Sign in to follow this  
8492nd

You think you've been online for too long?

Recommended Posts

I have to admit.

I only found out about MLP online via a news article. But that's only because I didn't even know of its existence.

Anyways, I've already seen a lot of people online talking about the show this way or that, but I feel like my perception's been warped. I'm made to think that every person online IS the entire fandom. Now I realize I neglected the millions of other real life fans who probably don't use  the web so much for the show. They're probably not even as active and prefer to watch pony casually, relaxed, easy-like. Not create fan material or what not. I certainly never have.

This also applies to any other movie or show that one watches. I've seen many opinions but, yeah, I also have been made to think that the ones only online are already the entire fanbase of this or that.

I don't know. But then again, maybe I'm too focused on the people online.

And you? You have similar scenarios? Or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a large part of the fandom is on internet, but not posting ponies every seconds of their life. The non-connected fans of my little pony are probably tons of little girls watching the show at TV, who ignore that it's actually liked by grown men.

I take what the fandom and the show give me, it's all that matter for now. Appreciation is something personal, it does not depend on other people, so it's not this important finally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bakaarion said:

I think a large part of the fandom is on internet, but not posting ponies every seconds of their life. The non-connected fans of my little pony are probably tons of little girls watching the show at TV, who ignore that it's actually liked by grown men.

I take what the fandom and the show give me, it's all that matter for now. Appreciation is something personal, it does not depend on other people, so it's not this important finally.

Well ok but I want to actually disconnect from the internet when it comes to pony, and just watch the show. (took a toll on my emotional state) And from that second sentence, I just want to be able to ignore the fans' opinions and focus only on the show. I watched the first two seasons being completely unaware of the existence of others. Last thing I need is someone telling me I'm a serious problem deliberately ignoring others' reviews and critiques and enjoying the show for myself.

And to be honest, my head hurts when I ask this: is everyone online=entire fandom?

Ugh my head hurts again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 9:04 AM, 8492nd said:

And to be honest, my head hurts when I ask this: is everyone online=entire fandom?

The internet is where the adult fandom lives, yes. It's where we find each other, talk about the show, and share the fan works we make. Without a sense of community, it never would have turned into a whole thing. There would probably have been some older fans but they wouldn't have had any idea that others like them existed. And I'm pretty sure most bronies gave the show a look-see after hearing about it on the internet. There's a forum thread to that effect somewhere around here.

Pinkie Pie Pro Tip: dealing with other people and their different, stupid opinions is a valuable life skill to cultivate.  :approve:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Friendship is Horses said:

The internet is where the adult fandom lives, yes. It's where we find each other, talk about the show, and share the fan works we make. Without a sense of community, it never would have turned into a whole thing. There would probably have been some older fans but they wouldn't have had any idea that others like them existed. And I'm pretty sure most bronies gave the show a look-see after hearing about it on the internet. There's a forum thread to that effect somewhere around here.

Pinkie Pie Pro Tip: dealing with other people and their different, stupid opinions is a valuable life skill to cultivate.  :approve:

 

But the main thing is I want to completely disassociate myself from the adult fandom FOR GOOD. Repeat, FOR GOOD. Both online and offline

I have never had skills or interest in creating fan material and I compare myself to them. I feel inferior and inadequate when I'm on any pony site because they tell me I refuse to be informed about my opinions.
I'm the little guy who everyone looks down on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this