Some would argue things like the CMC getting their Cutie Marks, Rarity expanding her business, RD becoming a wonderbolt, went on longer than they should have, though the former two ended up having satisfying climaxes to their character arcs. I'd agree though that instances like Glimmerdemption and Twilicorn were rushed, though those were do to odd circumstances(In Twilicorn's case it was a combination of MMC being short and the writers not anticipating the show lasting past S3, and in Starlight's case, them not knowing what to do with her in S6), but as time went on they eventually got those things to work. By the end of it all it's clear they wanted most of these to work. Newbie Dash is probably the only instance of the writers not giving a shit

I think the pacing is the same, but the ideas are so elaborate these days they practically deserve a 3 parter. I think that might help with some of the epic stories they are working on.

• Like 1

Yes. Obviously.

They do things way too quickly when it comes to some of the things they do in this show/series.

The most obvious example are these so-called 'redemption's' that, to me anyway, aren't 'redemption's' at all.

Which may explain another problem I have with the show/series currently.

The whole last episode of season 3 (which lead to Twilight becoming a princess, which was CERTAINLY a big moment) was totally rushed. Suddenly there was the problem with the cutie marks, how that happened was explained unspectacular with a flashback, then there have been A LOT of songs, then Twilight is SOMEWHERE with Celestia, then Twilight becomes a princess and then is a big celebration at the end. They crammed way too much into just one episode with actually zero dramatic or emotional bond or build up to the important moments and big finale. I know not everyone liked it when Twilight became a princess but in my opinion they should have expanded all the things that happened and all the songs upon 2 episodes. In my opinion, they should have cut out the episode with Discords reform completly and made one episode that focuses more on the cutie mark problem and see the ponies struggle with that more (just as one example).

On 11/14/2017 at 1:39 PM, leonbrony17 said:

The whole last episode of season 3 (which lead to Twilight becoming a princess, which was CERTAINLY a big moment) was totally rushed. Suddenly there was the problem with the cutie marks, how that happened was explained unspectacular with a flashback, then there have been A LOT of songs, then Twilight is SOMEWHERE with Celestia, then Twilight becomes a princess and then is a big celebration at the end. They crammed way too much into just one episode with actually zero dramatic or emotional bond or build up to the important moments and big finale. I know not everyone liked it when Twilight became a princess but in my opinion they should have expanded all the things that happened and all the songs upon 2 episodes. In my opinion, they should have cut out the episode with Discords reform completly and made one episode that focuses more on the cutie mark problem and see the ponies struggle with that more (just as one example).

Yeah. Magical Mystery Cure could've been a three-parter easily. I almost got whiplash from how fast and jerky that episode handled things.

• Like 2

Speaking as a big defender of Magical Mystery Cure, even I have to admit that the pacing was too fast and rushed. But I do think this flaw is definitely overplayed a bit. Yes, it’s fast. But not so fast that I didn’t feel any of the emotions. I still think it’s one of the most emotionally compelling episodes of the show. :) 

Some of these things you mention, like the Elements of Harmony, don't really mean all that much in the grand scheme of things. The Rainbow Power is, both metaphorically and effectively, identical to the Elements of Harmony, and retiring both of those powers ultimately allowed the show to move on to more nuanced solutions in its two-parters. I may not like "Shadow Play," but otherwise, this newfound focus on talking out problems has been a total positive development in my mind. 

Stuff like the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Rarity's boutique chain, and Rainbow becoming a Wonderbolt were all relatively late developments which had been slowly built towards for some time now. "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" is incredibly overstuffed, but season 5 had been hinting towards it for a while, and the Crusaders had been growing out of their "Crusading" phase since season 3 at least. Rarity has had increasing contacts with Canterlot over the years, and the same is true of Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts. I think the time was right for those cases. 

The problem with Flurry Heart is that Cadance and Shining Armour didn't get enough satisfying development as characters before this massive handicap was given to them. I still think it's possible that both of them could get more episodes where they're not stuck taking care of the demon child, but that's not something which has happened yet. If they do get such appearances, then that would deal with my only problem with Flurry. 

With Starlight, it's probably true that she was forgiven too quickly, which has led to many of the grating inconsistencies with her redemption arc. But mostly I just don't think the writers have a strong sense for what they want to do with her yet. Season 6 sort of floundered around her insecurities and flaws, whereas season 7 seemed to just inject her into every plot in which she would fit, regardless of what it would mean for her as a character. I honestly think that she would be much less controversial if she was simply written better across those two seasons, and I say that as someone who mostly liked her in season 6. And I have similar feelings about Starswirl: It's not that his appearance didn't have enough buildup, because the various mentions of the Pillars throughout the season opened the possibility, but that the show didn't do anything interesting with him. He was just someone else who needed to be taught friendship, so why care?

And the way Twilicorn was handled, the time would never have been right. A bit more buildup would have made it seem less dismissive and random, but it would still be one character in an ensemble-focused show being given all the credit, it would still have a bunch of deterministic "destiny" nonsense, and the cutie mark swapping would still be absolute nonsense. At least longer buildup could have convinced me that being a princess was something which she actually wanted, which I'm not sure was ever clear before the episode aired. But "Magical Mystery Cure" isn't bad because it's rushed, it's bad because it's built on fundamentally terrible ideas. 

• Like 1