8492nd

Psychology question about haters who watch the show

We've all seen haters/former fans/ critics/reviewers who criticize/cherry-pick the show for this or that.

But what I probably will never understand is: if they hate the show for what it is now and say they have already kicked pony out of their lives, why do they continue to come back?
Can anyone answer from a psychological standpoint?

Why do people hate it at all? Frankly, because they're morons, who have likely only watched a few episodes at most. I've seen the claims that the characters are all stereotypes and that the plots are all the same "something happens between the characters and they learn a lesson at the end" plot. But anyone who's given it a real chance knows that they eventually do develop beyond their stereotypes, have plenty of unique traits to keep them from being complete stereotypes even before we start seeing real development, and that the plots aren't as identical as they're trying to claim they are. Unless they think that all shows that follow a slice-of-life and life lesson formula are like that. Bunch of picky idiots that need to open their mind a bit more.

People hate it for what it is now for the same reason people hate newer seasons of other shows like The Simpsons and Spongebob. The newer episodes (supposedly) don't have the "classic" feel to them, and certain changes, such as alicorn Twilight "ruined" the show. They're so caught up in their bias and cherry picking and wanting the show to go back to its old ways, they'll even find excuses to hate on awesomeness such as Twilight's Kingdom. They'll also ignore that those later seasons did a lot of world building, and continued to develop the mane six by further exploring their dreams/goals. I even mentioned in another topic why I feel like characters like Thorax actually add some freshness to the show.

That's my two cents anyway.

• Like 3

Coming from a standpoint from my location, many people I've met just assume it's for younger audiences (Which it technically is), and probably have a negative stereotype based on all the male fans of the show. Generally I haven't experienced much hate on being a fan of MLP despite being a male, but it could be that I have other things that 'eradicate' (Maybe?) the 'feminine' stereotype of males who watch the show, have merchandise, etc.

Of course, there might be the few ones who just do it to be edgy and/or follow the hype train as to not impose upon their status.

On 12/18/2017 at 8:04 PM, 8492nd said:

Can anyone answer from a psychological standpoint?

It could be that they've watched the show religiously for so long that they keep coming back as a result of habit. Or it could be that they still have hope that the show will return to its former glory (or what they consider to be its former glory) even if they won't admit it. Or they don't actually hate the show and are just trolling for the sake of attention, but I'd say this one is the least likely of the three and the second is the most likely.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2017 at 4:45 AM, PixelGrip94 said:

It could be that they still have hope that the show will return to its former glory (or what they consider to be its former glory) even if they won't admit it.

I think this was the case for LostSanity, because his primary complaint was always about Discord, Trixie, and Starlight Glimmer. My guess is he was hoping that they wouldn't use these characters as much as they did, and when they were the heroes of Season 6's finale, he was pretty salty about the whole issue. I mean, he though this whole fandom was toxic, which I think if he was referring to the fans of these characters, it's a very niche group. I only know a handful of Trixie fans, and most people don't like her in the first place and I know next to nothing about Discord and Starlight fans, but if he was pinning the fandom's toxicity on those type of fans, he was an even bigger idiot than we could comprehend.

14 hours ago, Toki Zensekai said:

I think this was the case for LostSanity, because his primary complaint was always about Discord, Trixie, and Starlight Glimmer. My guess is he was hoping that they wouldn't use these characters as much as they did, and when they were the heroes of Season 6's finale, he was pretty salty about the whole issue. I mean, he though this whole fandom was toxic, which I think if he was referring to the fans of these characters, it's a very niche group. I only know a handful of Trixie fans, and most people don't like her in the first place and I know next to nothing about Discord and Starlight fans, but if he was pinning the fandom's toxicity on those type of fans, he was an even bigger idiot than we could comprehend.

Yeah, if it's not obvious from the multiple times he mentions it in every post he's ever posted regardless of how related it is to the subject at hand, he has a real problem with the villain redemption angle the show has seemed to make a recent habit of. Then when someone calls him out on how often he's mentioned it and the fact that everybody already knows this and his constant mentioning of it is not only irritating, but hypocritical in how he hates the show staff "shoving redeemed characters down people's throats" by their constant use of them and yet he sees fit to constantly shove down our throats how much he doesn't like it, he gets incredibly defensive and says the fandom doesn't love and tolerate and doesn't welcome his opinion because it doesn't match the vocal majority.

But honestly, I'm fine with his opinion and I don't think he's an idiot. It is HIS opinion after all and he has valid reasons for feeling the way he feels (I'll even admit to the show's reformations being so-so and used a bit too often as of late). I disagree with him being openly ignorant of how the characters reformed are developed after the fact, but it is still his right to do so and have his opinion.  It just gets annoying how he constantly says he's on the fence about sticking with the show and the fandom when it's pretty obvious the show staff is not going to do what he wants it to do and just drop these characters cold turkey. I assume he's been doing this since at least Starlight's redemption (perhaps even as early as Discord and Trixie's redemption) and it's gone on long enough. He needs to make a decision to stay or leave the show and/or fandom and stop pretending he's on the fence. If he's still watching the show at this point, then he needs to stop pretending he's watching the show to see if he still wants to stay. If he truly believes what he says about leaving the show if they keep using the reformed villains that he says has ruined the show, then he needs to go through with what he says and leave.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PixelGrip94 said:

Yeah, if it's not obvious from the multiple times he mentions it in every post he's ever posted regardless of how related it is to the subject at hand, he has a real problem with the villain redemption angle the show has seemed to make a recent habit of. Then when someone calls him out on how often he's mentioned it and the fact that everybody already knows this and his constant mentioning of it is not only irritating, but hypocritical in how he hates the show staff "shoving redeemed characters down people's throats" by their constant use of them and yet he sees fit to constantly shove down our throats how much he doesn't like it, he gets incredibly defensive and says the fandom doesn't love and tolerate and doesn't welcome his opinion because it doesn't match the vocal majority.

But honestly, I'm fine with his opinion and I don't think he's an idiot. It is HIS opinion after all and he has valid reasons for feeling the way he feels (I'll even admit to the show's reformations being so-so and used a bit too often as of late). I disagree with him being openly ignorant of how the characters reformed are developed after the fact, but it is still his right to do so and have his opinion.  It just gets annoying how he constantly says he's on the fence about sticking with the show and the fandom when it's pretty obvious the show staff is not going to do what he wants it to do and just drop these characters cold turkey. I assume he's been doing this since at least Starlight's redemption (perhaps even as early as Discord and Trixie's redemption) and it's gone on long enough. He needs to make a decision to stay or leave the show and/or fandom and stop pretending he's on the fence. If he's still watching the show at this point, then he needs to stop pretending he's watching the show to see if he still wants to stay. If he truly believes what he says about leaving the show if they keep using the reformed villains that he says has ruined the show, then he needs to go through with what he says and leave.

At this point he has already left, and I think Frenchiette has banned him from the forums as well.

11 hours ago, Toki Zensekai said:

At this point he has already left, and I think Frenchiette has banned him from the forums as well.

Thank Celestia. It's no wonder I haven't seen him post in a while. I'm surprised it took this long for him to get banned. Judging from how many people know of him, I would've thought they'd kicked him out ages ago.

On 12/18/2017 at 9:04 PM, 8492nd said:

haters/former fans/ critics/reviewers

That's at least three different categories who probably have very different reasons. 

1. "Haters" watch it because either they get a weird thrill from complaining, they think it's somehow interesting despite not liking it, or they just want to upset fans of the show. 
  2. "Former fans" have either been watching it too long to stop now, or are hoping it will improve in the future. 
  3. "Critics" and "reviewers" may have any number of reasons for complaining, and they critique the show because they think it deserves to be analyzed - which is a compliment. If they complain a lot, that's probably just because they think the show can be even better than it is and think pointing out how is useful. 
  4. Many reviewers, like myself, may also be "former fans" who wish for the show to return to some sort of glory days or realize some sort of unfulfilled potential. 
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Thrond said:

That's at least three different categories who probably have very different reasons. 

1. "Haters" watch it because either they get a weird thrill from complaining, they think it's somehow interesting despite not liking it, or they just want to upset fans of the show. 
  2. "Former fans" have either been watching it too long to stop now, or are hoping it will improve in the future. 
  3. "Critics" and "reviewers" may have any number of reasons for complaining, and they critique the show because they think it deserves to be analyzed - which is a compliment. If they complain a lot, that's probably just because they think the show can be even better than it is and think pointing out how is useful. 
  4. Many reviewers, like myself, may also be "former fans" who wish for the show to return to some sort of glory days or realize some sort of unfulfilled potential. 

That sounds about right. However, considering the show has gone on for so long at this stage, I've seen more of numbers 2-4 then number 1 recently. It seems like being a number 1 doesn't give enough satisfaction for people to bother doing it anymore. Based on what I've seen anyway

I find that today the hate isn't really as strong as back in say 2011-2013 when I was really into the show. It was easy for haters to attack the community because they only saw small parts of the fan base that made us look bad, plus the popularity was so high I think they felt threatened by the thought that a show aimed at girls could become so popular with all age groups. Thankfully the people who do know that I like the show don't really care since MLP isn't really in the mainstream so much now. 

On 12/28/2017 at 1:36 PM, PixelGrip94 said:

Thank Celestia. It's no wonder I haven't seen him post in a while. I'm surprised it took this long for him to get banned. Judging from how many people know of him, I would've thought they'd kicked him out ages ago.

And he deserved it. Every humiliating moment of it.

15 hours ago, Thrond said:

Glory days. As if I effing see MLP being in the fking dark ages. AM I WRONG?

And I think I choose to be attacked for being willfully ignorant of the flaws than to spend even a second analyzing it. I find it pointless and a waste of valuable life. Now go on and label me as a devil for  never having chosen to review anything in my life.

19 hours ago, 8492nd said:

Glory days. As if I effing see MLP being in the fking dark ages. AM I WRONG?

And I think I choose to be attacked for being willfully ignorant of the flaws than to spend even a second analyzing it. I find it pointless and a waste of valuable life. Now go on and label me as a devil for  never having chosen to review anything in my life.

Stop being defensive. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 12:27 AM, Ammy said:

I find that today the hate isn't really as strong as back in say 2011-2013 when I was really into the show. It was easy for haters to attack the community because they only saw small parts of the fan base that made us look bad, plus the popularity was so high I think they felt threatened by the thought that a show aimed at girls could become so popular with all age groups. Thankfully the people who do know that I like the show don't really care since MLP isn't really in the mainstream so much now. 

Yeah, the hate has definitely died down since the show was in its heyday (I feel like the fandom was at its peak during Season 2, personally, not that I personally feel the show hasn't been as good as it was during Season 2, more so that many fans have lost interest in it since then for varying reasons). I think its a mix of people getting over it, people focusing on more current and important issues, and the show not being as big a deal with media outlets as a result of being around so long so people see making fun of it as less of the "in" thing to do.