Steamworks

MLP Heroes Reborn

Whatever happened to the people saying they were going to create their own Heroes mod to replace what was lost with PF2? I haven't seen anything out of them since the downfall of PF2.

If they don't chime in with actual work done, who would be seriously interested in helping build such a mod? I don't think it's wise to undertake such a project solo (unless it was like super early Heroes where it was just Celestia and Luna), and I think a team would help prevent some of the stagnation Heroes had at times. It'd also be nice if an artist would help out so the textures for the Heroes models could be modified to look good while sporting team colors. I'd also like to not start development until summer (so I can spend some time learning SourcePawn, writing documentation, and let the ones in school get out of it for the summer).

As far as my current ideas for it go, I would like to start by keeping the code in it very minimalistic and do everything possible to keep the performance impact to both the server and client as minimal as possible. I'd also like to have the code publicly available and open source (I'm leaning towards beerware type licensing). If possible, I'm going to have the Heroes stored in a SQLite DB rather than hard coding them into the mod, meaning it'd be flexible enough for non-pony servers to easily make their own set of Heroes for it and it'd be possible to add Heroes without needing to update the plugin itself. For gameplay (this is probably where I'm gonna lose a lot of the Heroes crowd), the Heroes will still be OP, but they won't be OP in the 2000hp Engie way that DL had. Health values will fall closer to their base game counterparts (don't worry, the tanks will still get like 800hp). Hero abilities will try to balance MLP lore and taking some aspect of a TF2 class and running wild with it (Vinyl will be a brutal airshotter and AJ will be your flankbucking Sigafoo style Engie, for example (maybe)). I'd also like to keep the Heroes skill indexed, so there should be Heroes that anyone can pick up and do okay with (think Soldier from base TF2) and other Heroes who will be utterly worthless in the hands of bad players but utterly terrifying in the hands of a skilled player (think Sniper with the Machina Gibusvision n00b trying to shoot through windows vs the Unusual Anger rocking Sniper who's countersniping aimbotters).

• Like 1

As long as it works, I don't care how much health they have. No one else should, either.

Had to register for this:

Yes, I would ABSOLUTELY love to see Heroes come back. In any form.

Though I feel like Vinyl would be a brutal Demowoman class. Bass Cannon!

Starting from scratch gives us the opportunity to do everything right from the very beginning instead of having to patch and fix the mess that was MLP Heroes. This Heroes Reborn will be more a spiritual successor than a direct remake. 

The only reason I ever wanted the Heroes source code was to try optimizing it. 

Unfortunately the project ended up being abandoned not long after we started. I don't know if Quaaraq has done anything since then but I might be able to take another look at it since I actually know some coding now.

If I make it far enough to start implementing Heroes, Celestia and Luna will be first up. Currently, my idea is to have them based on Soldier, so 300hp, Cowmangler with stock stats (aside from the infinite reserve ammo bit from the CM), combined Buff Banner and Concheror with an expanded radius, and a Disciplinary Action. Still working on how they'll charge their banner, but the concept behind it is that they're military leaders and should be leading the charge into the fray while also magically buffing their armies.

Also, I do plan on making the plugin itself publicly available with the documentation to create your own Heroes. At that point, recreating DL's mod should be simple if my Heroes aren't your thing. 

I call texturing. And if what Borg said is true about having custom imported model animations and particles, then I can really have some fun designing custom special "taunts" for the heroes. Let me know if this gets going. :moonjuice:

• Like 1

So I'm gonna assume I'm coding solo on this. I think I'd like to have a functional prototype by Bronycon. This functional prototype will select a player from each team, force them onto a class, and give them a customized weapon. If I can do those 3 things, I should be able to make the mod happen. 

7 hours ago, Steamworks said:

So I'm gonna assume I'm coding solo on this. I think I'd like to have a functional prototype by Bronycon. This functional prototype will select a player from each team, force them onto a class, and give them a customized weapon. If I can do those 3 things, I should be able to make the mod happen. 

From the words of the Soldier: "God speed you magnificent bastard." :ameridash:

Getting ahead of myself, but Heroes are fun to brainstorm.

Rainbow Dash - Scout base who buffs nearby teammates with +1 to their cap rate. Currently thinking a health nerf to help balance it, 105hp. Not sure about weapons at the moment, but I'm leaning towards Soda Popper / Bonk or Crit-A-Cola / Atomizer.

Vinyl Scratch - Soldier base who's all about that gunshot bride. 200hp. If you remember her Bass Canon from MLP Heroes, this one will do extra knockback like that with almost 0 damage, but, once you're in the air, you better hope she can't hit you. I don't have hard numbers, but I'm thinking 150dmg minimum on targets knocked into the air by blast damage (also, it'll totally trigger a sample of a dubstep remix of Propane Nightmares if I can find one I like). Modified Original / Gunboats / maybe I'll recreate the original Equalizer for her.

Twilight Sparkle - Nothing hard on her yet, but I think she'll be a Sniper based Hero. I'm thinking she'll be able to do instant 450 on headshot but 0 damage on bodyshots/noscopes. Not sure how to balance that out. Probably gonna scrap this concept. Modified Stock Rifle / not sure what to put in the secondary slot / Stock Kukri

Fluttershy - Medic base. Might buff her to 175hp. If I can make it work, she'll be able to charge her Medigun to 200% in order to get Uber + Kritz at the same time. If popped at 100% - 199%, it'll just be an extended stock Uber (nearly 16 seconds at 199%). I also want to give her a Flutterrage if too many teammates die near her in a certain time frame. When it activates, the whole server will hear "You do NOT hurt my friends" and then she'll get Quick-Fix + Kritz on herself while she whips out her Overdose and goes ham on the other team. Overdose / Modified Stock Medigun / Amputator.

Applejack - Engineer base. Currently leaning towards 150hp. Her Teleporters and Dispensers will come out at level 3 rather than having to be upgraded. She'll have Minisentries, and I'm trying to come up with a way to really focus her on the flank controlling aggressive Engie. If you've seen From Engie With Love, that's what I want her playstyle to be. I'm thinking maybe a Frontier Justice that also gets crits from teleports, HP dispensed, and metal/ammo dispensed / Pistol / Gunslinger.

Chrysalis - Spy base. 125hp. She'll retain her disguise on backstab, but backstabs will only mark her target. Any health/ammo/metal the marked target receives will be copied to everyone on Chryssy's team. L'Etranger / Sapper / Modified Stock Knife / Cloak 'n' Dagger.

On 3/30/2016 at 5:34 PM, Steamworks said:

Getting ahead of myself, but Heroes are fun to brainstorm.

Rainbow Dash - Scout base who buffs nearby teammates with +1 to their cap rate. Currently thinking a health nerf to help balance it, 105hp. Not sure about weapons at the moment, but I'm leaning towards Soda Popper / Bonk or Crit-A-Cola / Atomizer.

Vinyl Scratch - Soldier base who's all about that gunshot bride. 200hp. If you remember her Bass Canon from MLP Heroes, this one will do extra knockback like that with almost 0 damage, but, once you're in the air, you better hope she can't hit you. I don't have hard numbers, but I'm thinking 150dmg minimum on targets knocked into the air by blast damage (also, it'll totally trigger a sample of a dubstep remix of Propane Nightmares if I can find one I like). Modified Original / Gunboats / maybe I'll recreate the original Equalizer for her.

Twilight Sparkle - Nothing hard on her yet, but I think she'll be a Sniper based Hero. I'm thinking she'll be able to do instant 450 on headshot but 0 damage on bodyshots/noscopes. Not sure how to balance that out. Probably gonna scrap this concept. Modified Stock Rifle / not sure what to put in the secondary slot / Stock Kukri

Fluttershy - Medic base. Might buff her to 175hp. If I can make it work, she'll be able to charge her Medigun to 200% in order to get Uber + Kritz at the same time. If popped at 100% - 199%, it'll just be an extended stock Uber (nearly 16 seconds at 199%). I also want to give her a Flutterrage if too many teammates die near her in a certain time frame. When it activates, the whole server will hear "You do NOT hurt my friends" and then she'll get Quick-Fix + Kritz on herself while she whips out her Overdose and goes ham on the other team. Overdose / Modified Stock Medigun / Amputator.

Applejack - Engineer base. Currently leaning towards 150hp. Her Teleporters and Dispensers will come out at level 3 rather than having to be upgraded. She'll have Minisentries, and I'm trying to come up with a way to really focus her on the flank controlling aggressive Engie. If you've seen From Engie With Love, that's what I want her playstyle to be. I'm thinking maybe a Frontier Justice that also gets crits from teleports, HP dispensed, and metal/ammo dispensed / Pistol / Gunslinger.

Chrysalis - Spy base. 125hp. She'll retain her disguise on backstab, but backstabs will only mark her target. Any health/ammo/metal the marked target receives will be copied to everyone on Chryssy's team. L'Etranger / Sapper / Modified Stock Knife / Cloak 'n' Dagger.

Rainbow Dash - Remove the cap rate, maybe give a slight conch-like speedboost to nearby players instead. Increase hp to 200. You'd need a base weapon as soda popper if you want to modify the popper for infinite flight.

Vinyl - Please, no extra knockback. That was pure cancer already, the knockback should've been halved. Have it mark targets for death if they get bounced high enough into the air.

Twilight - Think about it, 450 instant headshot. Any player who is good at sniper will abuse the crap out of that and destroy everything.

Fluttershy - Sounds fine, she was never strong before in the first place.

AJ - Any sentry that spawns at lvl 3 will be easy as HELL to just walk up to spawn with your team's support and just place a lvl 3 instantly. Then run away. Because if it's instant lvl 3s, no one would care to keep it healed, they'd just run away, get ammo, and build another when that one goes down. AJ was always broken, don't break it even more.

Chrys - Sounds fine.

That's my opinions and feedback on that. Hope you consider those for balancing if you do get that far.

• Like 1

No infinite flight, just a crap ton of mobility for Dashie. If a couple of Scouts go with her, they can backcap the shit out of you at 8x. The low health on her is to give the other team a chance at stopping this before they get to a point. 

I don't know how much force DL put behind Vinyl, but I plan on sending you flying. Like, you'll just be in space when she shoots your feet. The knock back on her before was annoying because it was whimpy and just enough to knock you off a point by like 6 inches. 

Anyone who's good at Sniper will already dominate. If anyone gets close to Twily, her only hope is quickscoping a target in the face that's all up in her face. 

A Medic who couldn't be forced was utterly devastating in the hands of a good Medic. 

AJ gets minis only, no full sentries. If a mini at spawn locks your team in spawn, uninstall the game. 

Oh nvm i misread lvl 3 as all across.

Again, uber knockback will make everyone want to use that class just to troll. Vinyl needs less knockback and more push force as a class. Give her the cannon, but also give a secondary like a 10 damage pomson at 250% faster firing rate. Streamless laser. And a market gardener, definately.

2 hours ago, Vin said:

Oh nvm i misread lvl 3 as all across.

Again, uber knockback will make everyone want to use that class just to troll. Vinyl needs less knockback and more push force as a class. Give her the cannon, but also give a secondary like a 10 damage pomson at 250% faster firing rate. Streamless laser. And a market gardener, definately 

What even is the concept behind your Vinyl? Mine is a mistress of airshots. 

AJ will just have regular teles. She's meant to be a support/flank control Engie. 

Also, with only 200hp, dicking around will just get Vinyl killed. While she's wasting time not getting frags, the other team can just collapse on top of her and kill her quickly.