Vinny Schway

Legends of Equestria?

I missed the buzz for this game while I was away from the fandom, though it seems the buzz has already died down and I reckon it might be for a reason.

But I was curious about everyone's experiences and opinions (if any) on LoE because I was thinking of checking it out. I feel it's a novel concept but it looks to have some glaring flaws from what I've looked up.

I mean, it is a fan-made MMORPG, so there are bound to be at least a few.

Anyone like it? Hate it? I'd very much like your input!

And in case this isn't your type of thread, well... ummm... here's this sweet animation for your trouble.

I tried it during a few open-access weekends. It was mostly a glorified 3D chat room back then with some meme-level boundary breaking capabilities.

695331__safe_legends+of+equestria.png

695336__safe_legends+of+equestria.png

After they started trying to add quests and stuff, even during those days they had basic quests but they were pretty broken. But it's a fan-made game made by amateurs so it's pretty hit and miss all together.

Once EquiDev gets back to it, Horse Game may be the superior pony game. In so far it's mostly single player but I think there's some conjecture it could have been, or may be multi-player in the future. So right now it's hammering out some of the actual game features if that's the case, before making a stab at the network. If that's the case.

8 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

I tried it during a few open-access weekends. It was mostly a glorified 3D chat room back then with some meme-level boundary breaking capabilities.

695331__safe_legends+of+equestria.png

695336__safe_legends+of+equestria.png

After they started trying to add quests and stuff, even during those days they had basic quests but they were pretty broken. But it's a fan-made game made by amateurs so it's pretty hit and miss all together.

Once EquiDev gets back to it, Horse Game may be the superior pony game. In so far it's mostly single player but I think there's some conjecture it could have been, or may be multi-player in the future. So right now it's hammering out some of the actual game features if that's the case, before making a stab at the network. If that's the case.

Goodness gracious. Hopefully they're still keeping tabs on the game so nothing like that still happens.

But yeah, I guess you can't really expect a triple A-quality game made by fans. A shame because it looked pretty appealing on the surface. To me, at least.

I've never heard of Horse Game, had to look it up.

Have you checked that one out? Would you currently recommend it over LoE?

12 minutes ago, Vinny Schway said:

Goodness gracious. Hopefully they're still keeping tabs on the game so nothing like that still happens.

But yeah, I guess you can't really expect a triple A-quality game made by fans. A shame because it looked pretty appealing on the surface. To me, at least.

I've never heard of Horse Game, had to look it up.

Have you checked that one out? Would you currently recommend it over LoE?

I think the devs are still keeping tabs on it. There was a whole situation a while back where some user info may have leaked and they were pouncing on that. But not being within the community any more I couldn't tell you what they are,  or are not doing.

And I haven't played Horse Game, yet. The most I've heard about it was from CaptainHoers when he did a video essay about pone fan-games and comparing the three current major one (Ambient.White, Fallout Equestria/Ashes of Equestria, Horse Game). I've played the demos for Ashes and Ambient.

2 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

I think the devs are still keeping tabs on it. There was a whole situation a while back where some user info may have leaked and they were pouncing on that. But not being within the community any more I couldn't tell you what they are,  or are not doing.

And I haven't played Horse Game, yet. The most I've heard about it was from CaptainHoers when he did a video essay about pone fan-games and comparing the three current major one (Ambient.White, Fallout Equestria/Ashes of Equestria, Horse Game). I've played the demos for Ashes and Ambient.

Yeesh, that's also worrying. Glad I haven't signed up for it yet.

I'll probably occasionally keep tabs on it on the off chance they do eventually have their game more secured.

But Ambient.White looks pretty dope. Might just check out the rest of them too. I've been itching for an RPG experience but I can settle for demos.

Just now, Vinny Schway said:

Yeesh, that's also worrying. Glad I haven't signed up for it yet.

I'll probably occasionally keep tabs on it on the off chance they do eventually have their game more secured.

But Ambient.White looks pretty dope. Might just check out the rest of them too. I've been itching for an RPG experience but I can settle for demos.

Ambient.White isn't much of an RPG. The demo they released last was more of a quasi-puzzle and broken combat game.

The issue with Ambient, and by extension FoE/Ashes of Equestria is that they're both overly ambitious compared to something like Horse Game, which uses a comparatively simple engine (I think) and is artistically designed to more match pony in a 3D space and comparatively more simple compared to Ambient's insane magic system, or Ashes trying to replicate the sort of scale of Bethesda's Fallout games on a small team of mostly volunteer amateurs.

18 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

Ambient.White isn't much of an RPG. The demo they released last was more of a quasi-puzzle and broken combat game.

The issue with Ambient, and by extension FoE/Ashes of Equestria is that they're both overly ambitious compared to something like Horse Game, which uses a comparatively simple engine (I think) and is artistically designed to more match pony in a 3D space and comparatively more simple compared to Ambient's insane magic system, or Ashes trying to replicate the sort of scale of Bethesda's Fallout games on a small team of mostly volunteer amateurs.

*non-RPG demos

I shoulda been more specific.

But that's interesting. Ambitiously implemented mechanics comes with major oversights, I guess.

I might just check out all of those games' gameplay on YouTube instead before I needlessly fill up my storage.

Why can't we just have a game where all of our OC's can efficiently explore all of Equestria?! :applejargh:

Just now, Vinny Schway said:

*non-RPG demos

I shoulda been more specific.

But that's interesting. Ambitiously implemented mechanics comes with major oversights, I guess.

I might just check out all of those games' gameplay on YouTube instead before I needlessly fill up my storage.

Why can't we just have a game where all of our OC's can efficiently explore all of Equestria?! :applejargh:

Ambient has the double issue going for it that it asks you set up a basic account on the assumption that the money you collect in the demo will carry over into the full game.

8 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

Ambient has the double issue going for it that it asks you set up a basic account on the assumption that the money you collect in the demo will carry over into the full game.

Interesting, but I guess they're at least making more progress than Equidev is with Horse Game.

Too bad, because it seems like all of these are built on good intentions. Gotta work with what you've got, eh?

1 minute ago, Vinny Schway said:

Interesting, but I guess they're at least making more progress than Equidev is with Horse Game.

Too bad, because it seems like all of these are built on good intentions. Gotta work with what you've got, eh?

In EquiDev's defense he's sort of has a demo that acts like a full game, where as the others have had mostly conceptual releases put out. And that's him being a... Some number team? Their latest update to the game though was releasing a demo clip of him showing off floating platforms or something. Or as CaptainHoers uploaded:

And since I paused Stranger Things for that, I'll post his Horse Games essay:

21 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

In EquiDev's defense he's sort of has a demo that acts like a full game, where as the others have had mostly conceptual releases put out. And that's him being a... Some number team? Their latest update to the game though was releasing a demo clip of him showing off floating platforms or something. Or as CaptainHoers uploaded:

And since I paused Stranger Things for that, I'll post his Horse Games essay:

"nude ideas" :why:

Dude had the benefit of a hands-on experience while I nearly got tricked by Ambient's presentation.

It's been an interesting watch so far. I'm around 7 minutes in and I'm gonna finish it before I turn in for the night.

48 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

I had slight issues with the video's editing, but the content itself was concise and entertaining. It answered any lingering questions I had about the games and I'm hoping Equidev comes back in a big way. I can see how much potential Horse Game has compared to the other two.

I appreciate you sharing it and your input! :approve:

• Thanks 1