M2 Ball

Did you buy anything recently?

Oh and a rake too the day after that pic/yesterday because I needed a rake, since I had no rake and the yard needed a good spring-time raking.

new mouse setup

EagleTek LED mouse for $15 and a $19 Zelda II mousepad from Etsy. (A HUGE upgrade from just using my laptop's crappy trackpad.)

30412304_1342992412511983_39344614106932

I bought some new tires for my car.  Such purchases are expensive, but a set of tires will last me five years or so.

I ordered a swimsuit from an online store a couple of days ago. So far I have zero idea how the size is going to be so I'll see when it arrives - at least returning a product is free, just in case.

My last few purchases have been food and bus fare. Can't say I can afford much else these days.

I did buy some supplies last pay cheque to make myself some jewelry though

On 9/29/2018 at 4:19 PM, PeeWeePhoenix said:

20170809_165234.jpg

I mean if you're gonna go retro and lo-fi, might as well go all out?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobel laureate Leon Lederman died recently. He was 96 years old and suffered dimentia for a blissfully short 6 of those final years. He had a very good run. In what should be considered a mark of shame for our country, he actually had to sell his Nobel medal to cover the medical costs associated with his final years of care.

About 20 years ago I came out of the county library with a copy of his first pop-science book, The God Particle. Even though the state of science has moved way beyond what our frontiers were in 1993, I still recommend it for introducing basic science concepts and the great anecdotes about other famous physicists. It's an easy and engaging read. This was really the first book that I could credit with getting me hooked on science itself, a precursor to my future consumption of the works of Sagan, Hawking, Dawkins, and Zimmer. Most physicists hate the title, though.
20 years after that book was published, the infamous "god particle," the Higgs Boson, was finally confirmed in 2012-2013. Lederman co-authored a follow-up called Beyond the God Particle to explain the experiment and what it means for physics going forward.

In honor of Dr. Lederman's passing, I finally bought copies of both volumes.

I also bought a few Lego sets that are outside my traditional comfort zone, and glad to have done so!

This treehouse in the Lego Friends line is pretty featureful and expansive, well worth the price if you can get it on sale.
My latest Lego buy, though, is this set from the Elves line. I can't say enough good things about this one: it's got a building, a substantial and well-designed dragon, plenty of scenery, and a few gimmicks. The whole "floating house in the clouds" conceit is well-executed. It's actually got me hooked on the entire Elves line, and I'll be expanding my collection going forward.

Both of them feature color palettes that don't show up often in the more mainstream Lego sets: more muted earth tones and lighter shades of green, purple, and sky blues. They also feature lots of foliage and a few stylized critters that would feel right at home with your MLP blind bag figurines (hint hint). They also both come with Lego "mini dolls," which are designed to be more tween-friendly than the classic minifigs. However, since the sets are scaled to these slightly taller figures they are even larger and more expansive if you choose to populate them with minifigs instead.

Both the Friends and the Elves lines are also a little pricier on a per-brick basis than the mainstream sets, but you can usually find them on sale for a substantial bargain.

A more mainstream Lego purchase would be this 3-in-1 Creator Treehouse set. I bought two but have only built one of them, into the main project featured on the front cover. It's also a nice tree house, though a bit more cramped than the Friends. Every set in the model guides has a "pirate-themed kids' playground" feel to it.

On the whole I find myself gravitating more towards Lego sets with scenery than I used to. Maybe I should just order a bunch of bricks in bulk and build up a general 'scape to set models in... maybe one with a FiM-friendly color palette...

I recently purchased some clothing, ammunition (9X19mm and .22LR), cat food, and a replacement Blu-Ray drive for my aging PlayStation 3.

borderlands the handsome collection (ps4)

zombie hoard structure deck (yugioh)

a blu ray copy of the greatest showman

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (3ds)

legendary hero decks (yugioh)