SD13

Last to Post 3: Revenge

Game programing is more and more using a bunch of libraries and frameworks which code for you to save time.

That explains well why some games are more and more glitched and devs and unoptimized, and why devs have no idea how to fix it, because they don't know how the library works deeply or they can't modify its content without break the game.

If you really want to, I advice you to "re-invent the wheel", which is absolutely necessary to understand how things works. Like using a library only when you could code it yourself.

That's how I work personally, when I can. But it's extremely difficult to apply this philosophy, and people generally prefer being able to, over to know how.

I think it's good to learn programming WITHOUT the libraries, but then use them later. Know how to not use the libraries if you need to fix something, but make use of them when you can.

Programming learning steps :

• Step one : Oh my Luna it's so complicated, it's like Chines.
  • Step two : Eh, I'm so skilled, I can do what I want, I just need time.
  • Step three : Oh my Luna, I know nothing.
  • Step four : Eh, I'm so skilled, let's see what noob I can help on stack overflow.

Of course each steps go on for years. And you can add 2 steps more for people who never stop to learn emote.RDlaugh.png

On 5/28/2018 at 1:15 PM, Fintale said:

Where is everybody? Have somebody eliminated them? Maybe that somebody is the only one who will reply to this post?

I was on vacation.

17 hours ago, Bakaarion said:

Programming learning steps :

• Step one : Oh my Luna it's so complicated, it's like Chines.
  •  Step two : Eh, I'm so skilled, I can do what I want, I just need time.
  • Step three : Oh my Luna, I know nothing.
  • Step four : Eh, I'm so skilled, let's see what noob I can help on stack overflow.

Of course each steps go on for years. And you can add 2 steps more for people who never stop to learn emote.RDlaugh.png

I can't use StackOverflow. I'll ruin my high reputation of 12.

Non-indented code is like writing a text with no space between words. It may get people upset because they'll get it like a a lack of respect.

But of course, developpers are also very proud of themselves and they loooove giving lessons to show you how they are skilled, it counts too emote.RDlaugh.png

I had non-indented code because I wrote the entire thing in a text editor that DIDN'T SUPPORT TABS! D:<

Use spaces. 2, or 4.

I use tabs but my IDE turn it into 4 spaces. And honestly I think that spaces is the best way to indent.

And honestly I think that spaces is the best way to indent.

Do you REALLY want to start that war? Here? Where we're already fighting?

I just replace every time there would be an indent with a blank newline. Keep each "intended" section separate. Plus, you learn to keep track of brackets. Sometimes you gotta count them.

The end bracket and then another newline. Ends up something like this:

code
code
if(code) {

code
code

}
code

My Luna :monocle:

code
code

if(code) {
  code
  code
}

code

Isn't that clearer ?

Okay okay, sometimes mine would be more like

code
code
if(code) code code
code

If the content is not too long.

They're optional in almost all languages, but only for the first line >w< You're gonna make a mistake

emote.RDproud2.png For the first operation, not line. It ends with ;

... Would say a fkin cringe developer that you wanna struggle through your screen.

18 hours ago, Lilly said:

Ughhghghghhghghgh, please use the brackets. We don't need another goto fail

Agreed! I've heard that in C you might get some weird behavior if you think you're calling a function in if clause but it's actually a multi line macro without brackets. When the preprocessor expands the macro only the execution of its first line depends on the if condition. Personally I don't use macros and I always use brackets even if I only have one line of code in that scope.

Edit: Oops, what was I thinking. Of course I use some simple macros like:

#define VAR_H 10

#define VAR_L 11

to handle data easier, something like this:

uint16_t var = ((((uint16_t) serial_buf[VAR_H]) << 8) | ( (uint16_t) serial_buf[VAR_L]));