Sign in to follow this  
8492nd

What will you do then after the movies or shows have ended if you're the only one left?

I'm aware that many movies, shows and franchises have ended and that the still existing fandoms are weaker now. This also applies to to the ones still going on today.

My greatest personal fear is that one day, when all is said and done, you or I will be the very last human in existence to enjoy them. No more creativity coming from anywhere, no new developments from the official creators. Just you alone in the world.

What's to be done then? How is one supposed to move on knowing they're the last person on Earth to like them?

Take what content you can get, keep in touch with other diehard fans, and hope nostalgia brings it back into the mainstream in 20 years. If you have any artistic talent, sharpen it up and keep making things that at least capture the spirit of the thing you're passionate about, if not the copyright-protected bits. Fall in love, start a family, work a tolerable job to support them, retire, take up a hobby, die in a bed surrounded by loved ones. That's pretty much how everyone else handles it.

• Like 2

I often wonder why people in fandoms are so obsessed with thinking about "what's going to happen when no one likes the thing anymore". I really don't think that there's going to be a moment when there's just one person absolutely alone liking the show. And even if there was, it wouldn't come soon.

15 minutes ago, Friendship is Horses said:

If you have any artistic talent, sharpen it up and keep making things that at least capture the spirit of the thing you're passionate about, if not the copyright-protected bits.

Also this. It's always possible to start creating things by practicing a lot since that's also how the greatest artists have reached their levels. Since a fandom can be a really important thing in a person's life, spending time practicing in order to create something that one can feel good about would sound like a worthwhile thing to do.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jaspers said:

I often wonder why people in fandoms are so obsessed with thinking about "what's going to happen when no one likes the thing anymore". I really don't think that there's going to be a moment when there's just one person absolutely alone liking the show. And even if there was, it wouldn't come soon.

Also this. It's always possible to start creating things by practicing a lot since that's also how the greatest artists have reached their levels. Since a fandom can be a really important thing in a person's life, spending time practicing in order to create something that one can feel good about would sound like a worthwhile thing to do.

But then nowadays the fandoms can sometimes drive a person nuts. The person also suffers from being bound to the fandom and its ideas. What about that scenario?

7 hours ago, 8492nd said:

The person also suffers from being bound to the fandom and its ideas. What about that scenario?

Even if you are in the fandom of a show, it doesn't mean that you have to shackle yourself to all of the ideals the fandom believes in. For example, while I genuinely believe in the show's message to be kind to one another and the power friendship has in helping others achieve their goals and live happy lives (world-ending events notwithstanding), at the same time I don't whole-heartedly support the "love and tolerate" mantra that the fandom based itself on way back when (maybe not so much now, but I'm not 100% sure on that tbh). I don't think that certain actions and beliefs should be tolerated in the real world because those actions and beliefs can lead to things that are not easily fixed or forgotten in the eyes of those whom it affects. Nor do I agree with the show's belief that everyone is redeemable. In the real world, actions have consequences and it's important to not so easily forgive those who have caused real damage to others through their actions. That being said, when the show does it with certain characters, it doesn't stop me from enjoying the show because I acknowledge that it's just a television show and in the grand scheme of things, means absolutely nothing in making the world go round. There are many more important and real problems to be worried about than whether a show about small, magical, talking, pastel colored horses is being realistic or not.

In short, the world is not black and white and being part of a fandom shouldn't mean that you have to stand for everything the fandom believes in despite your personal feelings or experience in the matter, nor does disagreeing with certain ideals the fandom believes in automatically make you not a fan.

• Like 1