M2 Ball

Did you buy anything recently?

A Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM) to use as a home media server project. Just want to try throwing some movies and music onto some old SD cards and setting up a server for the first time. Because the Pi 4 puts out significantly more heat and could potentially throttle a lot faster under load, I also bought a nifty alumin(i)um heatsink case for passive cooling, no fan required.

Gonna use some old Pi 3 boards as media center boxes for dumb TVs.

Also, I bought a Pi Zero W (with headers pre-soldered because fyay soldering headers) and a little stereo amp/DAC daughterboard. Hope to combine these and some salvaged speakers from an old, nonfunctional Sony CD player to make a networked music player for my craft room.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:40 PM, ABronyAccount said:

A Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM) to use as a home media server project. Just want to try throwing some movies and music onto some old SD cards and setting up a server for the first time. Because the Pi 4 puts out significantly more heat and could potentially throttle a lot faster under load, I also bought a nifty alumin(i)um heatsink case for passive cooling, no fan required.

Gonna use some old Pi 3 boards as media center boxes for dumb TVs.

Also, I bought a Pi Zero W (with headers pre-soldered because fyay soldering headers) and a little stereo amp/DAC daughterboard. Hope to combine these and some salvaged speakers from an old, nonfunctional Sony CD player to make a networked music player for my craft room.

Well the server's done. Yay! Now to work on my video player and possibly music player projects.

Also bought recently:

The Death of Superman (2018) and Reign of the Supermen (2019). These hewed pretty close to the original storyline from the early 90s, with only a few minor continuity updates for the most part, except for the mechanism behind the cybernetic Superman's resurrection. That was changed to fit this into the New DCAU. Overall, it probably helped streamline things a bit. The first movie was definitely a better story, probably since it didn't diverge so much from the older comics.

500GB SATA SSD and 8GB DDR3L for an old laptop so I wouldn't feel like garbage handing it off to someone else. "Old" is one thing, "Old, under-specced, AND running an HDD" is something else entirely. Besides, the drive had already given me trouble and borked Windows into an unrecoverable state at least once, it's probably luck that had me limping along to pull data off it.

A new laptop with a Ryzen 4700U! And some RAM and SSD upgrades for that. Never get those from the manufacturer, they jack the prices waaaaaaaaaay up. Also got a nice bluetooth mousy that's actually blue! And a laptop dissecting kit to install those upgrades. Which is dumb, since this is considered a "user serviceable" device, but the back panel design is anti-user friendly. Probably going to be my last major purchase for a while, though. Can't afford to get spendy... In These Difficult TimesTM.

TNP-B periscope for T-54/T-55 main battle tank. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. It was just too cool not to buy. I'm guessing someone salvaged it when Finnish Defence Forces were upgrading their equipment years ago.

On 6/14/2020 at 2:30 AM, Fintale said:

Today I found a "new" front seat and "new" throttle body  for my daily driver 1988 Chevy Caprice. I swapped the driver's seat and now both of my shoulders hit the back rest when I'm driving. :happybonbon: The old seat turned out to be a real safety hazard. It had cracks all over the metal frame. I can't believe about ninjamerchstore.com that I've been driving it for 2 years like this. It was just awful. I'm planning to change the TBI unit when my summer vacation begins. The throttle body it has now has so much play that I had to install double springs to close the butterflies properly at idle.

share some pics of your changes, i would love to see them!

E-Circuit stylus.

For something dirt-cheap (i.e., I found it in my local Dollar Tree), it has a surprisingly nice grip and point.

I bought a 2013 Toyota Highlander for my winter commuting. :happybonbon:  It may be around eight years old and have 95,000 miles (152,000 kilometers) on it, but it rides smoothly and runs flawlessly. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Spikeywikey said:

DVD

Those movies are my entire childhood and DANG my childhood was cursed.

The latest thing I bought was the Pokemon TCG Elite Trainer Box for the Sword and Shield base set and I got a secrets rare Snorlax Vmax!

SWSH01-206) Snorlax VMAX RAINBOW RARE Pokemon Sword & Shield Card # 206 |  eBay

Received in today's mail: 

Festival of lights an adventure for Tails of Equestria by River Horse

"Step into Umberfoal, an ancient city beneath the Badlands in the southern reaches of Equestria. Umberfoal is sheltered from the world, but plagued by threats from deeper in the darkness – and it needs your help! Can you delve into deepest lakes and darkest cave to face the dangers within? Will you be able to help the ponies of Umberfoal hold their ancient and magical ritual, the Festival of Lights?"