8492nd

Why I think Fame and Misfortune was necessary

I'll be in the minority when I say that F and M was a much needed thing when it comes to addressing a serious fandom issue.

Why?
You have all these animators, editors, music composers, voice actors, producers, directors working 24/7/365, breaking their backs and getting very little hours of sleep just to produce something grandly wonderful and wanting us to be impressed.
And just how are they repaid back? With ingratitude and entitlement. Especially when there are false accusations of the staff hypocritically going against the optimistic theme of the show.

I will not generalize in this. I know it's not all fans.

I feel that this is a way for the entire staff to get back at the jerks and remind them they are not gods making divine works.

I should know better because I've worked hard many times only to be blown off. The feeling of having your efforts taken for granted stings really bad.

you?

• Like 1

Every content creator has to deal with fan negativity; that's always been the deal. When you make something and put it out there for mass consumption, a certain subset of the audience is going to publicly bitch about it. I would have done this differently, why did you have that happen, why is she hooking up with him? Professionals in the industry tend to develop a thick skin and learn to tune it out.

However. It wasn't so bad in the days when somebody had to sit down, write a letter, buy a stamp, and send it off to somebody who gets paid to read them on the intended recipients' behalf. Now we've got Twitter and comment sections under everything, and everybody wants to get their two cents in. Even when most of the people who see a thing are quietly enjoying it, the endless stream of griping from the vocal minority can be pretty demoralizing for creators. Some people can deal with it better than others, but it's still one of the shittier aspects of having an Internet. All it takes is one negative comment out of a hundred to just get right under your skin and ruin your whole day.

I'd like to think that if I got popular enough as an artist for people to start riding me about every little creative decision that differs from their own vision for my story, which I spent years honing my skills and ignored fun things to get the practice in to be able to write, while they were playing Call of Duty or getting drunk after work, my response would be a cheerful, "Fuck you, too." Or perhaps, in the words of the inimitable Ross O'Donovan: Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Friendship is Horses said:

Every content creator has to deal with fan negativity; that's always been the deal. When you make something and put it out there for mass consumption, a certain subset of the audience is going to publicly bitch about it. I would have done this differently, why did you have that happen, why is she hooking up with him? Professionals in the industry tend to develop a thick skin and learn to tune it out.

However. It wasn't so bad in the days when somebody had to sit down, write a letter, buy a stamp, and send it off to somebody who gets paid to read them on the intended recipients' behalf. Now we've got Twitter and comment sections under everything, and everybody wants to get their two cents in. Even when most of the people who see a thing are quietly enjoying it, the endless stream of griping from the vocal minority can be pretty demoralizing for creators. Some people can deal with it better than others, but it's still one of the shittier aspects of having an Internet. All it takes is one negative comment out of a hundred to just get right under your skin and ruin your whole day.

I'd like to think that if I got popular enough as an artist for people to start riding me about every little creative decision that differs from their own vision for my story, which I spent years honing my skills and ignored fun things to get the practice in to be able to write, while they were playing Call of Duty or getting drunk after work, my response would be a cheerful, "Fuck you, too." Or perhaps, in the words of the inimitable Ross O'Donovan: Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped.

Well do you still think this ep was optimistic like all the other eps? Or do you think that the entire staff let their emotions get the better of them and finally lashed out?

Unfortunately the lashing out part happens to me when I've had it. I can only imagine after 7 years of abuse from those particular individuals, I think it's logical that they finally said something after being relentlessly beaten down.

• Like 1

I honestly don't think they were lashing out per se, I felt it was more of a nod to the fandom that they recognized the problems and gripes that they had and I feel like they were trying to poke fun at those people who were being negative at the show. I mean, what the ponies aka "the fans" were saying were true as far as how the Mane 6 had been in previous episodes, but to think that the animators were lashing out seems a bit harsh. Granted, I'm also in that minority given that I liked the episode, mostly because I like episodes where the creators acknowledge the fans and especially when certain things get very meta about what's happening.

• Like 2

I can understand that. I can respect that they're not entirely wrong to lash out. But I don't think it makes a good story, because it's mostly a preachy collection of skits, and I still think a disproportionate amount of focus was given to specific complaints rather than the abusive ways in which they were expressed. Mostly I just didn't find it very funny. 

1 hour ago, Thrond said:

I can understand that. I can respect that they're not entirely wrong to lash out. But I don't think it makes a good story, because it's mostly a preachy collection of skits, and I still think a disproportionate amount of focus was given to specific complaints rather than the abusive ways in which they were expressed. Mostly I just didn't find it very funny. 

So, you're saying F and M, is one of the worst if not the worst ep in the entire series?

1 hour ago, Toki Zensekai said:

I honestly don't think they were lashing out per se, I felt it was more of a nod to the fandom that they recognized the problems and gripes that they had and I feel like they were trying to poke fun at those people who were being negative at the show. I mean, what the ponies aka "the fans" were saying were true as far as how the Mane 6 had been in previous episodes, but to think that the animators were lashing out seems a bit harsh. Granted, I'm also in that minority given that I liked the episode, mostly because I like episodes where the creators acknowledge the fans and especially when certain things get very meta about what's happening.

So the majority actually hate the ep? Like 90% of the world fanbase actually hate it?

48 minutes ago, 8492nd said:

So, you're saying F and M, is one of the worst if not the worst ep in the entire series?

I would say it's one of my least favourites, but if I had to quickly list my bottom 10 I don't think I would include it. 

5 hours ago, Thrond said:

Gotta agree with this. And quite honestly, we know that no one's perfect. Thing is, that doesn't mean people shouldn't be called out if they screw up.

7 hours ago, Thrond said:

I would say it's one of my least favourites, but if I had to quickly list my bottom 10 I don't think I would include it. 

And everyone else thinks so too? As it's objectively one of the worst episodes the writers ever came up with and this ep further shows how more deplorable the staff are becoming?

4 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Gotta agree with this. And quite honestly, we know that no one's perfect. Thing is, that doesn't mean people shouldn't be called out if they screw up.

So you're essentially calling out the entire staff too? They're to blame also for impulsively choosing to be immature about how to respond back?

3 hours ago, 8492nd said:

And everyone else thinks so too? As it's objectively one of the worst episodes the writers ever came up with and this ep further shows how more deplorable the staff are becoming?

I don't make claims to objectivity, and I don't think this indicates any sort of character defect on the staff. I also know that a fair few people were quite fond of this particular episode. Why are you asking me this? 

3 hours ago, 8492nd said:

Then I should think this ep is a necessary evil in that needs to exist in the world whether you like it or not

I'm not convinced this does anything other than allow the writers to blow off steam at the expense of their audience. Certainly some people found it cathartic - there's even some ideas there I agree with - but I think there's a better way to give a message about keeping the people who appreciate your work in mind, and I don't think the people who treat the writers poorly will learn anything from this. 

2 hours ago, Thrond said:

I don't think the people who treat the writers poorly will learn anything from this. 

*Coughlostsanitycough*

• Like 1

They were well within their rights to address the small but vocal group that thinks MLP is supposed to be some sort of personal happiness catering service.

Toola Roola and Coconut Cream (great art on these two btw) represented the core demographic of children who MLP wishes to send it's message to, and I'm fine with that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snide Ways said:

They were well within their rights to address the small but vocal group that thinks MLP is supposed to be some sort of personal happiness catering service.

Toola Roola and Coconut Cream (great art on these two btw) represented the core demographic of children who MLP wishes to send it's message to, and I'm fine with that.

And it would be horrible if the adult fans started attacking the children, saying that their innocent lenses are shortsighted, illogical and unacceptable in their more mature sphere.

What if that were to happen?

• Like 2