8492nd

What if the movie is not great as I thought it would be?

I have to admit this.

I have not watched the movie yet. Why? Too busy with college work.

But my sem is done now. I've seen people criticize the movie for horrible pacing, no development of new characters, and the main 6 being OOC. Especially the part of Twi stealing the pearl. Now I feel like it's not worth watching at all. People told me that it was a doomed project from the start and that they were right all along and that we refused to listen to them and let our optimism get in the way of our thinking.

We've waited for years to get this movie, and now I feel that all that excitement has been flushed down the toilet. Whether I watch it or not, I still feel like it'll be a waste of my time like they say so.

So what to do? Heed everyone's warnings and avoid the movie and thus avoid more disappointment? Or defy everyone's warnings and go in and watch anyway and like it for what it is?

• Like 1

>Not going to experience the magic of best waifu.

It's been a few months. Someone's probably streaming it somewhere if not: soon. You have nothing to lose but an hour and a half of your time, plus some to read the comics to provide some well needed background context. It's not the worst thing out there; though it's not the best. It is as it is.

• Like 1

The film wasn't without its flaws, but I still found it worth watching.  In the final analysis, an episode of MLP: FiM is a 22 minute toy commercial, and the movie is roughly an hour-and-a-half toy commercial.  Consequently, I don't have sky-high expectations when watching things related to this franchise.  Did I see a one dimensional main villain?  Yes.  Did I see OOC moments?  Yes.  Did I see some inconsistencies and a moment that could arguably be classified as a Deus ex machina? Yes.  In spite of this, I did still find myself enjoying some aspects of the film.  The film does play on the ancient theme of characters having their flaws, albeit in a simplified and, at times, out of character manner.  But I reiterate that as an older "Millennnial" born in the mid-80's, I am not part of MLP: FiM's target demographic.  Needless to say, I wasn't surprised that the film didn't do as well as say, Homer did in his Odyssey in depicting the flaws of characters.

56 minutes ago, M2 Ball said:

The film wasn't without its flaws, but I still found it worth watching.  In the final analysis, an episode of MLP: FiM is a 22 minute toy commercial, and the movie is roughly an hour-and-a-half toy commercial.  Consequently, I don't have sky-high expectations when watching things related to this franchise.  Did I see a one dimensional main villain?  Yes.  Did I see OOC moments?  Yes.  Did I see some inconsistencies and a moment that could arguably be classified as a Deus ex machina? Yes.  In spite of this, I did still find myself enjoying some aspects of the film.  The film does play on the ancient theme of characters having their flaws, albeit in a simplified and, at times, out of character manner.  But I reiterate that as an older "Millennnial" born in the mid-80's, I am not part of MLP: FiM's target demographic.  Needless to say, I wasn't surprised that the film didn't do as well as say, Homer did in his Odyssey in depicting the flaws of characters.

So then what should it be?

It should be mandatory that MLP be on the same level as Shakespeare or the Greeks? So it can finally gain the respect it never had since 2010?

And my final resolution will be: don't watch at all. Why? because everyone says so.

Or my alternative is: I don't see flaws in the movie. Even if I did, I won't care. I'm watching anyway. Are you going to stop me?

18 hours ago, AaronMk said:

>Not going to experience the magic of best waifu.

It's been a few months. Someone's probably streaming it somewhere if not: soon. You have nothing to lose but an hour and a half of your time, plus some to read the comics to provide some well needed background context. It's not the worst thing out there; though it's not the best. It is as it is.

full.gif

It did feel like it was made solely with their main demographic in mind, but it's certainly not the worst movie of 2017 *cough* Justice League *cough*.

I'd also recommend checking out the prequel comics, should you choose to watch the film. It explains some of the events leading up to it.

But you don't have to watch it if you really don't want to since I don't see the showrunners implementing elements from the film into the show anytime soon.

I see it as another comics/show situation. They'll implement elements from the show into the comics, but not elements from the comics into the show.

The only way to find out if you'll like or not is to see it yourself.

If you like it and don't see a lot of flaws, that's fine. If you like it in spite of whatever flaws you find, that's also fine. If you dislike it even to a ridiculous degree, no one says you can't take that position, too.

Coming from someone who was really disappointed with the movie on the first watch, but learned to enjoy it for what it is with a second and third watch, I'd say to at least give it a chance. Yeah, the movie has flaws, but it's not the worst movie in the world or even the worst movie of the year and it still has good enough qualities that could balance out the flaws (depending on who watches the movie) and warrant giving it a fair chance.

Watch it for yourself and make your own judgement. I personally loved it but then, I don't listen to entitled man-child hipsters on what I should like.

On 12/13/2017 at 5:36 AM, Number? said:

The only way to find out if you'll like or not is to see it yourself.

If you like it and don't see a lot of flaws, that's fine. If you like it in spite of whatever flaws you find, that's also fine. If you dislike it even to a ridiculous degree, no one says you can't take that position, too.

And if I do like it and don't see flaws in it, am I going to be called willingly ignorant/blind for it?

1 hour ago, 8492nd said:

And if I do like it and don't see flaws in it, am I going to be called willingly ignorant/blind for it?

No because from what I've seen, the vast majority of the fandom loved the movie. Those who felt the movie was okay to terrible seem to be in the minority

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1