Sign in to follow this  
M2 Ball

Periodicals

Does anyone around here read any particular newspapers, magazines, etc.?

I have subscriptions to the following:

The Economist 

Financial Times

Foreign Affairs

Scientific American

I used to subscribe to Scientific American but the shift in contents and format a few years ago left me feeling like my subscription was a waste. The magazine used to be just shy of peer-reviewed journals in terms of the depth and breadth, but much more accessible than the real journals. They used to have fewer staff and freelance writers, with more content written by practicing researchers. It's not that I think the stuff in it these day is wrong, or fluffy. It's just not scratching the itch like it used to.
Right now the only real periodical I get is the quarterly magazine from NANFA, American Currents. It's not a thick volume by any means but it does help keep me up to date on things like conservation efforts and gives me a better picture of fish management around the country. Not to mention all the articles about captive care and husbandry for native fish!

12 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

I used to subscribe to Scientific American but the shift in contents and format a few years ago left me feeling like my subscription was a waste. The magazine used to be just shy of peer-reviewed journals in terms of the depth and breadth, but much more accessible than the real journals. They used to have fewer staff and freelance writers, with more content written by practicing researchers. It's not that I think the stuff in it these day is wrong, or fluffy. It's just not scratching the itch like it used to.
Right now the only real periodical I get is the quarterly magazine from NANFA, American Currents. It's not a thick volume by any means but it does help keep me up to date on things like conservation efforts and gives me a better picture of fish management around the country. Not to mention all the articles about captive care and husbandry for native fish!

Scientific American is definitely generic at best, but I am spread too thinly for a scientific weekly like Nature. Scientific American also isn’t without its flaws (the October 2017 issue carried a gun violence article full of cherry-picked statistics and outright lies; the author’s excessive bias isn’t fitting of a serious periodical, and I have literally seen more sophisticated arguments in favor of stringent gun control on Internet forums).

I read my news online, but I have subscriptions  to a couple of magazines you have most likely never even heard of.

Mikrobitti (a computer magazine)

Kopteri (a motorcycle magazine. Mainly choppers, also other modified motorcycles)

My brother let's me read his "Tiede" which, I guess, is kind of the Finnish version of Science magazine. Every time I get my hands on the latest issue I read it from cover to cover in one go. Oh, and I also get to read his V8 magazines. As the name implies it's focused on American cars.

I wish there was a greater selection of foreign magazines at the local newsstands. Those few we have are either over-priced or non-interesting.:applebelch: