids kept standing up throughout the entire film. I was the only one left during the end credits.

• Like 2

I saw an advanced screening with my girlfriend and her sister at about 7 PM on the 5th. There were a couple of families with kids, one lonely looking dude, and a trio of young adults that cosplayed (specifically as Twilight, Fluttershy, and I think Calamity from Fallout Equestria). Not a huge turnout, but oh well. I had a good time.

I originally wasn't going to go to the movie, but I ended up getting a seasonal job that was right across the street from the theater. Therefore, I had no excuse not to go see the movie.

I decided to go on October 16th after work. I had planned to go to the 11:30 AM showing, but my boss kept me just a little too long, and I got out of work at 11:45. It was about 12:00 by the time I got to the theater, and the next showing wasn't until 1:50 PM. Since I was already there, I went ahead and bought a ticket for the 1:50 showing. Luckily, my theater has self-service ticket booths outside, so I didn't have to embarrass myself by asking for a "My Little Pony" ticket.

The theater I went to is inside a big indoor shopping mall, so I passed the time by walking around inside and looking around. I ended up going into Gamestop, and I bought a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles X for Wii U. After that, I went to the food court, sat in a chair, and twiddled my thumbs until it was time for the movie.

The guy who took my ticket didn't say anything or give me any weird looks. He just gave me the stub and directed me to the room where the movie was going to play. I entered the room and sat in my seat. I was the only one in the theater at first, but soon, people started to come in. Most of them were families with little girls, and one of those families ended up sitting down right next to me. I was the only lone male adult there, so that made me feel extremely uncomfortable. After a few minutes, I moved to the back where I wouldn't be so plainly visible. Unfortunately, the seat I sat in ended up being someone else's assigned seat. So I had to move again.

But after that, the movie went off without a hitch. I stayed until the end of the credits, so I saw that little scene with Celestia at the very end. Only me and the cleaning guy were left in the theater by then.

Despite a few minor awkward moments, I had a good time. It reminded me of when my grandparents would take me and my sisters to see Disney movies during the nineties.

Also, I never did bother to tell my family that I went to the theater to see the MLP movie. As far as they know, I just had a really long shift at work.

• Like 1

Just went for the 4th (and final) time. Surprised that there were still plenty of people there who wanted to see it. I went with a good buddy of mine (Twilight is his fav) and he enjoyed it very much as well. We both agreed that we would buy whatever super collectors edition version of the film that comes out.

Going to MLP 4 times ties my other highest, Lord of the Rings. It's funny just how much this movie grew on me.

• Like 1

Aaalrighty. 'rubs his hooves' Let's get started, shall we?

I initially intended to go see it with a group. There was supposed to be a fan meetup for such occasion. Unfortunately, the whole organization part felt flat because it took forever for the one who was in charge (sort of) to get back to all those who wanted this meetup to happen. Even when the final time and place were agreed upon, we forgot to mention how would we recognize one another. When I quickly wrote that in Messenger there was ultimately no response, and I ended up going by myself. 1295602__safe_artist-colon-midori-dash-n

Things got a bit interesting at my local theater. I wanted to use my AMC rewards to buy a ticket, but for some technical reason the system refused to charge my account for more than $5 despite such limitation never being a thing, according to staff. As result...I got a free ticket as an apology for inconvenience 1295816__safe_artist-colon-midori-dash-n

And yes, I went to see it on the premiere date. I got the ticket 1 hour before it began 1295738__safe_artist-colon-midori-dash-n

DMnVz_NWAAA87Za.jpg:large

I grabbed me a big soda and filled my special pony cup with it 1295738__safe_artist-colon-midori-dash-n 1295738__safe_artist-colon-midori-dash-n

IMG_1595.jpg

And I wasn't really alone there.

IMG_1594.jpg

There were a plenty of others who came to see it. A lot of fillies and colts too. I gonna be honest, there were times when I failed miserably trying to remain calm at certain moments. I never gave anypony a reason to call in security or anything though.

On my way out I placed a hoofful of duplicate Funko mini figures here and there in the theater as some kind of a sign that I saw the Movie here 1295608__safe_artist-colon-midori-dash-n

IMG_1596.jpg

• Like 1

@Snide Ways Thankies!

More like attempt to spice up what could be just another visit to a movie theater. But since it's ponies, I wanted to be a very special one. Such a pity I ended up going alone :'(

• Like 1