I can literally tour the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone for under 200$

If this is a legit deal at all.

http://tourkiev.com/

>97 dollars special deal for a regular tour

>450 for private tour of one

>250 for private tour of two

>205 for private tour of three

>175 for private tour of four.

Of course this doesn't account for other expenditures like the plane ticket out of the US and a hotel room. But damn I thought such a trip would be so much more cheaper.

I now want to visit The Zone, and leave behind either a Pipboy bobble head or a LittlePip figurine to leave my mark on The Zone, like so many other photographers have done before in the name of artistic licensing. In fact if I should, I may go with two Pips. One to leave behind, the other will be carried through.

The Zone is also very lush.

635800339319782940-1295208736_chernobyl2

2 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

I'll bring my pip-boy!

Nah, if we're going to Slavlandia nuclear wasteland we do this in the Slavlandia style.

With cheap track suits and ten-dollar Geiger counters.

21 hours ago, AaronMk said:

Nah, if we're going to Slavlandia nuclear wasteland we do this in the Slavlandia style.

With cheap track suits and ten-dollar Geiger counters.

In that case you'll need a Soviet era Gas mask, an illegally purchased AK-74, a ripoff Adidas Tracksuit, Two crates of hard alcohol, a crate of barbecue meat, a UAZ and a Geiger counter that's older than you.

7 hours ago, Stalker said:

the zone is a beautiful place o-o

From what I've read about it, nature is slowly claiming it back, with endangered species calling it home.

I can recommend a book as well, which details the events before, during, and after the meltdown.
http://www.amazon.com/Voices-Chernobyl-History-Nuclear-Disaster/dp/0312425848

13 hours ago, Stalker said:

the zone is a beautiful place o-o

And lethal if you're a moron. But you're required to go in with a trained guide who not only knows radiation like the back of his hand but actually works on the programs in the Zone to seal off CNPP.

8 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

In that case you'll need a Soviet era Gas mask, an illegally purchased AK-74, a ripoff Adidas Tracksuit, Two crates of hard alcohol, a crate of barbecue meat, a UAZ and a Geiger counter that's older than you.

Hell ya.

Even the Red Forest - so-called because that region received a direct hit of high-levels of radiation from impacting debris that it killed the trees outright, turning the leaves the color of "dried blood" - isn't so "red" anymore.

Then:

red%20forest.jpg

Now:

redforest_081-640x250.jpg

Nature is pretty persistent and has sprung back in the absence of man. I was reading a blog written by a guy who visited Chernobyl and despite some areas have an ambient radiation 60-100+ times greater than his home (London) nature was well in the process of reclamation. Birds fill many of the abandoned buildings and all sorts of wild-life have crawled back, despite some people afraid that disaster sites are harmful to wild-life.

Clearly, nature doesn't give a shit.

Still, you wouldn't drink the local water or grow anything in the soil and not expect to take in more Rads/Rems than you would like. Though there are people slowly starting to come back, the so-called "Self Settlers" who sort of work themselves into the safer areas of The Zone to live long-term.

5 hours ago, Pinkierawr said:

DO IT! MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!

I do plan to do research to figure how much it'll be, given the lack of interest from anyone else though I may budget for a private deal for just me, somehow raising the cost. And if Chernobyl is my only reason to be in Ukraine I figure I should do the longest tour I could find, within budget.

Next is airfare, hotel costs, and anything else and I could begin budgeting.